College sports discussion.

Player Tracking GPS Devices

Tater_Schroeder's picture
July 28, 2014 at 9:46pm
13 Comments
Urban Nation Army's picture

Link doesn't work - goes to google play scorecenter app

EDIT: I see you fixed it

Bet you can't say "Bert Bielma is a bumbling buffoon" five times fast.

+1 HS

Working on my phone now....  Never tried posting a link from here before.  Thanks for the heads up though! 

How Firm Thy Friendship

WhySoSerious's picture

works and that's pretty coo. is that how championships are won these days?

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

+1 HS

It does feel like more of a "gimmick", but many things do when they first are developed. I see some cool potential with it. 

How Firm Thy Friendship

whiskeyjuice's picture

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
CTBuckeye's picture

With the GPS capabilities I can imagine it can help to diagram each play as well - how each player ran it when it was successful, or not.  I guess it's not surprising that more technology / data analysis is working its way into football given its success in baseball, and basketball to lesser extent.

Definitely a cool concept - will have to see if other programs adopt this and how the technology grows in the next few years.

"Because we couldn't go for three"

+3 HS
Scarlet_Buckeye's picture

I for one love the idea of this

+1 HS
Gobucks2204's picture

They could fit the coaches with them during games. How would Brady Hoke's movements and numbers compare to say someone like Kerry Coombs?

+2 HS

Yes, please.

How Firm Thy Friendship

KBonay's picture

Apparently the tracking stops at the grocery store...

+4 HS
southbay's picture

When I saw this topic I thought maybe it (GPS tracking) could be used to help keep the players out of places like the Sugar Bar, or that god-awful joint that Sprinkle stumbled into...

+1 HS
OHCelt's picture

GPS trackers are routinely used in professional rugby teams in the UK for some time. They log complete stats of distances (and speeds) that players log during games, and also of tackles made, together with the force involved in each collision. On the basis of the impact data, trainers determine what is the best post-game recovery for each individual player. I am surprised if they are not used for football players, both in training and in games.

osu07asu10's picture

I'm not sure this has a real practical benefit for football teams. It may aide in video work but 10 players don't move enough to make a difference (OL/DL) and really you would  be looking at 1-2 players movement over a 10-20 yard area. Hardly enough to register on GPS tracking unless it is very very sensitive.

Something like rugby and soccer where players move more freely, I could see a benefit to it.

EDIT: After reading the article a second time, I think it has less to do with the GPS data they receive (they used top speed as the only real GPS tracked data) and more with the health tracking (heart rate, body temp, recovery rate, etc) those are all obtained and sent back via bluetooth or a wireless connection that has little to do with GPS.

Sans simplifying conditioning tests and providing additional info on the spot (top speed, average speed, etc) I think GPS is useless. However, the health and body metrics are legit and I can see that being a major benefit to a training program.

Can you imagine Coach Mick with this info at his disposal?

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick