College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

MSU V Oregon

robobuck's picture
August 16, 2014 at 10:08am
55 Comments

September 6. A showdown of two great teams from two great conferences. Who do you want to in? Here are my thoughts, add your below. As great a boost it would be for our league if sparty gets a W against the ducks, I'm actually a little scared about the monumental confidence boost that would occur in EL. They could have some major momentum if they beat one of the preseason playoff favorites and come into the game undefeated, considering Theyre the reigning B1G and rose bowl champs. Ugh. Sparty no!! But the alternative is that they lose and its another black eye on the conference in search of street cred. At the end of the day, I want them to win and win big so our victory a month later will be even bigger than theirs in Eugene.

Haubtimus Prime's picture

Have to root for Sparty here.  The B1G needs a showcase win on the national stage, and the earlier the better.  An undefeated MSU team likely has them as a Top 5 team when OSU makes the journey to East Lansing.  OSU needs a win of that magnitude. 

Just my $0.02.  

+12 HS
THE's picture

Yes. No doubt it has to be Sparty. 

We play Sparty head to head and need them to be well positioned in the polls. It also helps with the B1G media perception if Sparty drubs out Oregon. It would be doubly helpful is Sparty beats Oregon, Orefon then goes on to win the PAC12 and then we beat Sparty and win the B1G. Hellllooooooo playoffs!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

We need the conference to start winning non-conference games especially ones on national TV!!

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

UrbzRenewal's picture

Rooting for Sparty, thinking that they might end up getting blown out. On the road, against Mariota, extreme offensive speed against a defense that just cannot be on the same level as they were last year as far as secondary and yards per play allowed goes. They'll see a 7 point gap explode into a 21 point gap and I think the rout will be on. If it were in East Lansing I think it would be closer.

+4 HS
allinosu's picture

Sparty tends to get stronger as the year progresses, so you are probably right. The BIG is fighting an image problem so we need wins against teams like Oregon and LSU.

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

My concern too.  True spread offenses can torch ultra aggressive defenses, especially those with inexperienced players early on.  Pulling for MSU, just not feeling it.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

southbay's picture

They just need to play Stanford football.

Not meant to be funny...that physical, well-disciplined style has been shown to be effective against Oregon by the Cardinal.  And that's what Sparty does well also, as evidenced by their Rose Bowl win--against Stanford.

+3 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Tired of being spoonfed nearly every year how great Oregon should be.

Sparty yes.

+10 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

MSU hands down-not because I want to improve the B1G image, but I want Sparty to be ranked as high as possible going into the showdown with us.  A side effect would be improved conference image.  tOSU can improve the conference image by itself by destroying everyone they play, and running through either 2 SEC teams in the playoffs, or FSU and an SEC team.  FSU single handedly improved the ACC image last year by itself.

+1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Sparty needs to win and Wisconsin must beat lsu because I believe the badgers will win the west

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+1 HS
TURD_BUCKET's picture

I just can't root for a team from that state to win. So I will root for Oregon to lose.

I always want teams from the B1G to go undefeated in non-conference games. I always have because it is better for the conference. And a big win for a future Buckeye opponent makes it look even better when the good guys from Columbus beat them later on.

The spartans have the "OHIO" element = their coach and QB, among others. That should be enough.

Be on the lookout for Conner Cook's sister. What a babe!

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.” John Wooden

+6 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

Be on the lookout for Conner Cook's sister. 

What color is her hair?

+1 HS
FitzBuck's picture

She had hair?  I didn't notice.  

Fitzbuck | Toledo - Ohio's right armpit | "A troll by any other name is still a troll".

+1 HS
jonping67's picture

We most certainly want Sparty to beat the Duck's. We need all B1G teams to win their OOC games. If MSU beats the Ducks, Whisky beats LSU and the suck up north beats ND it would really bode well for the B1G's national reputation. If the B1G loses 2 or 3 of those games OSU most certainly have to run the table to get into the playoffs.

+1 HS
Mortc15's picture

Oregon has trouble with smashmouth physical teams. If the defense can come together quickly, MSU offense will be solid this year I think and MSU could pull it off, although it is a tall order. 

Imagine though that MSU wins, ranked top 5 when osu comes knocking, and WISC somehow beats lsu and the bucks have another top 5-10 team in the BCG? Wishful thinking, but not entirely impossible. 

