College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Big 10 week #1 predictions

johnblairgobucks's picture
August 23, 2014 at 11:02pm
21 Comments

Thursday:

Eastern Illinois @ Minnesota-  Gophers roll 44-12

Rutgers @ Washington State-  Cougars 30-17, on home field.

Friday:

Jacksonville State @ Michigan State-  Michigan State 51-10, they get better competition in practice

Saturday:

Penn State vs UCF- IMO, the 3rd best  matchup for the Big 10 week 1.  Lions edge out Knights 24-23.  PSU has more experience at QB spot

Ohio State vs Navy- Buckeyes 49- 20.  Totally have no idea what  to expect from Buckeyes new OL, QB, or defense.

Appalachian State @ Michigan- UM 56-7, Wolverine fans will enjoy their first of 4 weeks they spend not hiding under a rock

Indiana State @ Indiana- Hoosiers 42-24, and nobody wants to sit next to Tom Crean  in his luxury box.

Northern Iowa @ Iowa- Kirk Ferentz will make more for this game, than Northern Iowa, and Hawkeyes will win 35-24, because the Hawkeyes normally struggle early in the season

Western Michigan @ Purdue-  I know nothing of W. Mich, I know Purdue will struggle this year, so I am picking the MAC over Big 10 upset.  24-17

Youngstown State @ Illinois- Illini 33-13

James Madison @ Maryland- Man, there a a ton of shitty match ups week 1, here's another one.  Terps win 57-12

California @ Northwestern-  Wilcats may struggle replacing Mark and Colter and regaining momentum. cal has been bad, but They are PAC 12.  In the few times I saw him play I thought Northwestern QB Siemien was pretty good.  Wilcats win at home 29-28

Florida Atlantic @ Nebraska- Nebraska runs for 400 yards and wins 48-13

Wisconsin vs LSU-  Great matchup.  9:00 pm start is a great cap for the day.  Either Wisky wins by 3 or loses by 21..... Hell IDK, Badgers win 28-25.

703Buckeye's picture

My winner for UCF/PSU...

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+11 HS
NashBuckeye's picture

Great pic 703! also love the topic. Let's talk real Football. My picks:

Minn 34 E. Ill 17

Rutgers 20 Wash St. 33

Sparty over Jax St 49-7

Penn St. 27 UCF 21

OSU 38 Navy 17

App St 20 scUM 35

Ind St 30 Indiana 47

N. Iowa 19 Iowa 28

W. Mich 20 Purdue 21

Illinois 40 YSU 17

Cal 28 NW 27

Fla. Atl. 17. Neb 44

Wisky 20. LSU 28......This hurts. I really want Wisky to win since I live in $EC country

+2 HS
JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

Man, my first week of school is going to drag. Cant wait till Saturday!

Buckeye fan from PA

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

Appalachian State @ Michigan- UM 56-7, Wolverine fans will enjoy their first of 4 weeks they spend not hiding under a rock

UofM should win.  Should.  But I think it'll be by a much smaller margin than this.  There is still no offensive line up there and the RB situation remains unclear between two relatively under performing backs in Green and Smith. 

UofM requires a goaline stand a la, Akron University to beat the Mountaineers and seek revenge for being the first ranked team EVER to get their asses handed to them by an FCS school.

28-24 Walverines

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska all win comfortably but not in a blowout.

Blowout wins by Sparty, Michigan and Illinois

Rutgers beats Wazzu by a touchdown.

OSU over Navy by 17

Penn State loses to UCF by a touchdown.

Indiana and Purdue get upset.

Northwestern loses by 17 against Cal.

Wiscy beats LSU by 4.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Gophers- not sure but how many just because I don't know much about them but Ill give them the benefit of the doubt with a W

Rutgers beats Wazzu- 24-21

Don't care to pick D1-AA games

OSU plays fast, kinks get worked out early and the game plan is simple enough for JT to be very effective. Close early, OSU pulls away late: 42-17

Ideally UCF beats PSU, but Bortles isn't coming back anytime soon. PSU 31-10

Cal over NW 

my unlikeliest pick: Wisconsin 38, LSU 17.

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

my unlikeliest pick: Wisconsin 38, LSU 17.

I recall Wisconsin being in another 38-17 game . . .

The Clean North's picture

UCF will beat PSU. They won a BCS bowl last year and return almost all starters. 

buckeyeinthechi's picture

Yep, except QB Bortles.

So they have a new QB who has yet to play an away game, and they're playing in Ireland.

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

+1 HS
chicagobuckeye's picture

It would be easier to play in Ireland as the crowd won't be as hostile as happy valley

buckeyeinthechi's picture

Ireland is drunk 90% of the time, it may be just as bad lol

There are three different types of people in the world.....those who can count, and those who cannot.

BTBuckeye's picture

Lsu / Wisconsin and Oregon /MSU.....gotta get 1 of those for the conference

JakeStevensIsSwag's picture

definitely capable of taking them both. 

Buckeye fan from PA

VintonCountyBuck's picture

Don't be surprised if Illinois gets beat by Youngstown State.

Also..If we give up 20 points to Navy, I think it's going to be another looooong season for our Defense. :/

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
Crumb's picture

Navy is always solid man, I can't remember the last year they didn't play in a bowl and because their future sailors and marines they don't make mistakes and beat themselves with tons of turnovers or penalties, they don't get worn down because lets face it they probably do harder training during their BYE week than the rest of the non-service academies do all year. Anyway to wrap this up don't worry about our defense after just one game if they don't get on track right away.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

Your right.. Navy is usually solid.  But they are not know for passing all that well.  Our D-line is being hyped up to be one of, if not THE best in the country.  If that is to be proven true, then they will eat up those Navy blockers allowing our linebackers to camp out in their backfield.  Our national title hopes are going to rest squarely on that D this year.

In my opinion 20 points is too much.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I just want the B1G to win their non-conference games.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

ek68's picture

Wisconsin over LSU by 3 & MSU loses by 10. Buckeyes 37 to 10 over Navy.

TheBadOwl's picture

MSU loses by 10

chiefkeefnah.jpg

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

buckguyfan1's picture

I think the Wolverines might pull off the upset. 

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Eastern Illinois @ Minnesota-  33-30 Gophers

Rutgers @ Washington State- 21-20 Rutgers

Jacksonville State @ Michigan State- 38-0 Spartans 

Penn State vs UCF- 28-17 Penn State

Ohio State vs Navy- 52- 16 Bucks

Appalachian State @ Michigan- 31-21 Michigan. This is probably the most anticipated D1 vs. D1AA game of all time. Mich should win and will probably blow them out, but I think it will be closer than most think because I think.

Indiana State @ Indiana- 45-17 Hoosiers 

Northern Iowa @ Iowa- 24-7 Iowa

Western Michigan @ Purdue- 27-24 Broncos

Youngstown State @ Illinois- 31-13 Illini 

James Madison @ Maryland- 41-24 Terps 

California @ Northwestern-  45-31 Cal

Florida Atlantic @ Nebraska- 35-3 Cornhuskers

Wisconsin vs LSU-  17-6 Wisconsin

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS