College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Definition of Show Cause Penalty?

Max Power's picture
June 16, 2014 at 7:30pm
5 Comments

A debate at work left me a little stumped. We were talking about the ramifications of TatGate which led us to the discussion of the show cause penalty. I have heard the term many times and thought that I had a general understanding but my coworker had a differwnt explanation. I thought, for example, if a coach is issued a 3 year show cause penalty then any prospective employers would absorb said coach's punishment (NCAA sanctions) for the remaining years of the penalty. This DOES NOT mean that the coach cannot be employed by another school, just a means of making it harder for the coach to obtain employment until the punishment has concluded. I.E. HE/She cannot leave a school under sanctions and jump ship to another program without having the punishment follow the coach. Can anyone help clarify? My coworker claims that the coach cannot be employed during the show cause which I am pretty certain is false. A Google search didnt help out much so I figured I would get a better explanation here. Thanks in advance

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The penalties follow the coach to the new school unless said school sends a representative in front of the NCAA infractions committee to plead it's case as to why the penalties should not apply (ie show cause).

It's a little more involved but that is the gist of things.

+1 HS
Max Power's picture

Thanks for the reply. So if Tressel would have been hired by, say Pitt, would Pitt face a one year bowl ban and scholly reductions as well? And would the sanctions start at day 1 or at the present time?

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

No. Those were penalties levied against the University, they don't transfer. The only penalties that follow the coach are the ones levied against him specifically.

In Coach Tressel's case that means he would have had to sit out the first five games & any post season appearances (ie conference championship or bowl) in his first season at a new school.

+1 HS
OneOfOver475000's picture

If the school wishes to avoid the NCAA penalties imposed on that coach, the college must send representatives to appear before the NCAA's Committee on Infractions, and "show cause" (i.e., evidence) as to why it should not be penalized along with (i.e., for hiring) that coach.[1] The penalty is intended to prevent a coach from escaping violations that he/she had a role in committing or allowing -- which are generally applied to the school (e.g., lost scholarships, forfeited wins) -- by merely resigning and taking a coaching job at another, un-penalized school. It is currently the most severe penalty that can be brought against a U.S. college sports coach.

Taken from Wiki, assuming a school hires a coach with a "Show cause" looming.

+1 HS
Crimson's picture

The coach can be hired elsewhere, as long as the NCAA allows it.  I don't think penalties (i.e. bowl bans, scholarship reduction, etc.) necessarily follow, but this quote states that they could.