College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Mid-majors to spring?

hetuck's picture
July 20, 2014 at 12:32pm
26 Comments

Spirited discussion on XMSirius the past two days about a suggestion made by June Jones on Dallas radio. He suggested the mid-majors play their own season in the spring. It could include their own TV deals and an eight-team playoff. It would also mean the Power Five only play each other. Army-Navy on Memorial Day?

Groveport Heisman's picture

Might work. I know I and a lot of people would thoroughly enjoy if only power 5 played within the 5.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

So stupid. Some 'mid majors' are better programs than programs in 'Power Five' conferences. Im not sure what the purpose is. Mid majors beat 'Power Five' teams more often than people think and to effectively exclude them and place them in some sort of D-1 FBS II serves nothing. 

+6 HS
hetuck's picture

On Saturdays when OSU plays, how many MAC teams sell out? I would go to a MAC game on a nice April-May Saturday or at least watch on TV because I'd be football hungry. Now I ignore them. It's an extension of playing on Tuesday night. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+9 HS
logamaniac's picture

for me they would still have to present a product worth watching.  just because its football doesn't mean it will hold my attention if its played horribly.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

I wouldn't go to a Miami of Ohio v.s. Ball State game any day of the year. College Football is about playing the fall, its a tradition and a part of attending a university/college. Bit silly to think that moving the games to the spring will lead to sell outs for programs that no one cares about during the year anyway. 

+1 HS

But if you lived ten minutes from Miami's beautiful little stadium as I do,and can get basically sideline tickets for ten bucks a pop and had a chance to watch Big Ben take on Nate Davis you might just be inclined to attend. Some of us enjoy watching high school football as long as its good football.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
Ashtabula's picture

I miss Oxford so much. Tremendous college town!

+1 HS
beamga's picture

It's a great place to go to school.  I have faith that Coach Martin can turn it around.

+1 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

Miami is not the Big Ben Miami it was for a season, its really a down in the dumps program, whereas Ohio U and NIU seem to be running the MACtion. I don't think it'd be fair to teams like NIU who have made BCS bowls and even Kent State coming so close a couple years ago to be subjected to playing in some second tier season just to appease fans of schools that are a part of the 'Power Five'. I'd take the NIU of the last couple years over the likes of Kentucky, who is in the SEC, or of similar low-level to crap-level quality, and that NIU team would have to play in the spring and never get a chance to win the national title. Moving the 'mid-majors' to spring would rule them out of the national championship and that would make the FBS title even more of a sham than it already will be as you are limiting the field even more. Also, theres no more money for the mid majors to make when they play 'Power Five' teams, which helps fund a ton of other things outside of football for that school. Its a stupid idea. If fans of 'Power Five' schools are bored in the spring time, become a baseball fan or take up a hobby to pass the time. 

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I'm not a fan. As stated above, there are plenty of mid-major teams that compete with and, oftentimes, are better than some "Power Five" teams. Also, in the era of conference expansion, how is a "mid-major" team expected to perform its way into one of the more prestigious "Power Five," if there is no direct competition or comparison? Furthermore, how many of these mid-major teams have Spring sports that are actually just as big if not bigger than their football, in which case they could lose support for one or more team by throwing another wrench into the mix? We may want this because we want football 24/7, but many of these schools may just use football as their way of wasting time until lacrosse, or baseball, or whatever Spring sports there are (not very fluent in that area). All-in-all, IMO, this is not the answer to anything and would just generate more problems.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+2 HS

When the power 5 unites and draws up their own rules which include providing more to the players,and I expect it to happen soon. The mid-majors will take another significant drop off in talent because they will not be able to financially afford to keep up. They will still field some decent teams here and there but I wouldnt expect any Boise st. type of teams if they are not able at least keep the student athlete extra benefits close to the  power 5. Sure its a long way off and I'm not sure why they would even have to play their season in spring.But I do see in the future power 5 eliminating scheduling all D-2 teams and I would love to see a 65-70 team division where you play within each other. Would make for some damn good football and force big schools to play the other powers and we would get a much better gauge on just how good everyone is.

Buckeye Rocket Sci's picture

I agree that it will make for more interesting football and will happen someday. I have nothing against the move to a new division, as you mentioned. I just don't see how moving the mid majors to the spring will necessarily help them. If it were to happen, it would have to be by their own accord if they find that it would benefit them financially, which it may or may not depending on their other Spring sports. Division II schools aren't playing in the Spring, so why would the mid majors?

