College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Interesting thoughts on upcoming B1G TV contract

0 HS
hetuck's picture
March 27, 2015 at 10:19am
11 Comments

http://my.chicagotribune.com/#section/-1/article/p2p-83030777/

1. The fact it is the last major sports contract of the decade inflates its worth. Live sports are increasingly valuable to networks as they are the only thing that can't be found by cutting the cord. 

2. I agree that a multi-channel package is likely. I like the idea of a "Big Ten Game of the Week" being touted during Fox NFL broadcasts. I could see a relationship much like the SEC has with CBS. 

3. Adding Rutgers and Maryland increases the game inventory. I could see a Fox/ABC/ESPN package where Fox alternates with ABC/ESPN for first choice for a game of the week, ABC/ESPN keeping essentially what they have now, and the rest on BTN. Don't forget the new package will include the BIG Championship Game currently covered under a separate Fox deal. 

4. For basketball, keep the current CBS/ESPN arrangement for higher price. Yes, that means the B1G championship game right before the selection show. 

5. The rest of the B1G will owe OSU a big thank you. You can bet Delaney will point out the Sugar Bowl and NCG are the two-highest viewed events in cable history. Those extra TV sets weren't in Enterprise, AL or Medford, OR. I think the estimates of $45M per school may be a bit low. That estimate was made before last season's success. I wouldn't be surprised to see $50M for the reasons listed above. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 11 Comments