College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Outsider view on OSU

MikeEagleBuckeye's picture
July 15, 2014 at 10:46am
70 Comments
Furious George 27's picture

OSU fans watch michigan games because we all know that there is a good chance they will lose.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

+18 HS
TheShookster's picture

I can honestly say I watched just about every Michigan game this year, because cheering against them is one of the few things I can truly emotionally invest in besides cheering FOR the beloved buckeyes. And I wanted to try and get a feel for how they would play against Ohio State at the end of the year, but that turned out to be a total waste considering they threw out the playbook and did everything differently.

LouGroza's picture

Not meant as a knock on you or posting this but this is just one guys take. You can go to any one individual with the same living situation and get a different one. You can feel the guys allegiance as you read it. It reads just like any TUN fan would write, while clearly showing which team they prefer. Can't help but love the all-knowing tun fan.

+4 HS
John Brandon's picture

As a guy that spent most of my childhood and adolescence growing up in Michigan, I agree with the author's first point to an extent, now hear me out. Overlooking the article's obvious flaws and homerism, what he says about the asymmetric nature of the rivalry is somewhat true, but I think it's a product of the times. Around 10 years ago when I was a middle-schooler, the rivalry was pretty intense - especially if Michigan was having a good season. Most of my friends were big Michigan fans and we got in arguments and I took a lot of grief in the fall. Once Michigan started declining, so did the fan's interest. My generation doesn't have as many diehard Michigan fans to tell you the truth (getting hammered by your rivals does that I guess). Now, I still would root for Michigan to lose every game, but were my friends even watching Ohio State, let alone actively rooting against them? Not a chance. If the Buckeyes ever lost, I heard about it, but that was about it. The difference between Ohio State and Michigan's campuses is night and day.

I went to the Michigan game this year with my friend who's on the swim team there and, even wearing all scarlet and gray, I didn't hear much from the Michigan students at all. If a Michigan fan wore maize and blue and showed their face in Ohio State's student section they'd probably get thrown out, but that wasn't the case at Michigan at all for me.

So what's the point? I'm not really sure. The article isn't much more than a guy venting  and trying to feel better about Michigan's miseries, but yeah, Michigan's fan base isn't the same as it was 10 years ago. If they win a big game they come out of the closets, but there's a lot more buzz around the Spartan program up there now-a-days, and I don't see that changing any time soon.

KB3RG's picture

I see his points yes. I also understand that OSU did not win the conference last year and the year before was on probation...IF OSU was not out of it for the 2012 season OSU would have played ND and not Bama.

This OSU team should handle the teams in the B1G and win the next level in the new playoffs. B1G football hasn't been beating the SEC, OSU is trying to bring in elite SEC like talent and compete with them...Maybe Michigan fans should worry about the OL, their head coach and fixing the pot holes before trying to make something of OSU and not having another rival. Its not OSU's problem that other teams have not stepped up recently(maybe MSU is building to be a small rival)

Has anyone on here called the Buckeyes the Deep South Buckeyes? I have not even heard this term before

+7 HS
BuckeyeQ6's picture

I"ve never heard of "Deep South Buckeyes" either.

+12 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Same here. That is the first time I have ever heard of it. But hey, his myopic view says it's so and we must believe him!

+7 HS
Buckeyeneer's picture

Somebody trying to coin a phrase, me thinks.

Try harder, Homer.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

OSUStu's picture

Deep South Buckeyes

I don't get it.  It isn't even a creative or clever insult.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+2 HS
trigg03's picture

This is the first time I have heard "deep south Buckeyes". My guess is dude made that up in an attempt to make his story believable. I will say though as far as I'm concerned - the hatred I have for ttun is by far an all year thing - it never rests & while I dis-like ND or USC & the SEC...I don't hate them like I hate scUM.

+1 HS
BuckeyeQ6's picture

When you put it all together there’s a clear reason why the Ohio State football team earned nicknamed the Deep South Buckeyes (a nickname that some Buckeye fans have unashamedly embraced.)

