College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports fan talk.

Playing by the "rules"

0 HS
northernchild's picture
September 14, 2014 at 1:40am
3 Comments

With the horrible start the B1G has had, I've been trying to understand why (outside of the obvious lack of recruiting). The most striking think that makes this more than just recruiting is the gameplay against Mac and other lesser opponents. I think (just my opinion/thought, not saying it's right or that you have to agree with it) is that the B1G has been literally and figuratively playing by "rules" that fewer teams are recognizing/caring about (I should also say there are some prominent teams like alabama and Oklahoma that I think also do this, but they can afford to). 

There are several examples that I'll try to incoherently address:

the use of the spread offense/quick screens to use a lack of talent up front to one's advantage.

recruiting players that are verbally committed to a school (tho this has changed since urban's arrival)

Tressel-balling 

trying to establish the run up the middle, when you obviously can't

playing soft coverages to "not let up the big plays"

Trying to play it safe, in geberal

being TOO focusedon recruiting in-state (not talking about us or teams that are in good football states)

being loyal to the seniority paradigm for playing tins

Conceding games/not taking risks 

All of this, for a long time had value bc it worked and other teams "played by the rules" too. Saban and dantonio are coaches, who I think want football to be a straight at the other team, no fluff kind of game, but again they have the talent to do it (though both have struggled against quick offenses). All I'm saying is that in addition to the stringent policies regarding recruiting (which I think are good and fair), there are several attitudes and schemes that B1G teams are holding on to as a relic of the past, assuming it will be successful again. The only issue is that this isn't your grand dad's football anymore, and the population shift has left B1G teams choosing from a smaller pool, which ultimately means they might need to change philosophies or recruit harder if they don't want to change. Just my thoughts, I'm sure there are plenty if people really upset by this, and I welcome your thoughts/ideas. I know someone will say it's all cyclical (I agree), but I still think the best option is always to act rather than wait. 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 3 Comments