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
Bucksfan's picture

I was at the Rose Bowl against Oregon, and I was at the B1G championship last year.  No question, Oregon fans were some of the worst I've ever met while Sparty's were some of the nicest.  I'm MSU all the way in this game.  Plus, I don't think Oregon has a prayer in hell of winning.  If there are 2 things Oregon is known for over the last 10 years, it is being incredibly fast and high tempo on offense, and being completely hapless against defenses with elite front 7s.  Sparty is bringing a top-10, maybe top-5 defense into Eugene.  The Ducks will be lucky to score 20 points.

+3 HS
kyletp2's picture

Whats the spread? I'll root for whoever the money is on

You are lame if you tweet!

-2 HS
BuckeyeLurker0509's picture

Lol, Oregon is going to LIGHT them up.

I'll go with...Oregon 45 MSU 23 

jonping67's picture

MSU - 30
Oregon - 27 (overtime)

blazers34's picture

If they win that will give Sparty consecutive wins vs OSU, Stanford, and Oregon. Would be very impressive

+3 HS
CC's picture

They have a game before oregon

Ahh Saturday's picture

As long as Narduzzi is there, MSU will have a tough D.  Nevertheless, that D will take some time to gel and if they haven't by the time they reach Eugene, they'll be in trouble against an offense that returns nine starters including one of the preseason Heisman favorites at QB.  Rooting for Sparty, but this game happens too soon for them.  They'll get down early, Connor Cook throws a couple of interceptions, and Sparty goes down hard, 41-13.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Regardless of game, I want to see a Mascot Fight

+2 HS
psibuck's picture

I'd like to see Sparty pull off the win. I think we want them to undefeated and possibly ranked higher than us when we play them.  Our head coach seems to be pretty good at motivating players while filling the underdog role. 

GoBucksOSU's picture

I want to see MSU win but they for some reason don't know how to win early season big games so I'm not going to put too much confidence in them.

NW Buckeye's picture

Pulling for Sparty to win. 

teddyballgame's picture

I'm pretty sure Sparty will lose, but hopefully it's nothing too bad.

-1 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture

I hate that the media (Yes, i'm looking at you ESPiN) has turned college football into a conference pride-driven circle jerk, but it is what it is... Because college football is still so perception based though, I feel like we have no choice but to root for Mich St. 

In my opinion, if the B1G doesn't go at least 4-2 in the following match ups, any team from the B1G is already going to be facing an up hill battle to get into the 4-team playoff. Especially if you consider that last year, even though Ohio State had won 24 games in a row, there were media "experts" claiming that tOSU didn't deserve their shot at the National Championship.

In order of what I'd consider the biggest opportunities to increase conference perception:

1). Mich St. vs. Oregon  2). Wisconsin vs. LSU ("Neutral" site in Texas :| )  3). Virginia Tech vs. OSU  4). Michigan vs. Notre Dame  5). Miami vs. Nebraska  6). Penn State vs. UCF

+2 HS
KBonay's picture

Not to be the 1/2 empty guy, but if the B1G goes 3-3 in those games I would be surprised.

QueenCityBuckeye's picture

I don't necessarily disagree with you, which is why I think tOSU will have a lot of nae sayers even if they did dominate their schedule. 

But who am I kidding? We're tOSU and we will ALWAYS have nae sayers. Hataz gonna hate, nam sayin? 

-1 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

I think MSU has a decent chance, but it could definitely get away from them. I think LSU's gonna stomp Wisconsin. We'll beat VT, UM will beat ND, Miami will probably beat Nebraska, and I can't see PSU losing to UCF. I could see 4-2, but we might be 3-3.

bafiesta's picture

Great summary of the top 6 games, but if the Big10 loses #1 & 2 on that list, the best it could do is hold serve.  Only a win in one of those 2 games will really increase the perception of B10 strength. 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Interesting proposition here. On one hand, you want Sparty to win for conference perception & the possible win by OSU against them to be more valuable. On the other hand, a win against Oregon will mean MSU is a genuine threat & a really solid team that will challenge OSU fully. 

I'm all for beating the best to be the best so Go Sparty!

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

The consensus from non Big Ten/MSU fans is that Oregon is going to steamroll them by 3+ scores

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

I got Oregon by 10. It'll be MSU's toughest road game in the last two seasons.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I like that when he was asked about both schools, all he mentioned for TTUN was a BBQ. But for OSU, he thought the way the coaches teach was amazing. He also thought highly of the practice fields, and the facilities.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

whiskeyjuice's picture

I like that when he was asked about both schools, all he mentioned for TTUN was a BBQ. But for OSU, he thought the way the coaches teach was amazing. He also thought highly of the practice fields, and the facilities.

chicagobuckeye's picture

Double post in the wrong forum?