Who are these Buckeye fans who have "unashamedly embraced" this nickname no one has ever heard of?

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I have not heard of the "Deep South Buckeyes," but I have to admit, I kind of like it.

OnlyOne's picture

Hell Fffing NO!  

11UrbzAndSpices's picture

Interesting take, first thing was the jab that OSU bribes athletes with iPads, as if it was a secret that our athletic programs lets students have them, and borrow them if I remember correctly, not keep them. Then there's this:

When you put it all together there’s a clear reason why the Ohio State football team earned nicknamed the Deep South Buckeyes (a nickname that some Buckeye fans have unashamedly embraced.)

Uh...what? Bad grammar is one thing, but who in the hell calls us that?

+6 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Never heard "Deep South Buckeyes".  Made up term by the "Deep Sixed Wolverines".

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+11 HS

David • 16 hours ago

I'm a Michigan fan living in Columbus, and these people belong in the South. When all you have is one team to get drunk and root for, you get pretty obnoxious.

Yeah, just the one team... The Columbus Crewjacketclipmachines

+6 HS
mh277907's picture

So what that guy is saying is that he would be more passionate about UM if MSU didn't exist? That's like saying I would be more of a Browns fan if the Bengals didn't exist. I think the exact opposite is true.

buckeyebobcat

+2 HS
BuckeyeQ6's picture

I think this author is right on both counts.  I think many fans are focussing more on SEC/Bama for several reasons: (1) OSU's unprecedented success ove TTUN since 2001 and TTUN's fall into mediocrity has caused OSU fans to take a victory as a given, (2) the SEC's recent dominance over the B1G, college football in general, and OSU (2006-2007), and (3) the national media narrative that OSU is not elite like the SEC.

Even more than the author notes, we're focussed more on MSU this year than TTUN.  I think our focus is more on MSU and the SEC this year because our aspirations are for a national championship and these are the toughest teams standing in our way.

That is NOT to say that we'd rather lose to TTUN than MSU or the SEC.  This question would be much more divided: whether we prefer national respect or beating our rival.  As much as we take beating TTUN as a given, losing to them would be devastating.  Just remember your thoughts when they went for 2 last year.  Mine were: OH NO, THEY COULD ACTUALLY BEAT US RIGHT HERE!

+3 HS

I thought, "oh sweet, we're going to win."

-1 HS
Crumb's picture

I got two words for any Buckeye fan who takes beating that team up north for granted; John Cooper.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

mh277907's picture

I have noticed this narrative brewing from up north for quite a few years now. They try to act like they really don't care and in turn it makes us look like a bunch of crazies because we care so much (yes, I am aware that our fanbase has plenty of crazies). I head up to Michigan every year for Thanksgiving and spend an entire day with Michigan fans. Back in the 90's, when The Game was before Thanksgiving, I was welcomed with all sorts of trash talk and Maize and Blue. Hell, I was even greeted with an MSU flag the year OSU beat UM but lost to MSU. The level of hatred was, or at least seemed, quite equal when they were beating our ass. Now, when I try to watch The Game in front of my family members from Michigan, I am met with "wow, you guys really care about this stuff, don't you?"

I understand that our level of hatred for UM is probably more than the hatred they have for us. Especially because we only have one rival and they have to share the wealth with MSU but as long as they keep acting like they don't care as much as we do, the longer they will stay in mediocrity. And I am cool with that.

buckeyebobcat

+8 HS
Byaaaahhh's picture

In order to have the greatest rivalry in all of college sports, both sides need to hate. If *ichigan is in such a state that they barely care, the the rivalry is dead because *ichigan football is dead.

Buckeyeneer's picture

It's a coping mechanism. Its easier on the psyche to not care when you suck. What a bunch of fair-weather fans. These are the same people who were probably brutal in the 90s.

