College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Starting to follow Tom Herman in Houston

0 HS
Squirrel Master's picture
January 20, 2015 at 12:34pm
20 Comments

Hey, since we are dissecting the Buckeyes National Championship and also knee deep with recruiting for a little while, I decided to go follow up on our good buddy Tom Herman and what he is doing down in Houston. Now I am probably not aware as much as some of you but for those like me who are somewhat interested in what he is doing, here are some bullets that I have found on 24/7 and Bleacher Report (I know BR sucks, but not much out there)

• Herman has hired Major Applewhite as his OC. Former Texas Co-OC under Mack Brown, former starting QB at Texas too.
  • Todd Orlando as the DC. Former DC at Utah State who had a top 30 defense in FBS this past year.
  • Oscar Giles as DL coach is another former Texas staffer, and a big time recruiter.
  • another smart move was to hire a bigtime HS HC from the Houston area. He also just helped coach at the UA all america game. (Herman is really finding guys who recruit the area really well)
  • A backup QB from Utah is transferring in. Adam Schulz. Haven't heard of him so not sure how he fits Herman's system.
  • Oregon Sophomore WR Chance Allen will transfer to Houston and apply for chance to play this year.

It looks like he is stepping in with a decent recruiting class already committed and is bringing in a coaching staff that is experienced in working the Texas area. 3 of the top 6 recruits are WR. They are all big, so not sure if he is getting a speedy H-back yet. There is a pro style QB committed, so I assume he will be looking for a dual threat QB.

The way he recruits Texas, I have no doubt he will pull in a couple 4 stars soon. I will say this, he is doing better recruiting then Harbaugh so far!

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 20 Comments