College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

The Big 12's ultimate undoing.

0 HS
RunEddieRun1983's picture
December 7, 2014 at 3:55pm
1 Comment

Boy the Big 12 really, really screwed themselves.  In truth this post is more so that I can take this concept that's in my head, and type it out and fully comprehend it, but I full welcome any responses and thoughts to go with it.

After TCU lost to Baylor, but ultimately wound up being ranked higher than Baylor (because of the loss later in the year to WVU), the Big 12 hitched their, "we want a team in the playoff" wagon to TCU and said that even though Baylor beat TCU head to head, we will have co-champions if both teams finish with the same conference record.  So this is what inevitably happend.  TCU goes into the final week of the season at 3, while Baylor is 6, the Big 12 spouts their co-champion rhetoric, and ultimately seals it's own fate.

To they playoff committee, hearing the Big 12 say we have "co-champions" means that the Big 12 told them that TCU is as good as Baylor.  NOT Baylor is as good as TCU, and the reason I say that is because Baylor beat TCU.  So essentially the big 12 looked at the committee and said the #3 team is as good as the #6 team, and not the other way around.  That coupled with the fact that TCU played a 2 win team, slammed the door on their hopes to get to the playoff.

Baylor, by virtue of being behind Ohio State would never have reached the playoff, in any way, shape, or form, unless Ohio State lossed.

So there you have it, the Big 12, with their co-champion mouth poop, essentially sealed their own fate, and the fate of the teams in their conference that were vying for that fourth spot.

Damn it feels good to win a conference title game.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 1 Comments