College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

USC Senior Anthony Brown Quits Team, Alleges Sarkisian is a Racist

BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture
August 28, 2014 at 6:57pm
31 Comments

It's hard for me to empathize with USC because of the 2008 and 2009 games we played against them, but they are having an awful week!  Anthony Brown, a senior, was asked to switch positions, but it seems as though the young man didn't want to do so.

Brown quit the team on Thursday afternoon and then took to social media, where he posted both on Facebook and Instagram the phrase, “Couldn’t play for a racist man!!!!”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/early-lead/wp/2014/08/28/usc-football-continues-to-have-the-worst-week-ever-as-senior-anthony-brown-quits-team-and-calls-coach-steve-sarkisian-a-racist/

BoFuquel's picture

Good for you young man. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

-3 HS
Habu71's picture

Coach Sark is having a heck of a week. Probably beginning to miss Washington just a little. 

+4 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Good point Habu I liked Sark even though he has been an average coach the last few years here in the NW. Fans of UW think it's addition by subtraction. He did lie on local radio and the fans haven't forgotten about it. Chris P. is a much better over all coach IMO.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I wasn't aware of his comments locally, have only heard good things about him on this side of the country. Chris P has been so successful, hope he continues that with the Huskies. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Chris has a track record of being an excellent recruiter - he had the ability to out-recruit some of the most popular coaches in the Pac 12 when he was at Boise. 

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

I'd just like to see Washington continue to have a competitive team. I believe he was a good choice to make that happen. 

+1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

If he recruits "African-Americans" how can he be considered a racist. I guarantee over 2/3 of his team is African-American. I feel like recently, if a white person just has a small dispute with a black person, he is called a racist.

+6 HS
Habu71's picture

Terrible excuse for being a quitter no doubt. Yet recruiting the players that can potentially make you rich doesn't determine one way or another if you respect, value and/or care about them as people. Coach Sark has shown much love to all his players, it's a shame that such a label would be thrown around so carelessly and attached to him. 

+3 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

If he recruits "African-Americans" how can he be considered a racist.

That's like saying that slave owners weren't racist because they used black people to do their work for them. Absolutely ridiculous premise.

I feel like recently, if a white person just has a small dispute with a black person, he is called a racist.

We don't know anything about this argument. Let's not jump to conclusions here and assume that Sark is being called racist for a trivial or nonexistent reason.

I doubt we'll ever hear the full story. The story will go away in a few days, and in a few weeks, nobody will care enough to remember this even making the news.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
WesPatterson23's picture

Well being racist is like thinking white men are superior to black men. So, I was saying that obviously he didn't have that belief or he would recruit mostly white guys.

-2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

White supremacy is thinking that white people are genetically superior to black people. Racism is a bit different.

Someone who employs minorities can still discriminate and hold racist views towards those minorities. A college coach's job is to win, and they'll recruit almost anyone who will help them achieve that goal. Doesn't mean they can't also be racist at the same time. Just like how Donald Sterling can be ostensibly racist while owning an NBA franchise.

In the case of Sarkesian, well, we don't know the full story, nor will we ever. I'll refuse to pass judgment on either Brown or Sark until the full facts come out. Not that anyone will give a damn about this in two weeks, anyways.

In the meantime, racism is an incredibly complex issue that takes many different forms, but I'll defer to the 11W commenting policy. If you want to look up a more accurate definition than yours, that's your prerogative. 

All I'm saying is that it's possible that Brown's complaints are valid. It's also possible that they're not. I don't care to speculate on the likelihood of either scenario, and in the grand scheme of things, it's a lot easier for me to just not worry about a 4th string cornerback at a school that I don't cheer for.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-1 HS
Onionballz's picture

^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

Sorry I have no upvotes to give.

Yeah Baby! - KK

-1 HS
Becool12's picture

Well, Donald Sterling, a well known racists, said he wanted a team full of black players (southern black boys as he called them). He also employed a black head coach and a black general manager. I'm not saying Sark is a racist because he may or may not be, none of my business, but its a business decision and very unlikely to have a remotely successful team without a single black player. And if the team isn't successful then he will be unemployed.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Sounds like a punk ass excuse from someone not living up to their end of  the deal.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+6 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I honestly dgaf, especially USC and all.

Just asking that we think before we post please.

