College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Mike Gundy seems like a good dude

0 HS
Brutus's picture
October 26, 2015 at 9:58pm
20 Comments

I've always had a soft spot for Mike Gundy after his "I'm 40. I'm a man." tirade against the media. I felt for him a few years ago when the other OSU got shafted in favor of a horrible LSU-Bama rematch for the national championship, particularly when his only loss came on the heels of a plane crash involving the Oklahoma State women's basketball team.  This weekend, he and the entire Stillwater community had to endure another tragedy.  This was his response when asked how he addressed his team prior to their game this weekend:

We told them the truth. That's the way we handle situations in our group, with good news, bad news or any news at all. There's really no comparison to a tragic incident like this morning, but we told them the truth in our pregame conversation before we came to the stadium. Part of the development of young people in our organization is knowing that there are things in our lives that we can control, and there are things that we can't control. Today's incident was something we couldn't do anything about. There was certainly not anything we could do if we were going to play the game. Our players understand that. My message to them was that a decision was made to play the game so we need to play the game. After that, we need to do everything we can to help the people and the families involved."

I thought this was worth sharing. Much respect for Coach Gundy. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments