College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Should we be rooting for TTUN???

What Would Troy Smith Do's picture
August 1, 2014 at 3:30pm
77 Comments

Ugh, just typing that made me throw up in my mouth a little bit.

I've seen many variations of "I hope Hoke stays around a long time" thrown around on here.

This seems to be the prevailing thought around here.

So even though I think he is improving TTUN  (ask me about what I think his recruiting is doing vs. what he came into, player development aside), I think he is a goner if he loses to us and MSU again and fails to win at least 9 games.

If this happens, and with the Harbaugh/49ers talks breaking down (seems to be some really bad blood between he and the front office) does TTUN swoop in with a Godfather offer?  Let's face it, at this point Brandon will be in hot water too.  His corporate branding (not going over well) and hand picked coach (in serious hot water if has the aforementioned season) will have him looking for a quick answer.

Harbaugh would give them serious momentum.  Can you say new 10 Year War?

I would have thought this ludicrous not that long ago, but the stars seem to be lining up.

What do ya'll think?

kicks's picture

I hate to put it this way, but it almost sounds like you're scared if that happens.  It's going to be a rivalry regardless who the coach is up there.  We've been on the winning side for a while now but that could change at any moment.  I'm more than comfortable with who our coach is and the kids he brings in to play for The Ohio State.  That terrible school up north can do what ever they need to do, I expect a win every year against them boys no matter what the circumstances are.

+3 HS

Not scared at all.  I'd say scarred.  I came up during the '90's if that explains it.  I guess I'd prefer they not suck, but not be great either.  The only time I've ever felt comfortable going into The Game was probably the home games during RichRod's era.  Other than that, favored or not, I get nervous.  It's probably the PTSD from the Cooper years.

And the reason I brought it up was because I have seen a ton of "I hope Hoke stays around forever" talk.  I'm not so sure he makes it another year.  Especially, if they have a shot for Harbaugh.  I think Urban is better but it sure as hell gives them a coach with a resume that is close to equal.

+2 HS
kicks's picture

Fair enough on all of your points, that's just how I interpreted the OP.  I mean, yes that's one game it's hard to feel confident about a lot.  TTUN was going through a lot of stuff last year while we were favored to win the B1G and possibly go to the NC game but we're still almost shocked before Tyvis Powell saved the day.  It's always going to bring the best out of everyone who is involved in the game.  Who ever is more hungry that day is going to win even if the winning team comes in 0-11.  Just how this one works.

Chip's picture

I don't think anyone would be scared of Harbaugh, but it's hard to deny that he would most likely turns things around for them very quickly.  The dude is an excellent coach and would be a worthy opponent to Urban.

Earle's picture

Never. "Michigan Men" come and go, but Michigan Hate endures forever.

Just say no to italics abuse.

+16 HS
Gametime's picture

There's the Earle I'm used to! But definitely this^

...I too dream in color and in rhyme
So I guess I'm one of a kind in a full house
Cause whenever I open my heart, my soul or my mouth
A touch of God rains out...

+4 HS
Earle's picture

Nothing wrong with a little off-season frivolity, but there's football this month. Time to get back to business.

Just say no to italics abuse.

jeremytwoface's picture

No.

The answer is always no.

The first man gets the ((((Oyster)))), the second man gets the shell.

+6 HS
AndyVance's picture

Truth be told, a renewal of the 10-Year War wouldn't be a bad thing at all. The level of mediocrity achieved over the past decade, especially since 2006, by That Team Up North is pretty astounding. At least during the Cooper era John won lots of other games, even if he failed to deliver the most important victories. Rich Rod and Hoke have failed to do even that.

-1 HS

I think it would be absolutely compelling stuff.  The Ten Year War, while before my time was highlighted by Woody and Bo.  And I'll be damned if Urban vs. Jim  (not quite the same ring to it huh?) doesnt match it. It would be must see TV.  We might almost get ESPN talking about us and in a good way again.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

The Ten Year War, while before my time was highlighted by Woody and Bo. 

I prefer Tressel's decade of dominance.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+4 HS
Poison nuts's picture

I prefer Tressel's decade of dominance.

That was a pretty damn good time...

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

mh277907's picture

I'm good with them going 7-6 and losing to us and MSU every year.

buckeyebobcat

+7 HS
Fatpants's picture

I still remember the Cooper years.

Hell no.

F'em now and forever.

+10 HS
Prickly_Pete's picture

I'd like to see *ichigan win 8 games (so as not to embarrass the Big 10), lose to OSU badly, then finish with a sloppy win in the Little Caesars Pizza bowl.  Seeing Hoke hold up a bowl trophy with a pizza on it would be glorious. 

