College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Oklahoma Powers That Be Undecided on Expansion

0 HS
kjonesATX's picture
May 9, 2016 at 4:45pm
22 Comments

Apparently there is a disagreement between the board of regents members, and the OU president when it comes to expansion. The President, David Boren, has been very vocal recently about the desire to expand to 12 teams, add the conference championship, and create a Big 12 Network. Now, the chairman of the board of regents at OU, Max Weitzenhoffer, is saying that he and other members of the board are not in favor.

On the one hand, it seems pretty obvious they need to expand and go to 12 teams and do everything that Boren has been vocal about. But on the other hand, I get why they are hesitant to expand right now. All of the "possible candidates" to add have some glaring weaknesses. If they have one thing going for them, say TV market, they have competitiveness or geography against them. And so on..

Here is the link.

Other juicy tidbits:

The Big 12's dysfunction is no secret. An Oklahoma source told CBS Sports that the school "was "within 30 minutes" of leaving for the Pac-10 in 2010. That's a reference to Pac-12 commissioner Larry Scott's reported interest in raiding of six Big 12 teams in June of that year to form a Pac-16.

Weitzenhoffer explained why the Big 12 stands to gain little in expanding to schools most commonly mentioned -- Boise State, BYU, UCF, Cincinnati, Connecticut,Houston, Memphis and South Florida, among others.

"Those are the ones I keep hearing," Weitzenhoffer said. "They have no seating capacities in their stadiums. They really don't build them up. They really don't have any TV. I really don't know what we have to gain by that."

"The problem with Cincinnati is ... then they start getting all this money," Weitzenhoffer said. "Then what do we do? We build up somebody we don't want to build up."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 22 Comments