"Because the rules won't let you go for three." - Woody Hayes
THE Ohio State University

+1 HS
KB3RG's picture

I can make up nicknames too

Deep Fried Wolverines
Armpit Weasels  
Obsessed with little Brother
The Mighty Sun and Blue

+4 HS
MichaelJ721984's picture

I just like to call em the bitches...

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

For the last four years I have lived in Ohio. As that fact sinks in, let me add that I never received an Ohio driver’s license

So the guy is a law-breaker and a jackass.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+9 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

Too bad its not in paper form

+2 HS
Mr. Bungle's picture

This is an obvious hit-piece on Urbs and Buckeye fans in general.  So Michigan dude is positing that we want the win more?  We hate more?  I would argue the exact opposite.  UM has been and will continue to be in disarray.  The rivalry is not as strong from both sides because of our consistent dominance over the past several years and the meltdown of a once dominant program. 

+1 HS
Texasbucksfan's picture

I think this illustrates the difference in our philosophy.   TSUN is focused on Michigan State and wining the B1G.  Of course Meyer wants to win the Big 10 and beat TSUN but his aspirations are much greater.    I am sure that he believes if he builds a national championship caliber team, he naturally takes care of business in the B1G.      We don't just want to win our conference, but national championship(s).   I am sure that comes across to recruits.

+2 HS
causeicouldntgo43's picture

The definition of sanctimonious involves making a big show about how you are better or morally superior to others. The case can be made that this definition could apply to those TTUN fans who feel that things such as allowing OSU's football players access to ipads (so they can study x's and o's) is somehow akin to providing SEC-style bagman paydays. 

Let's face it, they are holding on to, arguably, all they've got at this point to make themselves feel better. Namely, we "do it the right way", "we don't cheat like those nasty Deep South Buckeyes", we run a "family values style program", we are "upholding all the glorious and cherished traditions" of college football. This is how you justify your lack of success.

My TTUN friends, almost none of them, can admit Brady Hoke is not the answer to Lloyd's fall off near the end of his career, or the RichRod experiment. Only a better caliber head coach will cure their ills.

+3 HS
OSUStu's picture

Even the general premise of the article is pretty sanctimonious.  It pretty much boils down to: "Ohio State is lame for caring too much about Michigan."

+3 HS
DaveStephens's picture

At this point, it may take more than that, i.e. new AD.

The Dude abides.

+1 HS
buckeyedexter's picture

I agree with most of what he's saying.  To be the best you have to beat the best, so why not be chasing teams that win national championships instead of teams that go 7-6.  The last decade or so it's mostly been the Alabama/SEC, before that it was USC, before that maybe Miami/Florida St.

But where did he get Deep South Buckeye?  I never heard that and I read Ohio State stuff everyday; I think he just made that up.

+2 HS
sharks's picture

What a maroon.

'OSU fans care more about UM than vice versa.'

'OSU fans care about the SEC, not UM.'

The postgame show is brought to you by... Christ, I can't find it. The hell with it...

+8 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Quality journalism right there, folks.

LEBRON

J.Mo's picture

This guy is partially right... we are looking at the SEC and 'Bama in particular as a measuring stick. Ohio State wants to be the best and - I feel like a professional wrestler saying this - to be the best you have to beat the best. Beating a team that lost to Toledo, Appalachian State, etc. is not how you prove you're the best.

But Ohio State fans hating M*ch*g*n more than M*ch*g*n fans hating Ohio State is entirely untrue. I was born and raised in Toledo, Ohio. Toledo is split 45/45/10 between Ohio State, M*ch*g*n, and other. Living there I also spent time in that state up north. I know a ton of M*ch*g*n fans and hell I'm friends with a lot of them as well. They're good people and they're no different than we are in terms of their love for their team and the hatred they have for their rivals (only difference I guess Ohio State fans root for a great university with an exceptional football team).

