College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

A View From The Other Side

703Buckeye's picture
June 2, 2014 at 8:20pm
36 Comments

I am doing a summer internship with the athletic department at a certain school joining the B1G from the ACC. This school is extremely excited to be joining the league and is rolling out the red carpet for the league. The school creamery is even debuting a new, 10 flavor ice cream in commemoration of joining their new league.

I know the response from Buckeye nation to Maryland (moreso Rutgers) has been somewhat negative. However, I have to say in my time with the UMD athletic department that the school will be an excellent fit for the B1G and will be solid competition in many sports. There is a strong commitment to winning and excellence Of course the B1G is taking advantage of the Buckeye name... the good guys will be Maryland's first B1G home football game, October 4.

Go Terps and Go Bucks!

703Buckeye's picture

One of the views I get to have everyday on the job...

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+9 HS
rjenkins26's picture

It's no Horseshoe, but that's a pretty good everyday view...

+3 HS
toad1204's picture

Looks better than my cubicle. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+6 HS
BrooklynBuckeye's picture

EzE and Braxton are said to be finalizing paperwork on a time-share in that endzone.

+25 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Looks like the view of the shoe I enjoyed from 05-08.

Nice!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+1 HS
Jack Fu's picture

Funny, the stadium looks exactly the same in the middle of the third quarter in a game against Boston College.

+2 HS
Groveport Heisman's picture

For a second I thought Miami of Ohio.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+1 HS
GABuckeye's picture

I went to Miami.... no F'ing way the stadium is that big.  And even with the small stadium, the attendance doesn't even match high school games.

Correct,it was just a second because of the red and white and the M.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

+2 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

Reminds me of a bigger Nippert. In case you have never been, it's a nice setting and usually cheap to get in. Just have to ignore the buUCkeye state shirts.

+2 HS

Oh Nippert is actually a nice place to catch a decent game every once in awhile. Watched the Bearcats versus Louisville and it was thrilling. Somewhere between a HS playoff game and a actual Buckeye game atmosphere. Had a good time and tickets were dirt cheap.

+1 HS
Northbrook's picture

I think it's great Maryland and Rutgers are joining the B1G but Maryland needs name change. Terrapins, really? Why not just call yourselves the Maryland Slowpokes?  

+2 HS

+13 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That is one quick Turtle - Is he a wide receiver?

+3 HS

Stefon Diggs be the name. Catching passes and burning asses be the game.

+2 HS
Northbrook's picture

Must be one of them ninja turtles.

+2 HS
9Route's picture

I'm just happy to be here

+6 HS

LoL 9er. First I kept thinking this dude was going to lose a piece of finger,then a realization ran over me that we might be watching a blind baby turtle struggle to eat. Either way man man "weird and odd" so I guess right on time for you.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Talk about bad days!!!!!!!!!!!

+9 HS
buckeyedude's picture

Are you sure that turtle(If I may call it that) didn't just get done listening to a Coach Coombs speech?

+1 HS
InvertMyVeer's picture

Well if there's anything slower than a turtle it'd be a tre... wait nevermind

Football is complicated...

+4 HS
AngryWoody's picture

How fast does a Buckeye run?

Our Honor Defend!

+6 HS
Northbrook's picture

or does it explode?

+3 HS

Here is a nice view that wouldnt get old.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

Anyone else ever see this picture and get confused?

LEBRON

+4 HS

Mirror imaged? I havent sobered all the way up yet. I  realize one is an actual picture and the other is a drawing/painting.

+1 HS
bigtenspeed's picture

That blew my mind.

+1 HS
AngryWoody's picture

I'm really excited to have Maryland in the B1G. It's a great school. All in all, they have a great athletic department. Their lacrosse, baseball, soccer (among others) teams are always good and compete for national championships. They need to get better when it comes to football for sure, but with all the millions pouring in from joining the B1G their facilities and recruiting will improve over time. My favorite thing about the Terps is their fanbase. They don't have a ton of fans, but the ones they do have seem really knowledgeable and passionate about their school. They're definitely a lot better than some of our current fanbases (Purdue, Minnesota, Northwestern etc.). Plus they hate PSU and hopefully they can develop a somewhat competitive rivalry with the Nittany Lions so that the Joe Pa crazies can find someone else to harass.

Our Honor Defend!

+4 HS
TraSmith4's picture

Totally agree I am excited as well, and it's a great excuse to visit New York and DC! Obviously it's much more than just about sports otherwise why take Rutgers. It's obviously about the New York and Washington DC markets and that both of those schools are also members of the AAU. In the long run it is a great move by Delany!

+1 HS
northcampus's picture

Nothing says 'amateur athletics' like "Capital One Field."  I still cringe with the transition from St. John Arena to Value City Arena.  Hopefully, once UMd gets comfortable with their B1G paychecks, they can rename the field to "Boomer Esiason Field" or something else related to their actual football program's history.

+2 HS
703Buckeye's picture

It's still Byrd Stadium.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

I understand that some corporate sponsorships are annoying, but let's not complain about something that raises millions of dollars annually for the athletic department. And that's definitely more of a college basketball thing anyways. It's actually pretty rare in college football.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

buckeyedude's picture

It's actually pretty rare in college football.

So far.

+1 HS
Go1Bucks's picture

703.  Lived in Reston, VA for 6 years and I for one am quite ok with Maryland joining the B1G.  Look forward to the games and going back to hang with friends during the season.  Love hangin' in DC at Rí Rá alumni bar and at the Rhino in Georgetown.  

Go Bucks!

Buck Commander's picture

When you are born a Buckeye........There is no view from the other side!!!!!!!!

Every time I set my DVR to record Biggest Loser......It always records Wolverine Football Games!

Phillips.449's picture

Thanks for sharing 703.  It is cool to see more of the impacts of joining the B1G (other than getting trounced on the football field).