College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

2014 OOC SOS Power 5 Conf Teams

Mortc15's picture
June 12, 2014 at 9:33am
20 Comments

The Oklahoman released their OOC SOS for this season and ranked all 64 Power 5 Teams. OSU actually checks in at 5, but the bigger story: 1 SEC in top 10 and 9 of the bottom 22. It's just 1 more guy's opinion but it's a common theme that I hope the selection committee takes into account if it actually turns out this way as the season progresses. 

http://m.newsok.com/college-football-schedules-florida-state-ranks-no.-1/article/4890856 

Squirrel Master's picture

you left off the part that this is only for NON Conference games. If you include conference games, it would look a lot different.

although supposedly Alabama would still have one of the worst schedules for next season.

I saw a UFO once.......it told me to have a goodyear!

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

You're right I did. The point being that because of the SEC's perceived strength, they get a complete pass in scheduling OOC games. 

Buck-I4Life

+1 HS
BucksFan2000's picture

We can bitch about this stuff all we want, but every year SEC teams roll in Bowl games and B1G teams don't.  Until that changes, the SEC and B1G perceptions will stay the same.

Plus we have Purdue.  That hurts.

+3 HS
Mortc15's picture

In general, yes. They were 0-2 in bcs last year, though. I agree winning on the field is the only thing that will change it. Wish they didn't always have the built in advantage of playing in the south, sometimes right out their backdoor. 

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
Furious George 27's picture

Whats more disappointing for a conference a bad team that is always bad (Purdue) or a team like Florida that goes 4-8? And for our Purdue they have UK, every conference has bottom feeders.

Yeah, well…that’s just like, your opinion, man.

BucksFan2000's picture

The problem is we have too many.  Purdue, Indiana, Illinois, Minnesota - they just don't produce good teams often enough.  They need to step it up.  Even Urban has said the B1G isn't recruiting well enough to compete with the SEC.

Nebraska is down, Iowa is down, Michigan is down, I get why PSU is down, but still.  Wisconsin is considered a top B1G team, but they've lost 4 straight bowls, including 3 Rose Bowls.

Now we're adding in Rutgers and Maryland, not exactly powerhouses.

Ultimately I don't really care.  If OSU runs the table they're getting in.  It's just becomes an issue when we have 1 loss and multiple SEC teams have 1 loss.  Their recent history in bowls if far more impressive than the B1G, so they'll get the benefit of the doubt.

You can also add Tenn, and Arky to the list of bad teams even UF from last season. Lets be honest, the SEC has always said that its impossible for anyone to come in and win in their conf. TAMU and Mizzou basically proved all that to be BS. My only point is don't make other teams better than what they are because of conference affiliation. They have their fare share of medioce to bad teams only difference was they had Bama winning titles so obviously eveyone is better right? Did LSU really look so much better than Iowa, Wisky had chances against SC w/out a QB, TAMU barely beat Duke, Bama got crushed, UGA lost to Nebraska and Auburn blew a big lead to FSU and those are teams the SEC hangs their hat on. They didn't show that they were vastly superior than anyone in their wins

+2 HS

but one could also argue that the SEC tends to have favorable bowl matchups and tend to play a lot of their bowls in SEC states.

Last year, Ole Miss was in Nashville TN, Miss ST played in Memphis TN, TAMU in Atlanta, Georgia in Jacksonville FL, USC in Orlando, LSU in Tampa, Alabama in NOLA and Vandy in Birmingham. The only games not played in a southern state was Mizzou playing in TX (basically SEC country) and Auburn in Pasadena (and they lost). They are setup to succeed each year in bowl games.

other than Maryland playing in Maryland, no other B1G team played anywhere close to their home states.

and I will also add that MSU won the Rose Bowl. No SEC team won a BCS bowl last year. They lost both (Bama and Auburn).

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Plus we have Purdue.  That hurts.

They have Kentucky.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

yep which is why last year I laughed when people complained about the OOC schedule that OSU had when many SEC teams had just as bad OOC schedules. The perception that the SEC has a tougher schedule had nothing to do with OOC, it was the conference games that gave that perception.

as long as Auburn, LSU and Alabama play each other every year, they will always get a pass for their OOC.

+2 HS

I always kind of had this opinion on certain rivalry OOC games, can they be really counted as actively scheduling a random quality OOC opponent when they have became pretty much a regular season game? i.e. FSU/UF, Clemson/SC, UGA/GT etc..... Also not sure how Navy, VT and Cincy is not considered tougher opponents than a couple of teams ranked ahead like UCLA.