You hear all their horror stories about traveling to the 'Shoe - I've been to The Game every time it's been at the 'Shoe since 2000 ('00, '02, '04, '06, '08, '10, and '12) so that is 7 games. I have never witnessed anything terrible... the worst I saw was the typical verbal boos or "F*** M*ch*g*n" or maybe a personal insult (all stuff I've experienced myself when I went to The Game in Ann Arbor in '07 and '09). These bags of piss, batteries, fights, whatever crap they're coming up with - never witnessed it and I would say I have a large sample size to compare it to. And I don't isolate myself on Gamedays - I've been all over campus, all over tailgating areas, all over the Stadium, and around Columbus post-game. There are probably isolated incidents where some fans took things a little too far but you'll have that with those fans in Ann Arbor as well.

+5 HS
luckynutz's picture

How can they take the moral high ground on actions that take place the day of The Game. Unless I missed it, Ive never heard of one of our teams captains assaulting their fans post game in Columbus. Or at all. You go ahead and condemn the actions of some drunk fans who may take things a little far. That is far less representative of the team and university than having one of your players throwing haymakers at our fans, wouldnt you say?

+2 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

Never heard Deep South Buckeyes....perhaps Matt Millen needs to teach him how to make up a nickname,Buckaroos.

UFM_Renewal

+3 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

Like most _ichigan fans - what a blowhard! 

Go Bucks!

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

I care so little that I need write an article to tell the world how little I care

In other mind blowing news, the mammalian Anteater eats ants.

+4 HS
BuckNKY's picture

Some (including me) have wondered in recent years whether Ohio State fans would rather beat Michigan ten years in a row or the SEC ten years in a row.

And I say, why set the bar low.  I want both! 

+3 HS
iamcbs's picture

The writer of this article is getting exactly the type of reaction he was seeking when he wrote it, who the hell has ever heard of the term "Deep-South Buckeyes?" Of course the tOSU is chasing the SEC, they'd won 7 of the last 8 NC's. When your ultimate goal is a Championship, why would you be chasing a team you've dominated for a decade? OSU/Michigan is widely acknowledged as the 'greatest rivalry in sports' so yes the hatred is there on our part. If it's not on the side of TTUN, that's there problem. 

I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep, I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion~Alexander the Great

+3 HS
Buckeye On Elba's picture

First time commenting, but a long time reader. Hopefully all goes well. Anyway, a couple things from reading this article that struck me:

1) As someone said above, this is the classic Wolverine rhetoric I hear all the time from my friends who went to UM. Buckeyes are classless, cheats, have no other interests or rivalries, etc. Most of them aren't worth the time to rebuke, nor are they really all that insulting to me. 

2) As for the focus on the SEC, that is a bit concerning to me, not because I think we're losing focus as a fanbase, but because I get a sense of alienation from the B1G in general. With the recent success in recruiting, against Michigan, and, until the end of last season, on the field, the B1G matchups often don't really excite me. Sure, we may drop a game to MSU or Wisconsin now and then, and I would and do hate that, but we are consistently picked by nearly all sources to win each of those games. I wonder if that doesn't create unrealistic expectations and remove the joy from winning, even if just a little bit, when we do win those games in the conference schedule. When you consistently win, and, for right or wrong, begin to feel a step above the rest of the conference, it's easy for the fanbase to begin to shift its gaze to other opponents. Right or wrong, my desire to beat the SEC or other top teams (FSU, Stanford, Oregon, OU) is probably on par with my desire to see the Buckeyes curbstomp our old rivals up north. 

I guess my concern is that we may be getting ourselves into a Texas-type situation where, for right or wrong, we see ourselves on a different level, and that eventually comes back to haunt us in the conference and on the field. Just a thought, and hopefully not too offensive. Go Bucks and I look forward to interacting with you guys.

Quick edit: I guess I should also say that a lot of my feelings of ambivalence toward the B1G might go away if some of the teams step up and win their OOC games this year. That would probably make everyone feel better, in general, about our schedule and the matchups it provides during conference.

+12 HS
OSU_1992_UFM's picture

You need to comment more

UFM_Renewal

+2 HS
Buckeye On Elba's picture

Thanks, man. I don't know why I decided now was the time. But that thought of becoming Texas was terrifying to me. As things ramp up toward the season (and I get through the bar exam in a couple weeks) I hope to contribute more. Thanks for this.

