College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Jerry Kill B1G Coach of the Year?

0 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture
November 13, 2014 at 6:10pm
29 Comments

I listen to the Salisbury & Granoto Show on Yahoo Sports radio, on my ride home from work.  Tonight on the show they were discussing the Coaches from each Conference who should get the Coach of the Year Award.  They said "if you are thinking Big 10 and thinking anyone other than Kill you are wrong.".  The Show is usually pretty good.  Salisbury is a tad over the top sometimes, but he is pretty non biased, and they discuss college football from the standpoint that they are overall fans of the game.  The Kill thought got me thinking.

Urban Meyer is 21-1 in the B1G since becoming coach at OSU, and on a B1G record streak of 21 consecutive B1G Regular Season Wins.  Jerry Kill is 10-11 in the B1G in the same time frame (2012-current).  I know this isn't a lifetime achievement award, but Meyer is 5-0 vs Kill's 4-1 in the B1G this year.  I know Kill has a shot to out-coach Meyer on Saturday and earn the award.  3 games from the end of the year, and not trying to make a big deal about an award, but why is Meyer's achievements getting brushed aside?  Dantonio won the award last year for winning the B1G.  

College coaching seems to have multiple phases: recruiting, X's and O's, player development, public engagements, etc.  Meyer has proven that he runs full throttle and top notch in most/all phases.  Where does Kill do it better?  

Say what you will about the SEC, but they award the C.O.Y. award to coaches who have great success on the field.  They honor the winners, not give pats on the back to those who appear to try the hardest.  If you have an award for excellence, honor the excellence. Hey coach, if you really want the award, go get the award, we aren't going to give it to you because you look like you need a pat on the back.

End rant.....

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 29 Comments