College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

The Eye Test

0 HS
YTOWNBUCKI's picture
July 9, 2015 at 9:30am
51 Comments

On the CFP Committee, former Vanderbilt (yes, Vanderbilt) coach Bobby Johnson will be replacing Archie Manning.  He had some words about how he's going to evaluate teams this fall.

Former Vanderbilt coach Bobby Johnson, who replaced Archie Manning in the spring, told ESPN.com he will rely heavily on the eye test rather than crunch numbers, a method many people would consider questionable.

"I don't want to get too involved with statistics," Johnson said. "I like to watch games and then I'll go back and look at statistics and see what may have been the big difference in that one team winning or losing."

Ok, this eye test thing is kind of ridiculous.  IMO, it basically allows for these folks to say that the eye test was the reason a 3-loss SEC team gets in over, say, a 1-loss B1G champion (not named Ohio State).

It also, to me, seems like some of these dudes have a demigod attitude that they know more about college football than anyone and only their eyes can see how good a team is.

Some more tidbits:

"It always gets down to who can execute and who can get the job done when the pressure's on. To me, that's the big thing. That's looking at the coaching staff, that's looking at the players, the kickers, everything. There's a lot of stuff to look at, but when it gets down to it, the old eye test is probably the most important."

Johnson, 64, compiled a 29-66 record (12-52 SEC) in eight years with the Commodores and had just one winning season.

Link for more reading, but it's mostly covered here.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 51 Comments