College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Putting it to some scUM fans

OSUpawn's picture
July 28, 2014 at 4:27pm
36 Comments

I was in Mexico this past week for my honeymoon.  Thanks, and yes we had a great time.  As I was waiting to play in the ping pong tourney, a guy in his mid 20's was standing next to me looked at my hat and said "I feel bad for you".  I turn and looked at him and said "what's your team"?  He replied "Michigan".  I had a surprising look on my face and said "you feel sorry for me?"  "You can't even beat little brother".  He did one of the I shouldn't have said anything laughs and turn and walked away.

So I would like to hear some stories of when someone put it to some scUM fans.  Not talking about at tailgating or near the stadium.

Buckeyevstheworld's picture

"You can't even beat little brother".

Or App St.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Funny how they forget their 52-14 loss in the 2010 gator Bowl to a 8-4 Mississippi State jugernaut.

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

They should thank God for the stupidity of the BigTen refs. If not for them, Akron would have won.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+3 HS
Killer nuts's picture

Perhaps you could've picked a better team as your example, we didn't beat little brother either... at any rate we beat them head to head so he can't really make much of an argument

+5 HS
OSUpawn's picture

True.  At the time that was the first thing that came to mind.  I did run into a lot of Buckeye fans there.  Buckeye Nation is strong.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+3 HS
IGotAWoody's picture

Meatchicken is 1-5 against Little Bro over their past 6. We're 4-2, including a 38-7 and a 45-7 pasting. I think your come back was just fine.

- License to kill gophers (wolverines, badgers, etc) by the government of the United Nations

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I don't know about putting it to the fan, but I ran into an obnoxious fan in a Chipotle in Charlotte, NC.

This was prior to Hoke's first year, while all of the Tatgate stuff was going on...

He was so giddy to try and throw it in my face. Conversation was cordial until he just wouldn't stop interrupting my wife and me trying to get another poke in.

I stood up and and rather loudly exclaimed, "You're a real Michigan Man aren't you??? Interrupting a man and his wife just trying to enjoy their lunch, just so you can pound your chest about the future of your football team??? IFF ONLY WE COULD ALL BE LIKE YOU!"

He wrapped up his half eaten burrito and sauntered out of the restaurant while a few people around gave a clap and inquired about why someone would pester us like that?

"I was wearing an Ohio State shirt..."

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

But you forgot to tell them the *ichigan fan was an 11 year old boy. Context,its all about context.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+5 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Touche GPH. 

He was indeed, older than 11. Apparently was a true Michigan Man just home for summer break...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

But you forgot to tell them the *ichigan fan was an 11 year old boy.

Deep down, aren't they all?

Our Honor Defend!

+6 HS

Solid point. Even the ones a tad under 30 still wear their #2 Charles Woodson glory day jersey they have owned since 97' at a age that probably closely resembles 11.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

I ran into a few old guys (late 50's early 60's) at a sports bar/restaurant a few years back while the UM/UMass game was on (Rich Rod era). Was out to eat with my wife and catch a few minutes of the game that I had no real interest in. They started in on me, I played along for a bit but like yourself, they started interrupting our meal and conversation and began talking about vandalizing my car.

I had enough and told them something along the lines of "Why dont all 3 of you meet me in the parking lot since you want to take it that far?". That was the end of it. Same bar, almost came to blows over the game where Bobby Carpenter broke his leg and they were cheering like schoolgirls.

+1 HS
Habu71's picture

After living through a tough stretch (2-10-1) against them, and sometimes not even wanting to discuss The Game with their fans, there's a certain  confidence that I have now. One that doesn't force me to dig deep,  searching for a "shot" to take at them. Knowing that just the block O on my cap says enough to keep them at bay. Then, if that doesn't do it there's always this. Waiting to go into the stadium against Cal last season, a few non OSU fans decided to express their frustration over how Buckeye Nation had overun their town, stadium, etc. that day. Looking at me they said "well, you're gonna lose to *ichigan this year" I waited, keeping my gaze straight ahead, then yelled "OH". The thundering response of "IO" from literally hundreds of fans said all that needed to be said. I glanced at them and said nothing, they left immediately.

+3 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

There's a car that always parks in the same parking garage as me that has 4 or 5 UM stickers on it and a UM license plate cover. I got tired of walking past the car everyday and reading the words "Go Blue". So a couple weeks back I took a piece of paper and wrote 'Go Bucks, Michigan Sucks!' on it with a red Sharpie and placed it on the windshield and then I slashed his tires and keyed his car...

+8 HS
Hovenaut's picture

One of my buds from the Navy is from M...igan. He had a very keen interest in college football when we served in the early 90's.

I haven't heard from him in about a dozen years now.

He must not be following football so much anymore.

+5 HS
Habu71's picture

Amazing how that works Hov. 

+3 HS
Klytus21's picture

I was in Vegas for a buddy's wedding a few years ago.  Its probably 3:30 in the morning and we're walking thru the tunnels that connect the Excalibur to the Luxor and a guy in a scUM shirt is stumbling towards us shit-faced.  I ask him if he had the time and it took him about a minute to pull out his phone.  Of course he got the, "And *ichigan Still Sucks!"  He murmered, "You're and asshole," and stumbled on.    Still makes me laugh.

NJBuck

+4 HS
Tyler Durden's picture

I have one of my grandfathers old Manchester College baseball caps that I used to wear around quite frequently. The 'M' on the hat was very close to the Michigan 'm'. I ran into an old teacher who used to tout about how great his Michigan team was all the time (all I could do was take it. He was, after all, my teacher.) He saunters up to me and says something to the tone of becoming a real college football fan now. All I could do was say "this is a Manchester College hat. You can't even tell your own teams logo from this." Sure put him in his place real quickly.

+3 HS
sox33osu's picture

Went up there in 2003 during my freshman year of college with a girl I knew from home to visit some of her friends and one of my friends (he lived in Detroit so we hung out and watched the game together that day and then I headed to their campus later in the afternoon to meet up with the girls). Long story short, I hooked up with one of her friends' friends there and wound up cleaning up with some random scUM football t-shirt on the floor of the dorm (sidenote - their girls' dorms are frickin massive. It was like 4 chicks sleeping in a classroom). I wasn't sure who it belonged to, but it was someone's, and they liked scUM football. 

+1 HS
RKilbane20's picture

First time poster long time lurker.

I went on vacation a month ago for a wedding in Florida.  My plane was flying from Cleveland to Chicago on a connecting flight. Now I knew I was going to be in 3 airports that day, Chicago, Dallas, Fort Myers, so I wore one of my 20 buckeye t shirts that I pretty much cycle through everyday.  Here I am minding my own business when the flight attendant is on her way down to pass out drinks.  I was reading a book when she asks me what I would like to drink.  I look up and ask her what they have.  Then she saw my shirt and said "Oh your a Buckeye fan I can't serve you." I laugh it off as she hands the napkins to the people around her. She then turns around and looks at me again "You think I'm kidding? I'm not, ask the other flight attendant" She then goes on how she graduated from Michigan but not before she transferred from MSU to UM.  I said "oh i just graduated from OSU" Her response to me was "Good luck getting a job from that school" and "that I started this conversation by wearing the shirt" Now usually if this was a game day and I have been tailgating I probably would have gotten in an argument but my girlfriend was with me and she wasn't worth my time. All I said in a calm manner was "With your pathetic record against us the past 10 years I'm surprised you would even admit to be a michigan fan." She continued not to serve me and did realize later how pissed off I was with her and how unprofessional on her part it was so she came back later and tried to apologize.  I ignored her and said Im sure the airlines and or you supervisor will be hearing about this.  I sent an email to the airline and got a free round trip flight, not sure what happened to her. They were very apologetic in their response.

Class of '14 & '16

+12 HS
Hovenaut's picture

That's a fine a first post I've ever seen.

Welcome to the site (actively posting), RK!

+2 HS
Fatpants's picture

I know a lady that dropped out of Ohio State after two years because she got a flight attendant job. 

Looks like two years at Ohio State will get you the same job as a michigan diploma. 

+7 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

I think I've told this story before on here but I'll tell it again. A while back I was in a rental car (after a semi hit my car, that's another story though!) that had plates from that state. I went to pull into the gas station for the first time and out of instinct I pulled up where my gas was on my car, but in the rental it was on the other side. So after I turned around and pulled in the other way the attendant said to me "Is that how they teach you to drive up there?" I was laughing too hard to even explain myself to him.

Football is complicated...

+2 HS
southernstatesbuckeye's picture

I currently live in Charleston, South Carolina (am moving to DC this Friday for a new job!), and this actually happened last summer when I was still in Arkansas and visiting in South Carolina.  A couple of my buddies (Gamecock fans, but not jerks) were with me in Myrtle Beach on the boardwalk.  I had my Ohio State gear on, it was early evening, and a stumbling drunk Michigan man (he had a tee shirt on) saw me.

He started slurring out very loudly "Suckeyes! Suckeyes!" and pointing at me, laughing.  As he did so, he didn't realize he was backing into the boardwalk edge where the steps were.  I reached out to try to stop him (yes, I know, I know) from catapulting over the steps to the beach below, but he must have thought I was trying to grab him out of anger or frustration.  He pulled away violently and indeed tumbled down the steps, bouncing crazily until he landed in the sand at the bottom, dazed, but unhurt.

When we saw he was ok (strange how drunks can do all sorts of crap that would kill a sober guy and not get a scratch), my buddies started laughing hilariously.  I couldn't really think of anything clever to say, so I just leaned over the edge and asked, "Hey Michigan, you gonna be ok down there?"

All I got in return was a middle finger and a "fuck you!" as he staggered to his feet and wobbled away.

In retrospect, I think he basically represented the entirety of Wolverine Nation and its team...a bunch of stumbling drunkards.

+4 HS

dazed, but unhurt.

You misspelled ButtHurt.

+4 HS
Rob Reese's picture

A slightly intoxicated kid was brought into one of the county jails (which will remain nameless for reasons which will become obvious) that I sometimes do work for; proudly sporting his fresh Walverine gear and all smiles.

Despite being one of the first in that night, he was the last to get booked -- a 12 hour shift later.

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+4 HS
whiskeyjuice's picture

It's 6:28am in Lafayette, Louisiana and *ichigan STILL SUCKS!!!

"You'll find out that nothing that comes easy is worth a dime. As a matter of fact, I never saw a football player make a tackle with a smile on his face." -- Wayne Woodrow Hayes

+1 HS
StandAndFight's picture

Greeting, Buckeyes. First time poster here. I am a Michigan State Spartan, class of '76. I have a great friend whom I met when we served together in the USMC who is a Buckeye and we enjoy taking jabs at each other during football and basketball seasons. He has sent me links to articles and threads on 11W and I have enjoyed reading the blog ever since. It is a much more reasonable place than some other blogs I have visited. (hint, hint.)

I registered for 11W for the purpose of posting in this thread because I have a story about our common enemy that some of you may enjoy. A little background is necessary first. I live in Eden Prairie, MN and the local high school is the 500 pound gorilla in Minnesota high school football. Since 1996, EP has played in 10 or 11 state championship games and won 9 of them, including the last 3 in a row. Their coach is Mike Grant, son of Bud Grant and they usually send a player or two to play somewhere at an FBS school every year.

In the mid 90s, when this run of domination was first starting, EP had a QB named Jason Kapsner. He was 6'5" with a big arm, prototypical drop back passer, and he was heavily recruited by a number of D1 programs. He ultimately, to his eternal shame, decided to commit to the Ann Arbor Community College Sewer Rats. I will return to Jason Kapsner and his role in this story in a moment.