+1 HS
buckeyedude's picture

I guess I should also say that a lot of my feelings of ambivalence toward the B1G might go away if some of the teams step up and win their OOC games this year.

Yeah, but doesn't TTUN have Appalachian State and/or Toledo on their schedule this year? You might be asking a bit much, Buckeye On Elba.

apack614's picture

He has some good points but the whole beat the SEC 10 times in a row than _ichigan 10 times in row is wrong. We want to beat Bama so bad in the National Championship, we want to beat Auburn in the National Championship, LSU, Florida etc. it doesnt have to do with the SEC its the fact that the SEC are the only ones playing for the title and we want to challenge them. That is the point I'm sure every Buckeye you talked to late last year would say we want to beat Florida State? It's not the SEC or the ACC or the PAC-12 it's the number 1 team in the National Championship that The Ohio State Buckeyes are going to beat.

"If we worked half as hard as our band, we'd be champions." - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

We want to beat Bama so bad in the National Championship, we want to beat Auburn in the National Championship, LSU, Florida etc. it doesnt have to do with the SEC its the fact that the SEC are the only ones playing for the title and we want to challenge them. 

Truth^ 

OnceaBuckeye's picture

Since I live in North Carolina now, does that make me a "Deep South Buckeye" or do I need to move to Alabama for that?

And when we win the game we'll buy a keg of brew

+3 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

I thought that would make you a ginseng snatching bootleg sipping Appalachian Buckeye.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+3 HS
OnceaBuckeye's picture

Thanks for the clarification!

And when we win the game we'll buy a keg of brew

+1 HS
NCBuckeye2011's picture

Let's get the author's take. Maybe because he doesn't hate us as much as we hate him, he'll  graciously allow us to be "middle south buckeyes" ?

+1 HS
IH8UOFM's picture

lol @ the serial downvotes. Me thinks MMan is out for revenge.

Rob Reese's picture

Instantly lost any fingernail's grasp of credibility he might have had with the "Deep South Buckeyes" stuff.  No such term, idiom or whatever you want to call it.  It's simply conjured from the bloggers own mind.  It's no more real than us referring to them as "The Bankrupt Detroit Walverines".  

+1 HS
Rob Reese's picture

The premise of this whole "we hate them, more than they hate us" the blogger is trying to sell is pure rubbish.  

Remember when the story broke here this past winter of Lewan and the pending investigation into his *alleged* assault on fans who just happened to be wearing the wrong school colors that fateful night in A2 last season?  MGO posters went so far as to have "a doctor dewd who is a friend of a friend" question the authenticity of the University of Michigan Medical Center's own diagnosis on one of the assault victims. Collectively, they *rejected* the diagnosis lol. 

They hate us so much, that they questioned *evidence* from one of their very own!

On a more anecdotal and personal note, I was up in Toledo the weekend after LOI day in 2013 for a party and of course tuned into The Ticket 97.1 out of scuzzy Detroit (I think) and every single caller that night wasn't calling to celebrate or talk about a great Michigan recruiting class they just scored, no sir, they were calling to piss and moan about Ohio State beating them in the overall class ranking, and how Urban had to have somehow cheated to do so, or that the system was "in favor of OSU", and demands for NCAA investigations and sanctions. I swear I thought some were considering a march to the streets with pitch forks and torches, looking for blood to spill. They were livid, enraged, and you could hear the frothing in their mouths as they tried in vain to not trip over their own words as they rattled off some weird dialect of English.

We hate them more than they hate us is pure fantasy.  They're obsessed with the Scarlet and Gray, everyday.  

+2 HS
Tyler Durden's picture

Never heard of "Deep South Buckeye" but i'd rather be that than a program trying to sell seats with fireworks.

Seattle Linga's picture

Saw Wayne live last year - and he's a genius beyond imagination. His whole show is made up on the spot. 