+5 HS
VintonCountyBuck's picture

This deserved to be repeated.

“Right now, Michigan is not at the pinnacle of college football, and that’s all Urban Meyer cares about...He’s been there and knows what it takes to get there.” 

+4 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

When we are ahead in the series, then maybe I'll hope they field a good team. Until then, I'm loving their mediocrity.

+1 HS
BierStube's picture

Michigan is doing just hOKe!

"No matter where you go, there you are." B. Banzai

+2 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

No.

"Nothing that comes easy in this world is worth a damn." ~ W. Hayes

Rooting for them would demean the rivalry.

Alabama fans claiming that Auburn is their second favorite team is inane.

+2 HS
BuckeyeGrownFloridaLiving's picture

I get what you're saying but that quote you used actually goes against the point you're trying to make. The rivalry comes easier when UM sucks, therefore, it's not as sweet as when UM is good.

+1 HS
unknownmusketeer's picture

If you make it easy on Michigan because you don't ridicule them for being mediocre, then you are basically giving them a free pass to stay mediocre forever.

I would also agree that it is not as sweet when UM is not good, but it is not my job or inclination to pity them. It won't make them any better.

makearuckus's picture

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

+3 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

When it comes to his food consumption anything that moves is fair game......and speaking of food, I would rather eat broken glass and rusty tin cans than ever root for Missagain in any way shape or form.

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

Hovenaut's picture

I think the rivalry, and the fans, deserve the best it has to offer.

I don't know if that will come under Brady Hoke or not, not particularly concerned about it. Their problem...they're the ones who keep digging up these guys from Ohio. 

For the record, I'd be surprised if Harbaugh left the pros - he young, successful and will stay in demand at that level imo.

Hate Week runneth over

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

But how much love does he have for *ichigan? If *ichigan continues to slide with losses to their rivals, losing to un-ranked underdogs, etc, it could become personal if it starts to bother him. The athletic department and alumni could hunt him down like the droids went after Luke telling Harbaugh that he is the one, "the only hope". Could come down to how much he bleeds those nasty looking *aise and boo colors.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+1 HS
airbuckeye's picture

No has a matter of fact make that a big HELL NO!!!!!!!. I was brought up to hate everything about that shit hole up north. My mother even forbid that team or State's name to even be spoken in the house.

+6 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

Your mama brought you up right!!!!!

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

+1 HS
OSUpawn's picture

I don't care about a new ten year war. I like kicking their a$$ every year. 

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+5 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

I want OSU to catch up and take over the overall win column between the two.

"Championships are not won on Saturdays in November. Championships are won on Tuesdays in August." -- Kerry Combs

+2 HS
BigZ's picture

I am never sad to see TTUN lose. However, I would love for them to be good or even great again, get to The Game with everything on the line, and then lose, and lose bad. As Buckeyes, we all know the sting of losing that game when it matters and how bad that feeling is.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

+1 HS
Marcus Hall's Middle Fingers's picture

I think "Cooper Era PTSD" is a real condition. There are no words to accurately describe the frustration of growing up in the 90's as a Buckeye. Best example I can think of is maybe imagine the worst case of blue-balls you've ever had, then extend it by a decade or so.....I'm still not ready for parity between our two programs.

Side Note:  I'm not trying to hate on Coop, so please don't take it that way.

+8 HS
Fatpants's picture

Wholeheartily agree. I can never root for them. I even enjoyed watching god-damned Alabama stomp their asses. 

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Blue Balls are for Michigan Men and those that "wish they'd get better."

+1 HS
Fatpants's picture

Damn right. Anybody that wants them to get better needs to go sit through michigan winning in Columbus. 

CincyOSU's picture

Who said anything about wanting them to beat OSU? The point is a strong UM is better for the league and better for the rivalry. 

Do you really want you arch rival to be 3-8 every time you play them? Why not just make Illinois out main rival then...it'll have the same meaning. 

FROMTHE18's picture

I have never and will never root for Michigan. It is a borderline passion of mine to hate them. I don't understand OSU fans that would ever root for Michigan. It is not OSU's problem if Michigan sucks, I hope they suck and I hope we beat them every single year, it never gets boring. 

+3 HS
gumtape's picture

just another psycho, irrational, delusional Ohio St fan

+4 HS
makearuckus's picture

During the regular season don't care for -ichigan has done . But if they get into bowl games I Wish they could win ! As to better The BIG as a whole! especially against SEC !!!!

"Woody's style was strength-on-strength, will-on-will, toughness-on-toughness." Woody's philosophy was, "I will pound you and pound you until you quit."

