College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

SIAP: James Franklin Stays True To His Word

305Buck's picture
June 14, 2014 at 4:12pm
39 Comments

A month ago, it was reported that Franklin said some scholarship players were not going to make the camp roster, and he pulled them in his office one by one and told them, and he "hoped" they wouldn't leave the program.

http://pennstate.247sports.com/Board/18/Contents/Penn-State-confirms-roster-changes-29130434

IF Urbs would have said that, or did this, all hell would have broke loose. ESPN would be trying to get interviews with every player that was basically kicked off the team to get dirt on Ohio State or Meyer.

I think it's sad and heartless what Franklin is doing, these are the kids who chose Penn State, and stuck with Penn State through its darkest hour.

jaxbuckeye's picture

Agreed  What a joke

+7 HS
305Buck's picture

This is what Franklin said about this last month when he first reported that some scholarship players wouldn't make the roster.

“It is difficult, and some of them have been upset about it, and that’s a good thing. I think they should be upset because that shows how much passion they have about it and how important it is.’’

What a douche.

+3 HS
Jrclark14's picture

Qb was a walk on who wanted to play for his dad at umass, ol was kicked off the team because of criminal issues, one wr was never going to play and knew that so he is leaving to go to a smaller school. Only richie Anderson at wr was a surprise as he would have played if not started. Pretty normal to see when a new coach comes in really. 

-2 HS
305Buck's picture

Why did Franklin mention that most of the players he told were upset if it's as cut and dry as you are trying to make it seem?

Jrclark14's picture

If it were after the season and they were clearing space for new recruits I'd agree but why do it before the season if it was shady? We already are short bodies, especially on the o line. New coach comes in and some players don't hit it off with them or don't like the new schemes and see more opurtunity going elsewhere. I'm sure osu has had players leave for similar reasons. You can not like psu and not like James franklin but I don't think this is the reason why. 

-8 HS
305Buck's picture

The only team in the B1G that I dislike is TSUN. I have no problems with Penn State but this is extremely shady. As I mentioned, the kids wouldn't be upset if they were willing to leave. Franklin clearly stated "I pulled them in my office one by one and told them that they weren't going to make the camp roster, and I hope none of them decide to leave the program." Really, you think scholarship players who are told they weren't going to make the camp roster wouldn't leave? And its even more shady now that they are leaving right when camp is just around the corner. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more stories like this come out between now and 2015.

-1 HS
Jrclark14's picture

It's a common discussion by penn state fans too. Do we want that sort of sec mentality in our program but I think it's a little early to make that judgement. It's 4 players and one of them was because of criminal charges so in reality it was 3 players. Turn over is a normal part of the game. We'll see if this continues but for now it's a bit early to start calling it dirty. But who knows maybe you are right

-2 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Same thing happened when RR came in for LLLLLLLLLLLoyd, most notably Ryan Mallet, along with others.

Same thing also happened when Hoke took over for RR. It is not uncommon at all. If it were happening after the season so he could obviously make room for more recruits and could point to the certain player/s "underperforming" the whole year..much more shady. 

-3 HS
otrain2416's picture

JrClark is a PSU fan so I definitely think there's truth to his post. Urban kinda did the same thing when he took over. Brian Brobek transferred to Minnesota once he found out Lindsley would be starting C. Taylor Graham transferred to Hawaii. Jeremy Cash transferred to Duke. Jordan Whiting transferred to Louisville. Heck, there's even been articles that said Rod Smith and Kenny G were going to transfer if they didn't change their attitudes and work ethic to fit Meyers philosophy. The article is definitely trying to make Franklin seem like a shade ball, but in all honesty he's the best thing that's happened to PSU in quite some time. We need PSU to be a competitive top 25 program. It's good for the conference, recruiting, the new playoffs, and our SOS. As much as I enjoyed beating the snot out of PSU last year, I would much rather beat a top 25 PSU by 10 points then beat a mediocre PSU team by 7 TDs and have the rest of the country talk about how weak the BIG 10 is. 