-1 HS
Brutus's picture

I just googled "deep south buckeye".  Yep, that's not a thing.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

Author needs to watch this  clip then get back to us.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+4 HS
OSUStu's picture

Man, Ohio State puts the pussy on the chainwax

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Clearly our record shows that we have hated them more. 

+4 HS
Nick_Satan's picture

Not knocking the guys opinion but when i think of an "outsiders view " I think of someone who would have have no biased whatsoever  like lets say some guy from Washington State who could give a shit less about Ohio State.That what an "outsider"
 is to me.

I always Hated .gifs and I said what they hell if you can't beat em join em.

+4 HS
Crumb's picture

We hate them more? We want to beat them more? Dang straight we do! That's why we have been beating them more as of late. When Coop was losing to them in the 90's he tried to play it cool like it didn't matter, and that made it worse, that's what this dude is doing and I hope it keeps bringing the same results. That's right wolverats, don't hate us, don't want to beat us, don't want to be the best, then you'll stay in the cellar and we'll continue to strive to be champions. To be winners.

"The only good thing about it is winning the d*** thing" - Urban Meyer on The Game The War

+2 HS
Deano's picture

I think the "we don't care as much as you do" rhetoric stays fresh because it hurts the most (at least to me).

They can claim superiority/dominance all time (look at teh Record bookz!) but anybody with perspective knows that it's been 0.500 since the Great Depression.  They also know that if they don't figure out how to play organized tackle football again, they might blow the 20 game lead they built up in the Yost days altogether.

They can claim that their nearest comparable institution is Harvard and ours is the University of Phoenix.  If they've bothered to pay attention, they know that the gap had narrowed.  Even if they believe it, I don't care.  It's rubbish.

The "we don't cheat; they do" / "we have honor students; they have criminals" doesn't bother me.  Frankly, I don't believe for a second that either of our programs is clean.

That "they don't care" about this rivalry irks me.  I have to give it at least some credence.  When I was there last year and saw the back 20% of their student section empty at kickoff, I can't outright reject the notion of apathy.  I know that I'm involved (against my will) in a one-sided "rivalry" (OSU vs. PSU) where I say I don't really care, and I mean it, so it certainly is a thing.   

The author of this article cares.  The posters on MGo care.  Their posters here certainly care.  That doesn't mean that the run-of-the-mill wolverine does.  For them to be so apathetic to something that is so central to my identity bothers me.  And that, in and of itself, is at least one reason why the rhetoric will never die.

+2 HS
buckeyedude's picture

TTUN fans can claim the overall series record which includes leather helmets, but with OSU's present trajectory vs. them, soon they won't be able to claim that either. Then all Ann Arbor will have is it's Hash Bash.

+2 HS
BigZ's picture

The state of Michigan football recently has allowed apathy to seep into the fan base. The only reason they can claim that the MSU rivalry is on par with ours is that generally when they play MSU their season hasnt been ruined yet. By the time we play, their fan base has no fire left.

ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

Deep South Buckeyes

Huh?

A lot of what is in this article is true.  The SEC has produced a bunch of champions recently.  I'd say we're chasing the best of the SEC, because believe it or not, not every team in the SEC is good, contrary to what some people would have you believe.  The best of the SEC is primarily Alabama...other teams in that league come and go.

As far as TTUN fans not hating us as much as we hate them...well...I've noticed that.  My best friend is a TTUN fan.  I take a lot more shots at TTUN than he takes at OSU.  TTUN/MSU seems to be a bigger rivalry than OSU/PSU, so maybe that plays a factor.  Recent track record and culture may also play a role (though I'm not sure that TTUN fans culturally are that much different than OSU fans).  I would think getting owned by a rival would only make you hate them more - so you would think TTUN fans would hate OSU more and more.  But then they'd hate MSU more and more since MSU has owned them over the last 6 years as well.  It's hard to put a finger on why the hatred may not be equivalent on both sides.

Class of 2010.