College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

College Football Fan Bases Most Obsessed With Their Rival

0 HS
Defiance's picture
February 24, 2016 at 10:49am
122 Comments

I came across this article in my one my many Internet wanderings and thought it to be rather appropriate considering all the conversation lately here on 11W about colleges that are NOT tOSU and some of the varying opinions on said topic.

How's this for the first line in the article, quite the lead in, right?!

Jealous much?

That's the question for the college football fan bases most obsessed with their rival. It's not enough that they care about their own teams, but they incessantly crash message boards and comment sections on items that deal only with their rival.

I found #1 on the list rather... intriguing.

1. Michigan State: Fans of the Spartans have always been obsessed with Michigan, which doesn't even consider its in-state competition as the chief rival (not even close). But Sparty hate for the Wolverines has reached a crescendo after Jim Harbaugh's return to Ann Arbor as coach.

While number 1 was interesting, here's the real zinger. Check out #10!!

10. Ohio State: This is truly a strange one. Ohio State has beaten Michigan in 11 of the past 12 years. It's won a national championship in 2014. Yet the Buckeyes fans are still eternally obsessed about all things Wolverines.

Whether it's the refusal to acknowledge its rivals by name (TTUN - The Team Up North) or the attempt to eliminate the letter M from the alphabet (sponsored by the governor), the entire state of Ohio just seems to have a buckeye up its you-know-what about Michigan. And it's only getting worse with Harbaugh's return to Ann Arbor.

I'm banking on this being a great launching point for a spirited conversation about how we view other teams in the B1G East. Here's a link for the full read.

So without further ado, what say you 11W nation?

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 122 Comments