College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

BlueBayou's picture

There is nothing defensible about York’s actions.  The victim and the victim's friend never presented themselves as a threat.  York had enough time to think about punching him, line up, make sure no one is looking, and then clock him in the side of the head when the guy wasn’t looking.  The interesting thing in this is York’s friend appeared to know that York was going to punch the guy before it happened.  How is that?  There is nothing redeemable here.  He deserves to be gone and get his just punishment in the legal system.  If another school wants to give him a second chance, fine, but it better not be Michigan.  That is all.

*Edited comment to be a bit more constructive, but even so, I still think York is an asshole.

+15 HS
nmaxwell's picture

as a michigan fan that visits this site regularly, i can tell you the general consensus around mgoblog, 247, etc is the same.  there is absolutely no defending those actions.  the kid had his hands in his pockets.  i don't care what he may or may not have said to york's group, you don't do that.  i hope he learns from this and becomes a better person, but it won't be at michigan, and it won't be without a criminal record

+7 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

I think the best part is that you can see...csonte?, that's not a name...line up and get ready to knock him out, then someone walks past and he kind of relaxes, and then he winds up again. Any attempt of...York, to try and play this off as he was threatened is thrown right out the window.

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Had I not even known what it was I was watching...you could just feel the bad vibe from the get.

York laid that guy out - stating that in a most non-admirable way. He dropped like a stone.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Lets give these kids some money too...that'll help

This is absolutely digusting, looks like high school jocks to me picking on the little guy. Bunch of douchebags, suspended, dismissed, executed it doesnt matter, there must be some criminal charge IMO

UFM_Renewal

-2 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

I'm not sure what a stipend has anything to do with him suckerpunching someone. Stupid decisions happen with money or not. Yes, let's execute him for assaulting another person, that makes sense.

+5 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Sorry I get fired up about this kind of shit...like I said reminds me of something that high schoolers would partake in. The stipend comment was to say these incidents will rise once you give college kids a decent chuck of change IMO.

No, I dont think York should be executed lol I'm not that bad

UFM_Renewal

Borrowed Time's picture

and why would these incidents rise once you give college kids money?

+1 HS

Hey, I remember when I got a job in college and had a little extra cash. I'd walk up and down High punching people. Isn't that what everyone did?

+11 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Or, you know, they'll be able to live better.

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Youre seriously telling me that college football players don't live well?

UFM_Renewal

-2 HS
UrbzRenewal's picture

Well, I would think that having a bit of cash to help with living expenses would help them live better. But I guess that'll also make them more prone to being violent batterers. 

Maybe with that extra money they'll buy PS4s and stay in more at night therefore reducing the amount of batteries there are.

You can speculate anything.

+2 HS
ronbizi's picture

OSU_1992_UFM, are you Rick James re-incarnated?  Why do you make me think about that Dave Chapelle skit and how some people never should have been given money?

OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Im Rick James bitch!!!

Or am I "9Route"????

The saga continues.....

UFM_Renewal

Rob Reese's picture

Holy shit was that f*cking vicious.  He must be a student of the Taylor Lewan School of Anger Management. 

Jaw broke in three places and teeth knocked out?  A potential lifetime of "feeling" pain, whether it be slight discomfort, a partial or unnatural alignment, for "bumping into me".

Yeah, Go Blue.

+4 HS
jkrk's picture

A real display of bravery.

+2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

He gone. 

Total sucker punch, broke that guys jaw in three places...

+4 HS
Haubtimus Prime's picture

As if wearing that hat didn't give me reason enough to question his decision-making skills in the first place. 

Coward. 

+4 HS
Citrus's picture

If he were at LSU this and statutory rape would still allow him to stay on the team AND GET DRAFTED BY THE BENGALS OVER CARLOS HYDE

+11 HS
ronbizi's picture

I'm a Bengals fan and still had to upvote this comment.

+1 HS
Citrus's picture

I'm a Browns fan but don't dislike the Bengals. I wanted the Browns to draft him but O-Line was a more pressing need. I don't understand why the hell Jeremy Hill gets drafted over El Guapo IN OHIO. Especially after his run ins with the law.

sox33osu's picture

If Frank Clark plead guilty to a felony and only miss 2 games, York will likely miss the first half of the Appy State game. Hoke is a leader.

+5 HS
M Man's picture

Hoo boy; here we go again with Frank Clark.  I'm your downvoter.

-10 HS
sox33osu's picture

Still completely valid today.

+10 HS
M Man's picture

C'sonte York will never again wear a Michigan uniform.  He will be dismissed from the team, with finality, before the end of the year.  (He is indefinitely suspended right now, which is correct.)

Are you guys really certain you want to tap into the Cass Tech pipeline?

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

York didn't go to Cass...

+6 HS
M Man's picture

Sorry; Chandler Park Academy.

-1 HS
sox33osu's picture

We do not want to tap into the Chandler Park pipeline.

+18 HS
Rob Reese's picture

C'sonte York will never again wear a Michigan uniform.

Michigan, historically, just wants to do the right thing.

Right.  