+1 HS
luckynutz's picture

Its one thing for a coach to dictate your roster spot. Its quite another for a kid to make a personal choice to leave. Yes, meyer did have a roster purge when he took over. The guys he outright dismissed all had a habit of legal troubles. The guys who transferred saw the writing on the wall. As you said, bobek transferred after finding out he wasnt going to start. Pesonal choice. Taylor graham knew he wasnt suited for the offense meyer runs. Personal choice. Jeremy cash just didnt want to play for meyer. Personal choice. Whiting transferred back to his home town. And if im not mistaken, never even played a down of football there.

And we are all aware of the rod smith situation. That was meyer being honest with what he saw from him. He made it his choice...and rod smith chose to stay and earn it. Again, meyer never told him to transfer because either way he wasnt going to be a part of this team. He gave rod smith a choice...either take your talents elsewhere or prove to me you have what it takes to succeed here. Thats not the same thing as being told you have no spot on my roster.

+5 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

He is the best thing to happen to PSU in sometime?  What has he done there? What has he won in the past? I ask this question every time I see someone act like Franklin has actually done something note worthy. The guy hasnt even coached a B1G game yet lets reserve a little judgement till then please.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

jaxbuckeye's picture

As stated, while there may be specifics with the players mentioned, Franklin said that he was going to cut scholarship players.  I would think that even the worst scholarship player at PSU (even while sanctioned) COULD have gone to a MAC school.  Therefore he's cutting players that were loyal when the school was down.  THAT is a douche move.  If you have integrity, you suck it up until they are gone.  If a few players at the bottom of your roster (even a reduced one) make that much of a difference, then you aren't a very good coach to begin with.

+2 HS
Jrclark14's picture

As of this posting 2 of the 4 remain at penn state. Just no longer a part of the team. The two that don't are transferring to umass and the other appears to be headed to West Virginia. This happens at every school, even osu. This happens even to guys when the coach hasn't changed. It's not right, but its reality 

-5 HS
Mortc15's picture

I have never understood the fact that a new coach can just rip a scholarship away from a player that was offered by a former coach. I think it's absolutely ridiculous and needs to be changed. 

Buck-I4Life

+5 HS
jaxbuckeye's picture

Agreed.  Part of taking any head coaching job should require that scholarship players get to complete that scholarship.  The way it is currently set up, they are saying you have committed to the coach, not the school.

+2 HS
Optimistic Buckeye Pessimist's picture

Are we sure they can?  I thought B1G went to 4 year scholarships?  If so, its against conference rules. 

Read my entire screen name....

+2 HS
1967Buck's picture

I think you are right OB. I thought I read it here somewhere that the B1G went to the 4 year plan. Peace.

+1 HS
Jrclark14's picture

Schools have the option of 1 or 4 year scholarships. I know every player o'brien signed including hackenberg was a year to year scholarship. 

-1 HS
brunstar's picture

Some of the B1G went to 4 year scholarships in 2012.  That was the first year that the NCAA allowed 4 year scholarships.  However, they aren't mandatory because the NCAA truly cares about student athletes.

http://www.cleveland.com/osu/index.ssf/2012/01/big_ten_offering_recruits_secu.html

-1 HS
brunstar's picture

You could've changed the coach's name to Nick Saban and this article would've never been written.  That D-bag has been doing it since he left MSU and it gets swept under the rug by ESPiN and the rest of the media.  But hey, the NCAA cares about its student athletes because I saw it in a TV commercial.  I'm sure the practice of oversigning is going to be outlawed soon.

The O'Bannon verdict can't come soon enough.

d1145fresh's picture

Not to ruffle some feathers but didn't Urban do the exact same thing when he came to OSU? Particularly Rod Smith and his father met with Urban to discuss his future and Urban told him he hoped he would leave the program. It's always a tough issue but sometimes the coach is doing this to say a kid needs a fresh start and they are being open about that discussion. 

-1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The fact that Rod Smith is still on the team is a pretty strong argument against the theory that Urban Meyer did the exact same thing.

+2 HS
d1145fresh's picture

http://www.elevenwarriors.com/ohio-state-football/2014/06/36434/in-twili...

Smith stepped up and it has changed his career (and personally probably more) but Urban asked him to leave. 

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Yes we all know the history. Still not the same thing if Franklin is giving kids the boot, which is what is being insinuated here.

-1 HS
Furious George 27's picture

He suggested that he might want a fresh start somewhere else..... But no where did Smith lose his scholarship by staying which would be the opposite of Franklin. Turn over happens and I am sure Meyer encourages transfers to players that don't fit, that want to play. I have yet to hear him yank a scholarship from a player who stayed after this.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

d1145fresh's picture

As posted elsewhere on this thread. The scholarship isn't being pulled they just aren't on the team. They can still attend PSU if they choose. 

Fear The Elf's picture

As I read it, they aren't pulling scholarships. The players in question can still attend PSU for free. However, they aren't allowed to practice or play with the team. Franklin is saying he has walk ons better than the scholarship players.

This is a non issue. Heck, Tressel did the same thing with Nic Dillilo

+4 HS
305Buck's picture

So you don't see a problem with telling scholarship players that they won't make the camp roster?

And for the people who keep saying "Meyer did it too," I challenge anyone to find me proof of Urban ever telling a scholarship player they wont make the roster. Almost every kid that has left Ohio State's program under Meyer either did it for personal reasons, or legal trouble.

Franklin is deliberately trying to get players to transfer, point blank period.

-2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I think it would be an issue if their academic scholarships were pulled. It's a new coach and he has some discretion about who will and won't be on his team.

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+4 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Didn't Urban basically tell Kenny G to transfer when he first came?

+1 HS
Fear The Elf's picture

Meyer didn't do it. Tress did.

The kids still get a free education. I have a hard time getting worked up about that. If he was throwing them out on the street, SEC style, it would be more of a problem.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Come on Elf there are no free lunches

Jrclark14's picture

It seems like your fellow buckeyes have named several instances where something very similar has taken place under Meyer. Truth is you have no idea what was said between franklin and those individuals so for your to say he deliberately ran people out is a reach at best. If you want to complain about this then complain that it's a college football problem. Not a James franklin problem. 

-5 HS
305Buck's picture

Yeah im sure they were happy being told they wouldn't make the football roster, this isnt the NFL you cant kick kids off the football team just because they don't produce. These kids came to play football for Penn State during its darkest hour, these kids stuck it out even though they had a great reason to transfer but they didnt. I guarantee if this was Hack being told this, you would have a much bigger problem with it.

hodge's picture

Meh, I don't see a problem with not having a spot for players if you've got better guys elsewhere.  If these gents were losing their academic scholarships, I'd be really offended; but that doesn't seem to be the case here.

There's no question that those guys fought for PSU during their darkest hour, but it's tough to be both elite and sentimental.

+2 HS
BoFuquel's picture

it's just business, it's the real world come early for these guys. In my experience if you hired a young person who didn't work out instead of firing them you just give them a do nothing job over in the corer until they quit on their own. If it hasn't happened to you yet, it will. Nobody can get along with every new boss that comes in. GO BUCKS!

I wish I didn't know now what I didn't know then.

+1 HS
Patriot4098's picture

So FBS' reigning king of lack of depth just cut at least two guys with playing time. Smart move.

"Evil shenanigans!"     - Mac

hetuck's picture

Unless it is a medical scholarship (student can no longer play for medical reasons, but retains all scholarship benefits), there is no such thing as an academic scholarship. What is happening is the four players are being told their 1 yr. scholarships will not be renewed. If they want to attend PSU and walk on, they will pay their own way. This could pave the way for transfers to have a scholarship while they sit out with a redshirt year. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi