College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Notre Dame May Have Issues

LouGroza's picture
August 15, 2014 at 12:28pm
125 Comments
YTOWNBUCKI's picture

If we reflect on the recent "punishments" handed down by the NCAA, odds are that nothing happens to Notre Dame.  

+13 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Whether or not the NCAA does anything, the board won't tolerate that crap. At the very least the school will take steps to clean it up. And fire Brian Kelly.

-1 HS
LouGroza's picture

UNC sure learned their lesson didn't they?

+5 HS
LouGroza's picture

Oops!

+1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Yeah UNC is a bit different, for instance when Notre Dame held their press conference they had a reverend as the main speaker. Not quite like most schools hiring a bunch of lawyers and saying prove it. 

HeuermanTheFireman's picture

He's the President, is he not?

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

Knarcisi's picture

Sufferin Succotash 

DefendYoungstown's picture

phonetically perfect!!!!! +1+1+1+1+1

What we can't do in the air we'll do on the ground.

BTBuckeye's picture

This will never be vacated.

+34 HS
southbay's picture

Bama Mike, is that you?

+2 HS
LouGroza's picture

It has been one thing after another since Kelly arrived at ND. If this pans out, he could be knee deep in a stinky brown pile of goo.

703Buckeye's picture

Issues at ND? Of course they have issues, look at their coach...

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+11 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

Is that Cartman yelling about his pot pie?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

Citrus's picture

I was assured by a masters student at ND (BA at Standford), Lennay Kukua, that there is nothing fake going on at Notre Dame.

Side note: she's so hot. We're getting pretty serious.

+44 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I thought I was the only one who called it Standford

Citrus's picture

That's how it was spelled on the degree she showed me. I wondered why it is misspelled so many other places.

+8 HS
THE's picture

Citrus,

This is probably my favorite comment I have seen in some time. My only regret is that I have but one up vote to give. 

Drivin > Disco > Drivin.
To the people in the bathroom, how's it going in there?

+4 HS
Citrus's picture

Thanks for the support. I've been so happy over the last few months. We spend hours on the phone. She is so cool, like one of the guys. She wants to get married but on a game day so it isn't happening until I get that worked out. When we announce I'll invite all of the 11 dubbers.

PS
"The" is a badass name.

+7 HS
SilverBullet-98's picture

Please be true. 

They need knocked down a peg or two with that smooze the spray on recruits about their great fake degrees........

"The Past Builds the Future"

+3 HS
WOLFofOHIO's picture

...just gonna leave these here for the LOLZ...

there is no greater joy than watching Michigan get slammed. in anything

+27 HS
KeithMC33's picture

So if this rumor turns out to be true, do you really think the NCAA would even do anything? After that UNC academic fraud scandal produced nothing, i can't say that i would even be the least bit concerned if i were a ND fan. Worst case they get a few 2012 wins vacated and maybe they lose a few scholly's next year? if Brian Kelly did get fired it may actually be a blessing in disguise for the Domers. 

Habu71's picture

I don't wish these type issues on any program. I remember how bad I felt as a fan when wrong doing was suggested to have taken place at TOSU. As much as I dislike their program, I just want them to take as many losses on the field, court, pitch, etc. as possible. 

+2 HS
gumtape's picture

just because

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+4 HS
Bucki78's picture

Maybe she's just letting everyone know she's an "OG"

"But I don't have to rely on a lot of people to tell me about the traditions of Ohio State. I lived it, I breathed it, I know it and I love it." - Urban Meyer

+1 HS
What Would Troy Smith Do's picture

the message boards say people are mentioning names but I can't find them anywhere.   Sure has them worked up, so something must be going on.  

And yeah, after the NCAA literally doing nothing about the Bama player that Yahoo proved took money and their inaction with Miami, I can't see squat happening but who knows.  Hell, UNC hasn't even been slammed for their academic fraud.

We were clearly the last school to take a big hit before their power crumbled.

+1 HS
gobucks96's picture

That explains how they suddenly were able to recruit the top atheletes!

+2 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+6 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Reddit /r/cfb thread

seemingly a female tutor was writing papers for them in exchange for penising

That's the top comment on the thread from a Notre Dame fan.

Also, /r/cfb commenters are saying that three starters and a backup are being expelled. Worth noting that Golson wasn't even expelled for academic fraud, so something is clearly going on here.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+7 HS
Earle's picture

That tutor must drive a hard bargain.

Italics are for emphasis.

+10 HS
Citrus's picture

Yeah I almost feel bad for these guys that offer would be hard to refuse.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

They better hope it aint true. Those guys all appear to be upperclassmen.

M Man's picture

If ND vacates a 12-win season, we go back on top of the all-time NCAA win percentage.  We've been on top of the total wins list for a long time.