Buckeye Knight's picture

They definitely count as a solid OOC opponent in my book.  They are obviously not random, but a tough game is a tough game to me.

I agree.... I look at it as we are giving them credit for going out of their way to schedule a quality opponent in which they were not. I kind of see it as Clemson scheduled UGA and two 1-AA teams since SC is always going to be played.

Groveport Heisman's picture

The sec is taking a route that is aided by their multi-billion dollar partnership with eSpin. They are sticking with 8 conference games because every team will be able to replace a sec game with a cupcake which in return makes their conference appear stronger with a higher  winning percentage. The games they do schedule against other power 5 conferences are usually neutral field  or sec home games with the sec team being the favorite. They throw in cupcake games late in the year the week before a big time rivalry game giving themselves a virtual bye week to get healthy and game plan an extra week. They will get away with it. A Bama team with the 92nd ranked schedule could go 12-1,a tOSU team with a top 20 schedule could go 12-1 that same year and guess who will be ranked higher on eSpin and talked about as superior. They spit their drivel over and over and it carries influence because  normal people dont have time to watch multiple channels ,multiple games or read from multiple sources. Sec has taken the position that their name alone will carry them so why not water the schedule down and try to accumulate the best record possible.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

Thats why B1G teams like Wisky need to win their big OOC matchups to build up the B1G rep....  The SEC has gone 1-3 in their last 4 BCS bowls, so they are starting to fall back to reality a bit.

+2 HS
Catch 5's picture

~~The games they do schedule against other power 5 conferences are ... sec home games with the sec team being the favorite.

While I grant you that the SEC has gone heavy to neutral site games, many teams still play home and home games.  Recent examples off the top of my head include Alabama-Penn State, Auburn-Clemson, Arkansas-Tamu (pre-SEC), Ole Miss-Texas, Alabama-Duke, Oregon-Tennessee, Oregon-LSU, LSU-WVa, Ga-Az State.  This does not include the regular, yearly (and late in the year despite your other claim) rivalry games such as Ga-Ga Tech, S Carolina-Clemson, Florida-FSU, and Kentucky-Louisville.

Yes, the SEC schedules fewer power 5 games.  Yes, they are moving a little too much toward neutral site games for my taste, and yes, they schedule some really weak team outside of the power 5 games they do schedule.  You don't have to exaggerate to take digs at the SEC OOC schedule, but as someone pointed out before - the SEC conference schedule is tougher and you can blame all of it on media bias and regional bowl games if you want, but I'm afraid all that will do is lead to a lot of frustration for you.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

So if we say that BCS bowls are match ups between the best teams from various conferences, then why has the SEC gone 1-3 (humiliated in 2 of them)? If anything its pretty much backs up the fact that your in conference match ups are not as tough as everyone says they are.

+1 HS
Catch 5's picture

1.  You are really hanging a lot on the last two year's record there.  Why not look at the last 7 years in the biggest game of them all?  Is it because that record is 6-1?

2.  Because we aren't just talking about the top 2 teams in the league.  It is the league as a whole.  Yes, I think OSU is comparable with the top 4-5 teams in the SEC in most years.  I don't think anyone else in the B10 is.  Yes, the SEC has Vandy and Kentucky, but the B10 has Purdue, Illinois, Indiana, and now Maryland and Rutgers.  The middle of both leagues produce good teams at times, but I would argue that those from the SEC have better resumes and definitely have better recruiting classes.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

Run_Fido_Run's picture

I'm glad to see Ohio State high on the list, but to play devil's advocate . . .

I  long wondered, under the BCS system, if it was more "difficult" for top 10-caliber teams like Ohio State to play out-of-conference against one other elite team and three cream puffs than it was to play 2 or 3 decent teams (like the Buckeyes are this season). The latter scenario will end up scoring as a tougher schedule in computer rankings, etc. If the only acceptable result is to go 4-0 in non-conference, though, wouldn't teams like Ohio State prefer playing V Tech, Cincy, Navy, Kent State to a schedule like Wisconsin's, which is #10 toughest on this list (LSU, W ILL, Bowling Green, S. FLA)?

Now if it were North Carolina or Illinois - not in the BCS hunt - they'd probably be better off facing Wisconsin's schedule. Yes, they'll lose to LSU, but they'll have a better chance of going 3-1 in the non-conference.

Also, obviously, the new playoff selection system might rejigger such "calculations"/

+1 HS
bafiesta's picture

Unfortunately the only debate is how large is the SEC's superiority over the Big10.  This is no longer a cyclical thing, this is a permanent shift which will only grow.  The SEC recruiting grounds are better than Big10's backyard and that massive advantage will only grow with population trends.