-2 HS
buckeyestu's picture

I hate scum. I hope they lose every game, by double digits, by triple digits if possible. I hope they get shut out every game they play every year. Screw scum, I don't care who is coaching them, Screw scum.

+4 HS
Buckeye in Illini country's picture
At that's the bottom line...

What?

because Stone Cold said so!

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+3 HS
CincyOSU's picture

I'll say it again....the people who want UM to be 2-10 every year fail to realize the ONLY reason this rivalry is what it is(and the reason you hate Michigan to begin with), is because of the tradition of excellence at both schools(combined with the close proximity). Do we really want our arch rival to be some school on par with the likes of Indiana or Purdue? Do you think it will continue to be "The Game" if it's a 10-1 OSU team vs a 4-7 UM team? Do you think this will still be widely considered the #1 rivalry in all of sports if one of the teams isn't even going to a bowl game on a regular basis? YOU might still get amped up for the game, but the national prestige will slowly die and this will just be another regional rivalry.

You can't tell me that the 2006 game didn't have a different feel to it than those games during the RR years. I'd much rather play an elite UM school and ruin their chances of making the playoff while strengthening our chances...it's moments like that that make this rivalry special. I for one don't ever want to lose that. Personally I hate UM even more right now because they are sucking the wind out of the rivalry with their mediocrity.

Buckeye in Illini country's picture

But wasn't it one of the best things ever when this happened:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Columbus to Pasadena: 35 hours.  We're on a road trip through the desert looking for strippers and cocaine... and Rose Bowl wins!

+6 HS

Yes.  Yes it was.  Probably my greated joy in college football outside of beating them directly or the '03 Fiesta Bowl.

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Don't get me wrong, I was screaming like a little girl when that happened. But UM also recovered and was a top 15ish team when we played, and beat them.

Remember all the pain we felt during the Cooper years? Don't like returning the favor and ruining their special seasons.

+1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

One of my most favorite moments in sports ever when appy beat scum.

IslandBumBuckeye's picture

Remember this like it was yesterday -- Appy St had it locked up... then they didn't... then they did... but the poor kid that scooped up the pigskin was forever banished to the end of the bench for being chased down AND CAUGHT by a pudgy place-kicker

"...because they wouldn't let me go for three."

Seattle Linga's picture

Top ten gif of all time - Buckeye in Illy

Orangeslash's picture

If this happens, and with the Harbaugh/49ers talks breaking down (seems to be some really bad blood between he and the front office) does TTUN swoop in with a Godfather offer?

So many things. First, where in the world are you seeing really bad blood? There was some mild drama completely overblown by the media months ago, and that is long gone. Second, Harbaugh has proven himself a stellar NFL coach. If, in some strange universe, he randomly takes another job, it wouldn't be back down to the college football level.

I guess so many things was really just two things, but regardless, of all situations that may happen, this is extremely unlikely.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/07/31/49ers-harbaugh-pull-plug...

I guess, my take on it is that if the 49ers aren't locking him up quickly, and have seriously considered trading Harbaugh, then the two definitely don't see eye to eye on more than just what he wants in his contract.  They hadn't done much for years until he showed up.  You just don't do that to a coach of his caliber if the only reason is that you want to pay him 5M/yr and he wants 6M/yr (my made up numbers to make a point).  That's just how I see it.

I'm not so sure he leaves the NFL either, but it seems to me as if things are lining up for TTUN to make one last run at him with a Godfather offer.  Not sure it would get it done, but I don't see this situation as all that unlikely, whether he leaves the NFL or not.

+1 HS
JohnnyKozmo's picture

How much $ could they possibly throw at him?  Are we talking Saban money?   I think Urbs is around $4mil a year right?  If he's unhappy with $5mil a year in San Fran, how much could UM justify paying him, considering he's never won a NC or Super Bowl?

BassDropper's picture

My dream scenario each season is to have Ohio State and Michigan enter THE GAME undefeated. A good Michigan is good for the Big 10 and ultimately Ohio State, especially with the new playoffs. If you haven't before, I would start rooting for Michigan in OOC games and any game that doesn't affect Ohio State. Usually when Michigan starts imploding midseason, I can't help but to sit back and enjoy the ride. With that being said, I'll still be pulling for App. State, just because. 

DIRECTIONER

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
Crumb's picture

NEVER!

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

No.

Watching that annual dumpster fire up there is as entertaining as beating the dog snot out of them.  The second best thing to an OSU beatdown over UM, is watching someone else do the same.

If you need italics to understand or imply sarcasm, then you're doing it wrong.

