College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

FSU Investigating WInston

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture
September 4, 2014 at 4:34pm
45 Comments

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/ncaaf/2014/09/04/jameis-winston-flo...

This could be interesting.  We all know it was TTUN's investigation that got their kicker Gibbons kicked (see what I did there???) out of school.

Can't say I expect the same from FSU, but one of the quotes caught me eye.

"We expect that there will be code of conduct charges that will be brought," he said. "There's no basis not to bring those charges now."  This was said by the accuser's Title IX attorney.

sox33osu's picture

Que interesante.

+1 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture

That whole situation is a crap shoot. This issue needs to be resolved, and then just go away (not upset at you for posting it, just so much crap about Winston being a dumba$$ and FSU being a stupid-a$$ institution in their handling)

You can feed a bobcat all the chili it wants. That don't mean it's going to crap out diamonds.

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+4 HS
toad1204's picture

I was working on it.  Stupid IE.  Thanx Sox. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I do agree on the stupid IE remark. No problemo.

faux_maestro's picture

Cue MMan in 3...2...1...

Inní mér syngur vitleysingur

+3 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

Who is paying for Winston's attorney? Pro bono /  alum?

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

+5 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Oh no, Jameis is in REAAAALLLY BIG TROUBLE NOW!

Class of 2010.

+3 HS
ceegeelawrence's picture

If I was able I would upvote this with all the upvotes that my upvote could upvote. But since I can't I'll give you the next best thing (let's not kid ourselves, its BFM.. it's better.)

+5 HS
Burnsy's picture

So there's a pack of coyotes on the back porch cause your dogs in heat and you know those yellow eyed bastards will come through the screen door if they're horny. 

+3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture
Nothing to see here? Jameis is having trouble seeing things as it is...
+8 HS
BUCKfutter's picture

miami was #7 at some point last year???

the kids are playing their tail off, and the coaches are screwing it up! - JLS

+4 HS
DannyBeane's picture

Dude squints more than Gilbert Gottfried, and this kids is why you don't stare at the sun.

johnblairgobucks's picture

But yet seems to have no problem seeing color differences in jerseys or wide open receivers 30 yards down field....... The 20 yards to the sideline, when standing in the middle is too much, when you hungreeeee.

buckeyedexter's picture

So even if he's telling the truth, he had sex with this girl while 2 friends watched and 1 recorded it?

+2 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Yeah, but if that's against the law I'd have been thrown in...Oh, wait, I guess I never would have gotten in trouble for that. Come to think of it, that would likely scar people's retinas. Yeah, that would never happen to me.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

THE's picture

Guilty. 

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

FROMTHE18's picture

Hope the Police Department has nothing to do with it

+2 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Please tell hot butter was not involved. 

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I found it really disturbing that FSU punished the 2 kids that admitted seeing what happened but guarded Winston and his silence. It  was almost like the punishment was for "talking".

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

I never saw that, but that's gold Jerry.

+3 HS
KB3RG's picture

what will they do, sit him a snap against Citadel this weekend? But wait didn't him sitting out in a baseball game count? 

+4 HS

If the State of Florida's DA, the Tallahassee PD and the University looked at this case, and nothing came of it, hard to believe anything new happens.  

Even though I feel Winston May have done what he is accused of, and Jimbo Fisher is a tool for putting his player on the field, until the legal process was resolved.

+1 HS
logamaniac's picture

Legal charges and university charges are two very different matters

+1 HS

I took a full year after the event for FSU to do their own investigation, and they suspended it after Winston refused to answer questions.  So what are they going to do another year later?

BTW, if he didn't answer questioning from the University or the Tallahassee PD, who is he telling, that the event was consensual, and how is that good enough for charges to have not been brought up.

i hate to rehash this case, because it is so frustrating that Winston was accused and not properly investigated.  99.9% of people accused of rape aren't treated like he was.  

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

As if rape wasn't enough grounds in the first place. Talk about slow paced reaction.  Oh thats right, had to get the hardware first.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
blocko330's picture

This kid just can't stop stealing the spotlight...