-10 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

Hoke may need to use this tactic to vacate all of the losses....

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

M Man - you know I respect you but should we all assume that one of those victories was against AA High School right?

Here is the details on the game - 

1891: Michigan Wolverines 62 Pioneer 0[edit]

To open up the 1891 college football season, the Michigan Wolverines of the University of Michigan played Pioneer (then Ann Arbor High School) at Regents Field on October 10, 1891. Michigan won the game handily as expected by the final score of 62–0. This was the first and only meeting between the two schools

You should be so proud........

+4 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Did the Bucks win over Arkansas really happen?

+1 HS
HandsOfSweed's picture

That second tweet. Wow. It's been a minute since I've laughed that hard.

jedkat's picture

calm down everyone. It's just a

“The teams that don’t respect their coaches and don’t trust their coaches are the teams that go .500"
~Zach Boren

+8 HS
rdubs's picture

Time to pull an Auburn and claim that title

+20 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+10 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

If OSU did that the SEC network would spontaneously combust.

Nick_Satan's picture

I'm not sure how to embed a tweet but Pat Forde from yahoo!   said something about it. I would post if i knew how lol 

I am German so english is not my first language. Even though grammar Nazi's like to point out my mistakes all the time. It makes them feel better about them self.

DRAKE008's picture

Not good and embedding either.  Link below.

+1 HS
DRAKE008's picture

Pat Forde saying that this may be true. https://twitter.com/YahooForde

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Is it normal for a 40 something year old man to have shirtless teenagers on his twitter background?

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Could be his sons.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Klytus21's picture

Even if it is his son's, that pic is damn creepy.

NJBuck

+1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

Probably because they're not smiling or looking towards the camera like most family photos.  Are they pretending to be models or something?  It's unprofessional and not a good look for him imo.

-1 HS

Off to Irish Envy.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

There's no freude, like schadenfreude!

+4 HS
Boxley's picture

Full blown meltdown and escalating on the ND boards. It is looking very bad.

At this time the rumors are that a teachers aide did the school work for four ND players for the past two years. They are looking at forfeiture of the past two seasons, which by the way would give MSU a 14-0 2013 season record.,

"...the man who really counts in the world is the doer, not the mere critic-the man who actually does the work, even if roughly and imperfectly, not the man who only talks or writes about how it ought to be done." President T. Roosevelt

Groveport Heisman's picture

Same  thing we had to explain to *ichigan fans about out forfeited game against  them. They do not get a W but get to erase the L. So I guess 13-0

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
hetuck's picture

You don't get a win for a forfeit, but you don't keep a loss.

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+4 HS
osu78's picture

vacated wins do not give a W to the loser.

+2 HS
GoBucksOSU's picture

No MSU would still be 13-1. Vacated wins don't give the losing team the win and they also keep the loss. Any team ND beat will still have the loss even if ND's win against them is gone.

BucksfanXC's picture

Feldman is confirming dismissal, perm or temp not known

Those 4 guys weren't at practice

“Any time you give a man something he doesn't earn, you cheapen him. Our kids earn what they get, and that includes respect.”  - Woody

+1 HS
J.Mo's picture

Notre Dame joins the ACC... and took the "when in Rome, do as the Romans" saying to heart,

+4 HS

Does that mean Everett Golson is going on a crab run?

+8 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Haven't you seen the video? Jameis calmly walked the whole time.

-1 HS
osu407's picture

If it was true then wouldn't Golson have played last year?

Or were his grades so bad even fraud couldn't help?

EvanstonBuckeye's picture

Golson's suspension was for cheating/academic integrity, so really the same idea.

Grayskullsession's picture

I think we need to see some pictures of this tutor until we pass judgement.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Uhm, they've swept some pretty awful stuff under the rug...

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+13 HS
Oldschoolbuck's picture

What sanctimonious a**holes!

jrunyan's picture

Only Notre Dame fans can turn a scandal of rampant academic fraud into an occasion for sanctimonious self-righteousness. Their delusion knows no limits!

+2 HS
Citrus's picture

This comment is pure poetry. I am going to repeat this at the water cooler.

+1 HS
LouBuck35's picture

Cheer cheer for old Notre Dame, I'll write your papers - you sign your name.

I want a fall Saturday in Ohio Stadium..

+18 HS
Bluke221's picture

Just give me a screw or two, and I won't fail you right out of school...

"Statistics are like bikinis....they reveal a lot but not everything" -- Lou Pinella

+3 HS
osu78's picture

Don't have to study,  work hard at all

You're just here to play some football

BucksFan2000's picture

In other news, Notre Dame sucks.

+2 HS
Ahh Saturday's picture

Hey ND!  I told you not to put metal in the science oven!

+3 HS
e135800's picture

ND has higher academic standards than the B1G eh?