+1 HS
IslandBumBuckeye's picture

Not trying to hijack this thread, but ^^ this guy not having a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame is a heinous crime.

"Watch out for your cornhole, bud."

Classic.

"...because they wouldn't let me go for three."

BHT's picture

Let me put it this way: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Maybe if Hoke gets fired, the might bring back my favorite coach who coached up north: Richrod.

+2 HS
toad1204's picture

I hate to say it I hope they go undefeated except for the last week of November.  It stings that much more to be so high and then get shot down, not to mention it improves our SOS.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

-1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Well if you hope they go undefeated, you are going to be very disappointed. And very quickly.

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

I find it funny if they lose during the season because wolverine tears tasty, but if anyone of OSU's opponents is undefeated after 4-5 games it does nothing but help from a PR/ media standpoint, not to mention create a good and hopefully lopsided game.

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I can't take it anymore. MSU is the new TTUN. Forget about it already and quit wishing good things on that damn team up north.

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I'm rooting for their stadium to get turned into a parking lot. Does that count?

+3 HS
Toilrt Paper's picture

For U of M to get Harbaugh they will have to make him the highest paid college coach in the country.

+1 HS
Jeeves's picture

And as much as I despise those cocky sobs they could afford it if anyone could. I doubt ultimately the academics would allow it.

+1 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

The rational side of me says yes because it will help OSU.

The Buckeye fan side of me says no, they should be sucking our nuts. 

It's hard.

Class of 2010.

+1 HS

Yeah.  I have the same conflicting thoughts.  My dad however, would like to see them burn and likely piss on their ashes.

Seattle Linga's picture

Never scared of the hoke-ster or harbaugh. Jim is classic with each and every one of his tantrums.

As far as coaching is concerned - Jim would run laps around hoke when comparing them  - uh oh - I think I left the door open for a few pot-shots.

Jabba1977's picture

I have the same problem, when it comes to Scum!! Especially in the bowl games, if they are playing an SEC team,I cannot decide who to root fore!! I hate scum and I hate the SEC, so it is a major issue!!!

SECHATER77

NashBuckeye's picture

My theory has always been that I love Ohio State MORE than I hate Michigan, so I will root for scUM when it has a clear benefit to Ohio State. As long as I continue to live in Nashville, TN, I will always root for scUM against an SEC team.  I also root for them against Notre Dame. 

By rooting for them, I mean I want them to win. I do not cheer out loud for them. I still change the channel when that horrendous band plays that horrendous song after a big play.  I can only stand so much vomit in my mouth.

Brutus's picture

Harbaugh will not leave the NFL until he wins a Super Bowl, so the above scenario is highly unlikely unless of course this is the year for the 49ers, which it may well be. That said, no.  Just no.

whiskeyjuice's picture

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

+2 HS
airbuckeye's picture

Danny i hope your wish is better than mine has been for years because mine has never come to fruition and i have been wishing the same thing for 40 damn years.

And that is to one day be watching Scom and NDshame playing in one of those shit holes and the earth open up and swallow either one of those damn Stadium's

-1 HS
Bucks's picture

Guess I'm indifferent to rooting for or against Michigan being better. Understand the viewpoint on both ends. I guess, for me, it comes down to this:

1) I lived through the 90's. While both teams we're playing @ peaks, I dont feel any better about the losses. Would I dislike the losses more if we lost to worse teams? Maybe in the moment but the loss would still end up a loss.

2) This is Michigan football. At some point, they'll be right back in things and a perennial power. Whether it be the institution, history or sheer money, they'll get it right eventually. You had better believe I won't be saying 'Gee, it sucks we lost but I'm so happy it was to a great Michigan team,' whenever that inevitable heartbreak loss happens.

3) There haven't been enough tears from some of my northern friends (who proclaimed Hokey Pokey was the answer and yada yada), to satisfy me yet.

Right now, I'll enjoy the mess up there ... think back on how irate I was after spoiled seasons & wait for the next 10 yr war, b/c it will absolutely come back around eventually. 

+1 HS
Poison nuts's picture

Nope. Don't care who the coach is. Harbaugh? Bring it. Either of them. I mean, I like when OSU beats a strong UM, as it's more satisfying to crush dreams as they did to OSU on so many occasions, but should we root for them so that they can keep a coach we deem as mediocre, no. Although I joke around a lot & say I hope Hoke is there forever, I wouldn't care at all or be fearful about any other coach in the country getting in there. Our guy UFM's is pretty good at what he does...This is Ohio State Dammit!

"Do not pass me, just slow down - I can move right through you" Superchunk - Precision Auto.

+1 HS