+2 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

I'm not overly confident in the Spartans chances at Oregon.  Eugene can be a pretty tough place to play.  But, as they say, When you go on the road road, you better pack your Defense.  Sparty will bring one of the better D's in the country, so I am going with them in this one.  Consecutive wins over the two best teams in the Pac12, I think helps the B1G's national perception as well.  So..that's who I'm going with.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
brbrbuckeye's picture

I think their D will be solid, but do you think the second game of the season it will be solidified? They only have five returning starters on D.

GO BUCKS!!! URBAN RENEWAL!

+2 HS

While they may only return five starters..The returning players that are expected to contribute have multiple years in the same system, under Narduzzi, unlike our secondary, which may struggle early on.  

No, I don't think it will be completely solidified until later in the year but I do believe they will field one of the best Defenses in the nation.  

+1 to you my good, Sir.. Not sure why the down vote was warranted when you just asked a simple question.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+1 HS
northcampus's picture

Luckily for MSU, they're playing in Eugene and not Corvallis :)

For all the backlash the B1G gets for 'never beating anyone outside the conference,' who has Oregon really beat outside the PAC 12 with the exception of a Wisconsin team that played not to lose in Pasadena (I also don't consider wins over bad Michigan and Tennessee teams as signature wins)?

What I like about this game for MSU is that Narduzzi has had an entire offseason to prepare for this game.

+2 HS

Haha.. Good catch, Northcampus.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

They blew out a good KSU team in the Fiesta Bowl.

What I like about this game for MSU is that Narduzzi has had an entire offseason to prepare for this game.

That works both ways.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

klfeck's picture

I predict that Sparty will defeat Oregon the same way OSU did, with solid Defense. The game between OSU and Sparty will then have even more national implications.

Kevin

OH!!!!!

Proud parent of a Senior at The Ohio State University

+1 HS
brbrbuckeye's picture

I think a physical team like Sparty could spell a nightmare for Oregon. My biggest question is, however, how well do they handle losing so much on defense. It's clear that D'antonio has a system in place. If that system has taken root with the players behind last years starters, MSU will be tough like last year.

GO BUCKS!!! URBAN RENEWAL!

+1 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

I almost always root for Big Ten teams in non-conference games and will heartily root for Sparty in this game.

If Sparty loses, though, I will laugh in Dantonio's bitterman face as a consolation prize. The last time he coached at Ohio State was over 10 years ago and, as far as I'm concerned, he's burned up all his previously-banked Buckeye "capital." 

+2 HS
bleedscarlet's picture

Ball control offense and disciplined defense is Oregon's kryptonite. With fall camp to prepare for that hurry up offense, Narduzzi and Dantonio will get it done.

I'm too drunk to taste this chicken

+1 HS
Crazybuck's picture

It really doesn't matter. The Buckeyes need to win all their games period, Including the national title . Other than that nothing else matters. GO BUCKS

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

I would like to see Sparty win.  I don't think they will, though, as I don't think their defense will be quite as good as last year's.  At the very least, be competitive if a win isn't in the cards.  I think they can do that - I don't see them getting blown out in Eugene. 

Make no mistake, Sparty could still be a good team and be a good win on OSU's resume even if they lose to Oregon.  They won't be a top 5 team or anything, but if Oregon is their only loss going into 11/8, they could still be a top 10 team in the polls...worst case top 15.  Honestly, I see MSU as a 9-3, maybe 10-2 team.  Loss to Oregon, OSU, maybe they get tripped up in one other game. 

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
klm42005's picture

I have confidence in MSU.  Oregon is always ranked so high....and fall flat when hit with a good solid D.   Take a page out of JT's defense, they can be beaten by a solid Defense.  It may be early in the season for MSU but it will be for Oregon also....should be even footing.

Plus it will be so sweet to hand MSU their first loss in their house.....Go Bucks

Furious George 27's picture

Not reading any of the comments, it's hoping Sparty wins so we beat them and it's a bigger win for OSU nov 8. 

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

Rooting for Sparty.  Can't stand Oregon, and it looks good for the conference.  (I don't actually think it was a clown question, I just really wanted to use the picture)

Go Bucks!

Seattle Linga's picture

My assumption is that Oregon will pull away in the second - too much offensive to handle

+1 HS