+2 HS
KevinJ's picture
+21 HS
Hovenaut's picture

+7 HS
Osurrt's picture

Yes...but deeply discounted

elitesmithie's picture

Well atleast they haven't got any GA's killed this off season. Thats a plus right?

+4 HS
LouGroza's picture
+2 HS
The Butler's picture

I've trained Canaries in the sport of falconry.

+6 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

"Two games seems fair" - Roger Goodell

In all seriousness, I wouldn't be surprised if they are back on the team if ND struggles.  (See: Everett Golson)

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
The Butler's picture

I believe that part of the reason ND struggles every year to put a quality program on the field every year is because of their rigorous academics and their stringent admissions policy. I think that if there is even a shred of truth to all these rumors, those four young men will never see the inside of the ND locker room again. 

Maybe there is room for forgiveness - I don't know how deep the academic fraud goes. But, if they take their academics as serious as they claim too, I just don't see the four players on the team after this incident.

Oldschoolbuck's picture

I believe that part of the reason ND struggles every year to put a quality program on the field ... is because of their rigorous academics...

That's funny as hell, given the scandal going on.

+4 HS
The Butler's picture

Tough academic would be the exact reason the scandal is going on. There wouldn't be much need for a tutor to write papers for the athletes if the classes were easy. 

+1 HS
PasadenaBuckeye626's picture

don't mean to grill you, but I completely disagree.  They clearly don't take academics as seriously as they claim because they've had an academic misconduct issue two years in a row.  They kicked Golson out of the school, and brought him back because he helps their football team.  Also, they don't limit their type of recruits.  They recruit the same people that everyone else does.

Go Bucks!

+3 HS
The Butler's picture

I don't pay too much attention to ND football, but they maybe having these issues because the academics are too hard for some of the kids. If a kid had a chance to play, but his grades were going to keep him form playing, some players would consider cheating in the classroom just to play football.

Why, or how, Golson was allowed back on the team is beyond me, but it would be safe to say that the majority of coaches in college today would go out of their way to give a kid a second chance. Some would say it was to benefit the team, others would say it was to benefit the player. We will never know the truth, but the real reason probably lies somewhere in the middle.

osu78's picture

I'd say they are pretty serious. That a professor would feel comfortable turning in several stars says a lot about the culture at ND. Do you think a professor at Alabama would do that? At many schools they would be vilified and their careers severely damaged. ND will need to look at how their academic standards impact athletes they recruit and decide what they want ND football to be; but I don't doubt, despite their recent troubles, that they deeply value doing things  the right way.

+1 HS
BuckeyeMike74's picture

Notre Dame is in trouble?

+4 HS
Birdman2's picture

It's all Urban's fault!

JohnnyKozmo's picture

So if Kelly is canned, as mentioned in a few of the above posts, is anyone worried at all about Urban being interested?   If he had been at tOSU longer and won a NC already, I would say yes.  But since it's only been 2, going on 3 years, and he hasn't won any sort of championship, I would say probably not.  Just wondering since he did coach there before, and was one of 3 schools he had an opt out clause for

The Butler's picture

+3 HS
The Butler's picture

+2 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

Either way no is the answer to that. 5, 10, 15 years however long he is at OSU he won't quit to go to ND.

+1 HS
TheNorthernBuckeye's picture

What color is Brian Kelly?

"You're an angry football team, and I'm proud to be your coach." - UFM

+1 HS
QueenCityBuckeye's picture
I'll just leave these here...
+14 HS
Hovenaut's picture

I am dying of laughter at that bottom clip!

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Best sign of the day Queen - never seen that before

+2 HS
Rob Reese's picture

After getting personal, smug pretentious messages on another forum during their 2012 run touting ND's lofty academic standards and life lessons, this makes me smile.

+2 HS
HoopHal's picture

Unless more comes out The NCAA will do nothing to Notre Dame or Brian K...the only conference that Il Duce,Mark Emmert,comes down on is the Big Ten.

-1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

Let's flip some of their recruits! 

Poison nuts's picture

I mean, is Jaylon Smith still a possibility?

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

UNC farts in your general direction.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS
Osurrt's picture

UNC thinks they are a bunch of amateurs....

+1 HS
bigDbuck's picture

Oh how the mighty (talking) fall. Took some of that shine of the dome. Be proud ND, you are now getting same caliber of athletes as scumbags in sec. Catholics AND Convicts got a new school! 

+2 HS
Osurrt's picture

Can't be long before we hear....Damn you Urban Meyer this is all your fault!

+1 HS
EvanstonBuckeye's picture

If nothing else happens to ND (via the NCAA), then the loss of these four players (notably Russell and Williams) is still incredibly damaging, especially given their losses on the D-line to the NFL this year. They will struggle against a tough schedule.

