College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Prospect Dropped for his Social Media Presence

Tater_Schroeder's picture
July 30, 2014 at 9:00am
20 Comments

Saw this Tweet come through:

Herb Hand is the offensive line and running backs coach for Penn State. I know the 11W community is pretty in-tune with social media, so I thought this would be of interest.

My thought is that it's better to avoid the headache rather than get rid of it later. 

J.Mo's picture

I really hope Urban and staff are following the recruits they're interested in on Twitter too. 

I believe the Athletic Department does employ a person or two for this exact responsibility. Hard to believe they can keep up with current athletes and prospects as well.

How Firm Thy Friendship

+2 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Let's look at who da Urbz has recently followed...Lawrence Cager, Branden Bowen, Matt Dovenbarger, Kevin Feder(line), Tyler Green.

If the top dog is following these guys, gotta think the position coaches, Mark Pantoni, others are as well

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

+3 HS
11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Double edged sword with social media. You can let countless people follow you and make you feel like a celebrity, and then say one stupid thing and thousand of people know about it and judge you for it.

Not stopping until I have more Helmet Stickers than M Man

kholmes's picture

i would term it as "coach claims to drop prospect for his social media presence" rather than prospect actually dropped. Sometimes things like these are more trying to deliver a life lesson message to recruits and its a more effective message if recruits hear a message that they can miss out on a scholarship. Whether a prospect was actually dropped in this case, we will never know.

Hand apparently thinks it is of value to send this tweet out either as a lesson to recruits or to show people that the PSU coaching staff values morality and ethics. His tweet then has that same value even if the dropped recruit thing never actually happened.

+7 HS
FairfaxBuckeye's picture

Ohio State is monitoring social media of current players and recruits, per Meyer, when he was on the Dan Patrick show earlier this week.

http://www.thescore.com/ncaaf/news/545353

+3 HS

Great link! Thanks Fairfax!

How Firm Thy Friendship

Fatpants's picture

Not the first time. michigan did this with Yuri Wright. His tweets were bad.

+4 HS
mh277907's picture

Prospect must not have had a good enough looking girlfriend...

buckeyebobcat

+4 HS
MN Buckeye's picture

I hear that Tennessee is recruiting him hard.

+1 HS
OSU069's picture

Is this referring to something specific?

Seattle Linga's picture

I've heard of people not getting jobs because of what they've posted on social media after the interview.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

This one really seems odd to me. After reading PSU commit and OLine prospect Sterling Jenkins twitter last year. Kid degraded women.Talked openly of using drugs. Talked gangs. And to top it off he was also being a racist. Not really  sure what more this new prospect could have done that Mr. Jenkins didnt already accomplish, except maybe not be a top 100 prospect?

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
Fatpants's picture

Given that this is penn state, probably said something against the Cult of Joe.

+2 HS
dustinccc's picture

I have coached high level girls volleyball for over a decade.  I have helped many kids through the recruiting process and this is always a conversation topic, some listen and some don't.  I have had coaches call me back (couldn't call the kids, per NCAA rules, only Soph's) and ask me to pass on the message that they are no longer interested because of whats online.  Hard thing for a kid to learn.  Makes me glad I didn't grow up with social media as a teenager. 

+3 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Isn't Franklin getting rid of lower-tier scholarship players to make room for better prospects? The fact PSU pretends to have ethics is laughable. 

+2 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

Once the fake bravado wears off and PSU tanks the season he will be begging for the "lower tier" players once the commits start looking elsewhere.

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

+1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

PSU tanks the season he will be begging for the "lower tier" players once the commits start looking elsewhere.

This is such a common myth. It's very rare that a commit changes his mind because a team has a bad season. In PSU's case it's even less likely. These kids know the situation PSU is in and are likely being sold on playing time and being a part of rebuilding the program. Even if PSU goes 3-9, I wouldn't expect a mass exodus of recruits.

+1 HS
Grayskullsession's picture

You are right. Wishful thinking mostly. Thanks for ruining my fun. :(

"if irony were made of strawberries, we' d all be drinking a lot of smoothies right now."

kholmes's picture

Hand's tweet is getting some negative feedback now...

@bomani_jones: if a coach wants to pull an offer over social media, fine. but broadcasting that stuff on twitter like that is so unnecessary.

+1 HS