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS

I apologize; I found the story interesting, particularly in the light of what has happened at USC recently.  (And in the light of my dislike for them.)  I thought posting the story in College Sports would be acceptable; I'm sorry that it wasn't.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Don't worry it was a very relevant story I'm guessing Hove was trying to warn people before they comment on a subject that could go south quickly with the wrong words being uttered.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

No worries BPL. It is newsworthy, like Groveport states.

Just wanted to ensure it didn't get ugly, sometimes these threads go downhill in a hurry. I was looking out for the comments that could have followed.

Appreciate the share...USC sure sounds like they're still a hot mess. I'm still bitter about the last couple of tussles with them, didn't mean to come off like I didn't think much of your post. My apologies for coming across with the mixed signal.

+1 HS

Oh, no hard feelings or anything.  And I certainly don't want anything to "go downhill;" I know the subject matter can be a problem for some folks.  I like to think that 11W folks are mature enough to discuss such issues in an intelligent and frank manner without...you know...being unpleasant.

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Indeed. Thanks again, BPL...and sorry again.

I keep looking at my first comment, probably should've taken my own advice :).

+1 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

its hard to comment without knowing if something specific happened, but just hearing him say 'oh hes a racist' without something to back it up is odd. Id like to hear more about why he thinks sark is a racist to understand what the hell is going on out there

GO BUCKS

TheBadOwl's picture

We don't know the full story. Let's not pass judgment on Brown or Sark until we do. And reminder as always, 11W is not a place for your #HotTakes about racism.

+2 HS
DCBuckeye33's picture

I wasn't giving a hot take, I said the same as you, id like to hear more before saying anything about either side

GO BUCKS

TheBadOwl's picture

Didn't mean to post that as a reply, it was meant to be a new comment. Apologies.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Not knowing any details of this particular incident, wouldn't there be more kids leaving the program if he is racist?

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Point taken Whiskey - I was not a big believer in Sark when he was at UW but this one has the writings of a bad decision by the player written all over it

bigbadbuck's picture

Welcome to USC coach!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+1 HS
cinserious's picture

So now Sarkisian is suddenly Adolph Rupp? New coach comes in and changes things around and people aren't ready for it. Doesn't make him a racist. What if Jamaal Berry or any other dismissed knucklehead called Urban a racist for his 'no-nonsense' policies upon arrival at OSU? That certainly wouldn't make him Urban a racist now would it? 

Its like Justin Boren calling the defensive coaching staff racists for switching him from fullback to linebacker. 

Life's daily struggle is choosing between saying F--ck-it, or soldiering on with your responsibilities.  

+1 HS
airbuckeye's picture

It's a damn shame there are people out there that throw the racist BS line's out with out any regards to whom might get hurt from it. I know how Sark must being feeling right about now having is charterd attacked in such a cold heartless maner.

And it was done so by someone with no remorse about anyone's feeling only to make them self's look like the victim instead of the quiter they are. It's alway's like i have said for year's and i live by this rule and it has always served me well.

I belive nothing that i hear and only half of what see because it's nothing but smoke and mirror's because people are only going to tell you what they want you to hear or let you see only what they want you to see. You have to be able to read people to understand the person you are dealing with.

But Sark need's to keep going forward and not worry about what is said about him or worry about what anyone else might think and live life has though this might be the last day. You do that and when the day is done you lived a full and happy life no matter what someone else say or does.

I know what it's like having someone attack your charter or call you a racist be there done that because thats the only way some people can get back at you when their pissed off is to try and bring you down and play the victim. I don't worry about and i go on because i know who i am and what i stand for as a man and a human being

In that i find  peace in love within my self and i know that has to sound a little corny but it's just how i feel and i find pleasure in life helping others even those i don't know. So if that is being a racist i can live with that and i would hope coach Sark can do the same.

CC's picture

It's a damn shame there are people out there that throw the racist BS line's out with out any regards to whom might get hurt from it. I know how Sark must being feeling right about now having is charterd attacked in such a cold heartless maner.

I have no idea what happened but all of this racism talk definitely gives the term lest sting then it had in say the 1990s.  I'm happy for that because it's used way too often as a crutch or an excuse.

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

If he is a racist surly other players or coaches have witnessed something over the years.  If not a single other person can corroborate it then Anthony Brown is probably just mad and trying to stick it to his coach for not letting him play the position he wanted.

+1 HS