I think it's little more due to the fact "The A2 po-po can't quite cover up shit and sweep it under a rug for an autographed football and wink like they once were so proficient at, due to modern technology and information disseminating in nano-seconds.". 

+2 HS
M Man's picture

So this is interesting.  Name me one occasion on which the Ann Arbor police covered up a football-related criminal offense.  I'm pretty sure I can come up with one or two more doubtful occasions than you can.  And I'd still be able to make the case that Michigan football players have gotten NO favors from the Washtenaw County Prosecutor's Office and indeed there have been some cases of over-zealous prosecution regarding football players.

-1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

You obviously do not know much about A2 police...and how much the loathe every student athlete...look at the history. They have never covered up, if anything they have pursued to the fullest extent of their power...

-2 HS
Tater_Schroeder's picture

Yep.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
jkrk's picture

Best comment on this thread. 

+1 HS
dancinhomer321's picture

I would think being kicked off the team now versus suspension would be the correct punishment, why wait until the end of the year, but you know Hoke wont do that.  You can always bring him back if the victim is paid off enough and charges are dropped.

Buckeye 4 Life!

+2 HS
M Man's picture

No, you misread/misinterpreted.

I think York is done, and his formal dismissal will be sooner rather than later.  And that all it will take is an arraignment and a pretrial hearing and that under the circumstances with the video evidence, Hoke will dismiss him outright.  It is exactly what I would expect Urban Meyer to do, and what Meyer has done.

+7 HS
Hovenaut's picture

It is exactly what I would expect Urban Meyer to do, and what Meyer has done."

Agreed. Both points.

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+4 HS
Yenots11's picture

I took a peek down the mlive comments, and there seems to be legitimate, I guess you could say, "institutional control" concerns coming from a healthy amount of TTUN fans. 

@M Man...what say you?

Go Bucks!! 

"Aut viam inveniam aut faciam!"

-1 HS
M Man's picture

I am really glad you asked this question.

Understand this about "MLive..."

MLive is not a University of Michigan outlet.  Not even close.  "MLive" is the digital consortium of a large handful of midsize outstate Michigan newspapers.  While the name "MLive" might naturally lead many of you to think that it somehow reflects U-M, or is a great big U-M blog of some kind... NOT.

If you want to find some of the state of Michigan's finest Wolverine-hating trolls, you'll find them on MLive.  What used to be the Ann Arbor News (and is now the digital-only AnnArbor.com) is part of MLive, but it represents the local papers from Saginaw to Muskegon to Grand Rapids to Kalamazoo and all over.

MLive comments pages are one of the great online mosh-pits in the midwest.  And they LOVE the clickbait provided by MSU-UM kerfuffles.

Additionally:  If you are looking for the "Michigan faithful" reaction to this disturbing video, look to the MGoBoard.  Where opinion seems to running at about 114% to zero in favor of dismissing C'sonte York yesterday.

+5 HS

Kerfuffles. +1

+4 HS
Bigbutterbuckeye's picture

While I will agree with you that the vast majority of posters were calling for him to be kicked off the team immediately, I counted no fewer than four posters in the first two pages that were either saying "should wait until the courts decide" or "no need to ruin the kids life by kicking him off the team" What? Ruin his life? Like hitting him as hard as possible in the side of the face?

And the funny part of that thread is the people saying "Well, we aren't as bad as Sparty or Ohio, hurk a hurk" Nope, you're worse. Does anyone seriously think that if this was at OSU he wouldn't already be gone? Hell Hyde got suspended 3 games last year for making a few bad decisions, mainly where he was at 2 am. This is essentially the same as if Carlos had waited for that girl to walk by him and cold cocked her. While we have great affection for him around here, I don't think you would have found anyone standing up for him. 

M Man's picture

York IS "already gone."  He is suspended, indefinitely.  And that will soon turn into "dismissal."  York isn't suspended for the first half of one game, as is sarcastically suggested by some on these pages.  York is gone, for all games, and all practices, and all meetings, until further notice and the "further notice" is surely going to be, "forever."

-1 HS
buckskin's picture

M man, just go ahead and reveal your true identity as Dave Brandon. You will still be welcome here.
Seriously though, you seem to assured that he IS going to be off the team for good.

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I checked to see if this Csont'e York turd had been one of the punks on Michigan's kickoff defense team that ganged up on Dontre Wilson in the 2013 version of The Game. But, apparently, this turd redshirted last year. I guess this tough guy York won't get to show how hard he is against Michigan State.

+2 HS
wibuckeye's picture

Tough guy. As soon as he clocks the guy and somebody comes at him, he runs like Lewan from a fight.   Pussant'e York. 

WIBUCKEYE

+5 HS
KeithMC33's picture

Wow, that was awful.

It's instances like this that i really wish we knew what happened that led up to this. You can see the kid who got hit go head to head with another person, so i wonder what was said? This very well could have just been a D-bag cheapshot by York, or it very well could have been any number of things. I'm not saying that it should be justified in ANY way, but i wonder how much more to the story there is. I am just trying to be subjective, that's all. i know that IF this was an OSU student athlete i would want to look at all aspects of the incident instead of jumping to any conclusions. 