“Things may come to those who wait, but only the things left by those who hustle.”

- TruthTeller

+3 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

Will you be here all week and should we tip our waitresses?

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

She's got a family man, of course you tip the waitress.

+1 HS
Buck Commander's picture

Charges now so he will be back for the Clemson game ......Thank God for Citadel !

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Brutus1972's picture

I can't see Title IX being able to do anything to him at this point. If there was any evidence, Fla ST and the Tallahassee PD have disposed of it by now in order to cover their tracks. It's only a matter of time before this idiot does something that Fla St and the Tallahassee PD can't cover up.

LeftCoastBuck's picture

I am far from a fan of the NYTimes, but they really did a nice job with this Winston article.

http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2014/04/16/sports/errors-in-inquiry-o...

"To crush the Wolverines, to see them driven from their stadium, and to hear the lamentation of their fans" Conan the Barbarian (paraphrased) on "what is best in life."

+1 HS
M Man's picture

The New York Times is now specializing in reporting on unprosecuted purported sexual assaults involving college athletes.  In addition to their reporting on Winston at Florida State, the Times' Walt Bogdanich has made a crusade out of an allegation at Hobart and William Smith Colleges in upstate New York.

First here.

And then here.

Meanwhile, among the many links I've posted on the dubious turnaround of Title IX "prosecutions" is the Wall Street Journal's James Taranto, here and here.

Naturally, the usual lineup of interest groups demanded that the Journal fire Taranto, while Bogdanich awaits his Pulitzer.  It is politics as usual.

Who knows what really happened in these cases?  I won't claim to be able to say.  What I will say, again, and with absolute commitment is that these cases, these stories, and the future of campus life have all taken a distinctly political turn.  And I am really hard pressed, after looking at a lot of these cases pretty closely myself, to think of one that was more blatantly and inexcusably political, than the case of Jon Waters at The Ohio State University.

-2 HS

I saw a TV special on the Hobart College incident, and that case needs to have attention brought to it.  Makes me sick to my stomach that young men spend time doing things to fellow humans, on that scale.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Who produced the program?  I saw something on NBC (I think), which was just a dramatized rehash of the New York Times

I was impressed by the open, detailed response by the Geneva PD Chief of Police and the lead detective in the case.  Here, among other places...

-2 HS

Well I guess we are both trending to sides of a story that neither of us really know truth about.   That's what makes these cases so troubling, IMO.  I like to root for the under dog, in most instances.... To see the meek rise and stand tall.  For people who feel they were assaulted not to be able to have their story told, is a far greater injustice than have a wrongly accused person have to go through an investigation to find out the truth.   

Just going by my gut feeling here.  So much easier to have an opinion on the matter, when my ass isn't really on the line.

+1 HS
LeftCoastBuck's picture

I can't believe that I am agreeing with you but you are right; these cases have become political. Rarely, but on occasion, the political aspects have been useful and have forced the truth out into the open. In the Winston case, the criminal investigation was a non-event at best and in my opinion, was purposely delayed, bungled and misdirected to Winston's advantage. I hope that his case is one where the means (political) do justify the ends.

As far as Waters goes, I have a hard time believing that he is as bad an actor as the University purports that he is given the incredible support he has among the Band Alumni. The things that they have said have rung true with me and I believe that he was denied due process. I cannot for the life of me fathom why Drake would want to tackle this right away given the backlog of truly pressing matters, but I am afraid that he has so much "face" tied up in this action that he can't be rational.

God I wish we had Gordon back....BTW, some upvotes from me to cancel out a few DV's....good post

"To crush the Wolverines, to see them driven from their stadium, and to hear the lamentation of their fans" Conan the Barbarian (paraphrased) on "what is best in life."

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

hopefully JUSTICE will be served.

Buckeye fan from PA

-2 HS
Buckeye Knight's picture

I just hope the truf comes out skrong in da end.

+2 HS