College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

B1G Bowl Issue

0 HS
LealmanBuckeye's picture
December 5, 2014 at 9:40am
14 Comments

So apparently, there is a scenario in which, due to a new tie-in with the Orange Bowl, the B1G may not be able to send all of its bowl-eligible teams to bowl games. This would be a blow to a team (likely Illinois) who could benefit from the extra practices and give their seniors something to play for in their final game.

I'm not sure about a long-term solution (which I'm sure they're working on), but there's actually a convenient workaround for this year. UAB is bowl-eligible, but they may not be going to a bowl because their conference has less tie-ins than bowl-eligible teams this year. Factor in the well-publicized demise of thier football program, and there is a very real possibility that those kids have played their last game.

Assuming Illinois gets left out of the bowl picture, what would it hurt to place a call to UAB's athletic department and see about an exhibition game at UAB's home field - one last hurrah for UAB and a makeshift bowl game for Illinois? I assume you would have to get clearance from the NCAA for such a thing, but what would it hurt to try?

It likely won't happen, but I think it's a win-win.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 14 Comments