College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Cardale may have a point, why go to class if you are going to be a professional athlete?

0 HS
lhardeman's picture
March 14, 2015 at 5:20pm
39 Comments

Cardale may have been on something.  If the point of college is to prepare young men/women for their chosen profession, why do college athletes have to attend class if they plan on becoming a professional athlete?  Many times athletes have athletic schedules that take up crazy amounts of time and are "advised" to pick certain classes or certain majors because they interfere less with their athletic demands.  Personally, I think this can be avoided if athletes are given a sort of "lifetime" scholarship.  They can choose to either take classes while they are pursuing their college athletic careers or they can choose to go to school after their professional careers are over.  That way they can still receive an education if they choose to later and it will allow them the maximum amount of time needed to prepare themselves for their short professional athletic career.  I believe it can also help those college athletes who aren't necessarily prepared for college work, by allowing a stipulation that if your academic skills aren't on the level they need to be, they will take courses that will allow them to catch up during the time they are in school.  I find it so sad that so many professional athletes after their careers are over are broke, don't have a valid education, or have any way of improving their lives.  I believe this could be a positive first step in helping to rectify this. What are your thoughts? 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 39 Comments