College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Bielema provides "his side of the story" in regards to his intentional flop to draw a penalty.

0 HS
Gobucks2204's picture
October 15, 2015 at 3:41pm
56 Comments

The flop heard round the world took place last weekend. I believe some one posted a link on this site a few days ago after the video was released, and it has been touched on in the Buckshots.

Here is the link to the Buckshot: 

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/college-football/2015/10/61358/video-bert-...

Here is a link to the article with the video, and Berts video and written response regarding the incident.

http://www.al.com/alabamafootball/index.ssf/2015/10/bret_bielema_says_he...

Here is a link to Bert's video response to the incident. His response is from 3:40-8:35. It is a quick watch and well worth it.

http://www.arkansasonline.com/videos/2015/oct/13/12008/

Here is the video evidence of Bielema's flop and celebration:

Bielema claims he was pushed:

"I kinda knew, just as a coach, you feel these things coming and so one of the things I learned early on with coach (Hayden) Fry was when you're stepping in between players, especially if you have a game-like situation, to put your face to your players because it comes across as confrontational. So I jumped in front. ... I knew my players weren't going to touch me, I knew that.

"So I kinda jumped in front and then there's a lot of things going on. I know I got pushed out. I don't know if whatever happened, but I turned around and that's when I saw the flag and knew something happened. But the league told me it was more off of the action towards other players rather than anything directed towards my actions or him pushing me into my actions, or whatever it was."

Bielema laughs off the idea he was the instigator:

"I'm not that quick," he told reporters in Fayetteville.

And the celebration dance:

"I probably do that 10 times a game when good things happen," Bielema said. That was a good thing. We had an interception that gave us the ball in their red zone, a chance to score. I would do that same dance if we did the same thing tomorrow. It wasn't a reaction to the penalty. It was more of a reaction to we just intercepted a pass ..."

Bielema attacks the video and its origin:

"When the (commissioner) talked to me, the people that are involved in those situations are looking into that," Bielema said. "There is a huge concern ... you always just worry there are cameras on the sideline, especially that one had to be on our sideline, you worry if anything is getting covered from a signal standpoint, communication in between series, as coaches we shouldn't have to police everything that's going on over there.

Lastly, Bielema blames the critics:

"Bring it on, baby. It just is what it is when you’re 2-4. It’s a world full of hate."

Bert just being Bert.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 56 Comments