I think a truly great way for great football would be a European soccer-esque system that would see the Power 5 only playing other Power 5 while annually the weakest of the Power 5 drop to the mid-major division while the strongest mid-majors move up. This will ensure the best football is played and keep interest in the mid-majors as they fight for a shot at the big dogs.

"Nothing in the world can take the place of persistence" - Calvin Coolidge

+1 HS

That would be awesome as hell. Imagine *ichigan dropping down to D-2 for a season while Toledo got to move into their spot for a year. Just the thought of picturing that happening some day brings a big smile even though I know they would never sign off on such a thing.

+1 HS
exnwohiobuckfan's picture

When the power 5 get their own thing
With added benefits for their athletes, there could be a lot of transferring from the smaller schools when guys who were overlooked blow up in the small schools, making the small schools even less competitive.

+1 HS
NC_Buckeye's picture

There's no way Khalil Mack stays at Buffalo in this hypothetical segregation of cfb. More than the additional benefits, staying behind would probably limit professional opportunities.

No one's going to do that if getting into the NFL is your goal.

+2 HS
osu407's picture

Chris Childers is a good guy. Last year when every "expert" wanted to drop OSU after every week despite us winning, he stood up for us and said we were under rated.

I like this idea because as much as OSU is now and always will be my only true allegiance, spring football gives me the opportunity to enjoy watching games and root for another team other than the buckeyes without shame.  

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

This would mean that Appalachian State could never again win in Ann Arbor (whore).

BroJim's picture

Yeah, I like the upsets too much.

I season my simple food with hunger

EDUGOON's picture

Plum Stupid!!! What about the kid's like Kahili Mack or the Tackle from Western Michigan who went #1 a few years ago. They don't get drafted without having the chance to play against the power 5 teams. We all know what Mack's play vs tOSU did for his draft stock!!!. As well as those kids would have to play up to the draft and then get ready for the Combine or workouts in a matter of weeks!!! Stupid!

"We Don't Believe You, You Need More People"- Hova #GOBUCKS #FreeElGuapo #Famthik

-1 HS
hetuck's picture

I'd liken it to college baseball where the draft occurs during the season. That is a down side, to be sure, but I think the potential to shine without the glare of Power Five and NFL would be worth it. Imagine ESPN/Fox sports/NBC Sports, et al showing football instead of poker or softball. Better Saturday Game of the Week on ESPN than late night Sports Time Ohio. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

Knarcisi's picture

Football in the spring?  Absolutely the dumbest thing I've ever heard. 

-1 HS
rdubs's picture

I would prefer an exhibition series of games for all teams.  Maybe a 7 on 7 tournament for underclassmen.  But imagine how much it would help the depth of all of the teams if they got a chance to play their 2nd and 3rd teamers a bunch over the spring.  Happens in high school so why not college.

OnlyOne's picture

This power 5 nonsence will ruin college football.  I rarely watch NFL games, not enough innovation.  One game looks like any other game.  And l hate crap like the Super Bowl half time show. Rather watch a high school marching band. With power 5 it will be all about corporations.   Power 5 will become NFL Jr.  Sorry, maybe I'm too old fashioned.  I hope some major player says this is getting out of hand and others rethink.     

+1 HS
OnlyOne's picture

Hey Mr. Jones I got an idea.  Only power 5 are allowed to have fireworks shows!  Sorry mid-majors you only get to play football.

BucksFan2000's picture

I don't like the Spring idea, but there should be a separation.  Why not make a mid-major championship?  Only the power 5 teams are going to get the 4 playoff spots anyway, so instead of just bowls for everyone else, why not a 4 team mid-major championship?

Then conferences like the MAC have something to legitimately shoot for - other then trying to get a BCS bid against a team with 20 times the resources.  And I'd think more people would watch a mid-major championship/playoff than just some random bowl games.

I'm a MAC grad.  There have been some pretty good teams over the past 10-15 years in the conference, but nothing that could seriously challenge the top teams from the B1G, SEC, etc.

+1 HS
Bags5150's picture

Not a fan.  College football IS fall.  Nothing like it, good football or bad football.  Not to mention completely screwing up reporting and recruiting of kids.  Just don't see any viable way it would work, let alone have people watch it.

Everyone has a plan until they get punched in the mouth~Mike Tyson