I guess we will find out sooner or later? 

-1 HS
FloridaBuck's picture

A number of what other things?

He lines up, braces himself, throws a wound up haymaker at a kids face who is not even looking or aware of what's about to happen. 

Regardless of what was said verbally to the other party, there simply is not any justifiable reason for his actions. 

And yep, subjective is a much better description of your comments than objective. 

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

KeithMC33...no.

"Death created time to grow the things that it would kill" - Detective Rustin Cohle.

+4 HS
Becool12's picture

Les Miles and LSU just got off the phone with Michigan and apparently LSU has voted to offer York a scholarship

+4 HS
hodge's picture
+3 HS
M Man's picture

The MLive article went out of its way to say that the victim was not known to be a Michigan Hockey player.  There's a reason for that.  I'm not very well connected when it comes to Ann Arbor bar fights, but the kids who seem to know that sort of stuff had indicated that it was indeed a fight between a football player (York) and a Michigan hockey player (I'll leave that name aside, given the suspect provenance).  And that yes, it was a sucker-punch and that the bar (Scorekeepers a/k/a the infamous "Skeeps") is the one place where about 85% of all off-field transgressions occur.

I think if I were a coach, I might "suggest" to my guys that I was a regular at Skeeps (along with most of my assistant coaches and all of my GA's and all of their friends) and that I better not ever see or hear of any current players being there.

sox33osu's picture

Or if I were a coach, I'd tell my players not to be little punks. It is completely and entirely possible to go out to a bar and not get into a frickin fight.

+4 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture
+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Well I guess Mindy Drayer's services aren't needed on this one.

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

I've got a service for Mindy Drayer.

-1 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Complete bitch move by a uneducated savage. Hope he pays dearly.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
CincyBuckeye31's picture

That was disturbing.  What a piece of garbage.

+6 HS
blu.fan's picture

York needs to be off the team, and will be off the team. There is no excuse for a sucker punch like that, and he needs to be released as soon as possible.

I would expect any decent coach out there to release a player who pulls a stunt like that. Meyer would can him right away. I personally am very glad for the video evidence, and wish there were more video evidence in more circumstances.

+3 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

Dude, where were they? The set of Dexter?

I'll never understand how people think that just because someone bumps into you, you have to do something to prove that they can't "disrespect" you. It's just so stupid. You don't prove that you're tough by taking a cheap shot at someone and running away. You prove that you're a thug who is a complete wuss and not man enough to sort these things out rationally. Nothing, NOTHING, outside of an impending, immediate, legitimate threat gives you the right to hit anyone.

The good news is that Hoke consulted with Richt, who advised him to sit Csont'e (seriously, that's his real name?) York for the first series of the Appy State game.

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

+3 HS
RKilbane20's picture

Hit for being white? That has to a be a first.

Class of '14 & '16

-2 HS
blueinsconsin's picture

should be kicked off the team, if not out of school for this.  I'm not sure if he has a history of this sort of thing, but this is right up there, if not worse, than the Jayru body slam.

Not here to troll...Go Blue

+1 HS
sox33osu's picture

He will likely be both kicked off the team and out of the school. If I'm that kid, I'm going after York with every legal outlet available. He belongs in prison for a long time.

+3 HS
MaximusBlue's picture

He straight cold-clocked him. That was a vicious right hand. He will be very lucky to remain part of the program. Kid just made a dumb life-changing decision. I do believe in second chances and hope the kid gets his act together. Don't believe it will be in a Michigan jersey, but football is the least of his worries right now.

whiskeyjuice's picture

Anybody take the time to read the comments below the video? They are quite entertaining. Appears to be back and forth between *ichigan and Sparty fan base.

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

You can't tell me this wasn't premeditated. They were blocking the flow of traffic to try to instigate a bump in so they could fight. You see the one friend walk by and the one kid blocking the sidewalk almost follows him to get a nudge on him. 

This was all planned. They were searching for victims. I would like to know how long they stood in that formation before the sucker punch. Lock this punk up, this wasn't a mistake this was predetermined. 

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+2 HS
BassDropper's picture

Lately the word "thug" has been thrown around a lot..especially when discussing Richard Sherman, and people want to make it a race thing. In my opinion, this is the true definition of a thug. Richard Sherman is not a thug, C'sonte York is. According to Deadspin, the fight was over football and hockey (the guy he punched was a hockey player). York is pussy. He knew if push came to shove he would have gotten his ass beat.

DIRECTIONER

+4 HS
HeuermanTheFireman's picture

Thank you. I was going to use the term Thug but I was afraid of the type of backlash that happens when you use that word. This act was clearly thought out.

The person responsible for toes clearly wanted you to stub them.

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Thug isnt a racial term at all. The only race that might have a claim to it are the Italians. But like anything in todays society people need something to whine and cry about.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
blueinsconsin's picture

He was just dismissed from the program.  No idea about his school career yet, but I have a feeling it won't be at Michigan.

Not here to troll...Go Blue