Hoody Wayes's picture

Notre Dame's making a big deal out of this for a reason: Higher education is big business, too. They could very well lower the boom on themselves, in South Bend. So what if the self-penalize themselves out of relevance in 2014? It will be good for business, in the long run.

Because...a couple years from now, this coexistence of industries - education and sport - will be a business plan. We may fear Notre Dame. 

BukFan's picture

ND has a culture problem.

+1 HS
BuckeyePoetLaureate's picture

Here's the conundrum: Some student-athletes just aren't all that interested in being students.  Even though I love learning and teaching, I have to acknowledge that those things are just not important to some people. 

I certainly don't have any solutions, but these kinds of scandals will happen until there is a real minor league farm system for football and basketball.  (Not that I necessarily want Ohio State and other colleges to miss out on top recruits for whom education isn't a top priority.)

Proud alumnus of the Ohio State Creative Writing MFA Program.  Creator of the writing craft site Great Writers Steal.

Hoody Wayes's picture

Great point. I suspect the "Power 5" institutions will come to grips with this by allowing athletes to audit courses. They would be required to attend school. They might even be required to declare an area of study. But, they would not be required to earn a degree.

osu78's picture

I've always thought the 2cd tier football leagues such as arena football should take kids out of HS and act as the developmental league. They could even institute some sort of transfer fee payment like soccer has with some of it going into a college fund to pay tuition for payers who don't make it in the NFL. Sure, some exceptional athletes won't play college ball but overall I doubt you'd see much drop-off in the overall quality of play; simply because there won't be enough slots for all the elite players and some may actually want to go to college and even get a degree.

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

IMO, it would depend on how much that developmental league would be playing said players.  If the players were getting $1,000/game over a 14 game season, than yeah, most would probably stick with college. If the league were able to pay the kids $3,000 to $4,000/ game, there would be a serious debate among a lot of players on wether to go to school, or not.  

But again, there are over 100 college teams with 85 man rosters ( close to 100 counting walk ons) that's over 10,000 student athletes.  I doubt a developmental league would have more than 10 teams with 60 man rosters.   Still have 9,400 players to spread around.

So, now that I talked myself through it, I agree that a developmental league really wouldn't impact the overall college product.

+1 HS
Buckeye1996's picture

Just tossing the other side to the developmental league your way.

Most players on college football teams never sniff the NFL. Only a small percentage get drafted or make a team. Even then, most of those who "get in" are out of the league after a few years.

The question becomes one of finance and how to make a living for your entire life. Sure some athletes make more than enough to carry them through life if they are smart with their money. Most, however, have to look elsewhere to make a living.

This brings me to the question of whether going to college is the best choice for most athletes. I mean, you get paid by receiving an education, top notch nutrition and training, and you get to make connections with people that will benefit you the rest of your life.

So, if I am not Andrew Luck or some other highly exceptional prospect, would I want to skip the college experience for a few thousand bucks in a developmental league? Only to have that end, and be left without all the LIFELONG benefits that going to college can give me?

I would not take that risk. I don't think most athletes would either. With all the academic support provided to college athletes, nearly all of them should be able to make the grade. Those that don't or skirt the system are probably not putting the same effort into their classes as they are their sport, for whatever reason.

Sure, you could always go back to college after trying to "make it", but then you have lost all the benefits that come with being a student athlete, which are greater than being just another student.

osu78's picture

I agree there are a lot of benefits form being a student athlete, and I think many would still go that route for several reasons:

1. A developmental league (DL) would probably take at best 20% of its rosters from high school. They will be looking for the top prospects since they still want to win and the real money is form developing talent.

2. High school athletes would get a professional assessment of their ability to make it. If the DL isn't interested that's a good sign they need to go the college route. they could still blossom, and would get all the benefits of being a student athlete.

Sure, going back after  a pro career is a different experience, but many would be more mature and see the prize much clearer since the NFL is no longer the goal. Plus, a DL player could still make contacts that would help him after school. I'd even say, let the kid play for  a year in the DL and if he doesn't pan out come back and play college ball. The downside is people boosters could funnel money into the DL to get players to go and then come back to their school. But given the here and now focus of recruiting they'd be risking him not panning out or not returning.

Jabba1977's picture

Ha Ha Ha!!!

SECHATER77

TURD_BUCKET's picture

Hilarious posts!!   I'm not worthy...

“Being average means you are as close to the bottom as you are to the top.”

southbay's picture

Anyone remember the basketball player (and a starter) who was kicked off the team at ND because he was in all sorts of academic trouble...but not until the end of December, and immediately after they played (and almost beat) the Buckeyes in New York?  Perhaps it's not surprising there is a bigger problem.

+1 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

So that's what it means to be catholic?

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

-1 HS