In 1995, an unranked Michigan State defeated the AACC Sewer Rats who I believe were at the time ranked in the top 10. At the time the Sewer Rats had a defensive lineman named Will Carr (no relation to Lloyd) who they also used as a fullback in short yardage situations. I believe he wore #96. After tasting defeat at the hands of the Spartans in the season of '95, Will Carr said in the locker room after the game that if AACC could play MSU again the following weekend, they would blow them out of the stadium. Of course, as everybody on 11W knows, the Sewer Rats never lost a game where they were not jobbed by the refs, screwed by the clock operator, just ran out of time, had a headache, were having their period, had RichRod as a coach, etc. But, as Connor Cook recently said, "That's Michigan." And at the time, it royally pissed me off.

Several months later, a blurb appeared in a column by a sportswriter for the Minneapolis paper noting that AACC coach Lloyd Carr would be in Eden Prairie later that week to watch his recruit Jason Kapsner play in a basketball game. It was at this point that I started to make a plan. The night of the basketball game arrived and I had to miss the first half because I was coaching my young son in wrestling at the time. But after wrestling practice I went home and put on a Michigan State sweatshirt and went to the basketball game for the second half. The stands were not very full and I picked out Lloyd Carr right away. He had a small posse of guys I didn't recognize sitting to his right but the entire row to his left was open. I climbed the bleachers and sat down right next to him, turned to him and said, "Are you Lloyd Carr?" He said, "Yes, I am." I gave him my name and offered a handshake. Then I said, "I dressed up for you tonight," and indicated the Michigan State script on the front of my shirt. He just smirked at me so I continued and asked, "Did Will Carr graduate or will he be back on your team next year?" Lloyd said that Will would be returning. I said, "Would you mind giving him a message for me?" At this point Lloyd's smile went away and a wary look came over his face. He said, "What's that?" I said, "Could you remind him of the date of the Michigan State game next season?" Lloyd really looked defensive at this point and said, "I don't follow you." I said, "Well, this past fall after Michigan State beat you, Will said that if you could play them again the next weekend, you'd blow them out of the stadium. Maybe you could tell him that the game is on November 2nd next season so he knows when to show up." At this point a guy in Lloyd's group who had heard this whole thing was laughing hysterically. I don't know if it was part of his AACC crew or of his Eden Prairie hosts, but the exchange had hit his funny bone. Lloyd, on the other hand was NOT amused. He scowled and glared daggers at me and snapped, "Maybe you should tell him yourself." At this point I could see I was no longer welcome and I bid him a good evening and took my leave.

As a postscript to this story, Jason Kapsner spent 4 years with the Sewer Rats but unfortunately for him his career overlapped those of Brian Griese, Drew Henning and Tom Brady. His career stats are 8 games played, 5 for 10 passing for 58 yards and 1 rush for -1 yards.

+4 HS

Hey man thats a solid story and took some real dedication on your part to pull off. Much appreciated.

+1 HS
StandAndFight's picture

Thanks. I've had friends who questioned the wisdom of my doing that but my response was that if you have a once in a lifetime opportunity to smite thine enemy and don't take it, you really don't have a hair on your hiney.

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Taking into consideration that you are not from AACC Sewer Rats as you put it, I'd like to thank you for joining in and telling a good story.  Humorous jabs are always welcome, exceptionally so at their expense.  Hope you continue to come back here. Due to the time of night, I'll be kind and not sing my favorite song about TSUN.

Cheers!

Go Bucks!

+1 HS
StandAndFight's picture

Does that song begin with "Hail to the (13 letter expletive)?

+2 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Don't Give a Damn 'bout the whole State of _ichigan!

Go Bucks!

Rob Reese's picture

1.  Welcome.

2.  Great story.  Anything that ends with a Lloyd scowl is worth the price of admission.

He has sent me links to articles and threads on 11W and I have enjoyed reading the blog ever since. It is a much more reasonable place than some other blogs I have visited.

3.  I concur.  11 Warriors does it right. 

"All I have known at Michigan is failure.  That's all I know." - Taylor Lewan

+1 HS