College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

B1G Coaches on the hot seat

Max Power's picture
May 15, 2014 at 6:28pm
19 Comments

Excluding Kirk Ferentz and his inexplicable ass saving contract, which coach is feeling the heat this upcoming season? Tim Beckman has fought an uphill battle since he arrived in Champaign but then again it IS Illinois, so the expectations shouldn't be all that high. My pick is Buckeye Alum Bo Pelini. He had a few good years before Nebraska left the Big 12 but I think the folks in Lincoln will start growing impatient after little hardware in the Huskers' first 5 seasons in the B1G. They won't be the same caliber as tOSU and MSU. Penn State is picking up some nice momentum after hiring James Franklin (although we will see what he produces on the field) and theres also that other team from that state up north. Nebraska has a rich tradition and I'm not sure that the boosters and alumni will be satisfied with finishing in the middle of the pack every season-sprinkling in the occassional division title. Although he is a decent coach, Im afraid that his less than flattering comments about the fan base only burnt what few bridges Bo had left. He is not a charismatic coach and his record is far from stellar. Will the Huskers hold on to their tradition and strive for greatness, or are they satisfied with being another "Iowa" in the B1G? Who ya got on your hot seat dubsters?

IH8UOFM's picture

Not charismatic? Might not be "shirtless at a kegger with your Dunlap hanging out-Bert-cool", but he's ok in my book.

+3 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

Tim Beckmann will get canned, if Illinois can't win more than 4 games.  Illinois has the metro areas of Chicago and St Louis nearby to recruit from, but are below Notre Dame, now Mizzu and Northwestern in terms of prommince in their own area.  Champaign isn't going to entice tons of 4* players with it's miles upon miles of soybean and corn fields, but a football coach with some charisma wouldn't hurt. Beckmann got knocked around by the Big 10 his first few years and I don't think he'll ever recover.

GoBucksOSU's picture

Last season I said Beckman had to win at least 4 games total and at least 1 conference game to avoid getting fired. This year I'm saying he has to win at least 6 games total and at least 2 conference games to avoid getting fired. Basicaly if Illinois is not in a bowl game this season Beckman is fired.

+2 HS
WhySoSerious's picture

Luke.

Rare&Uncommon

Like the ball in the stands, we balls out

-1 HS
Max Power's picture

LOL...at least he wasnt the first response

+1 HS
hetuck's picture

What are the odds John Bacon gets to write "Three and Out ...Again"? I'll put them at 20%. 

Winning is a habit. Unfortunately, so is losing.

Vince Lombardi

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

Kevin Wilson
Darrell Hazell
Tim Beckman
Hoke
Bo Pelini(though I don't think he should be)

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
Max Power's picture

I think Hazell is in the clear for a couple years. A coach should be given at least 3 years to get his own players in the program and implement his philosophies before he gets the axe

+2 HS

Turner Gill was fired after 2 years at Kansas(had a better record his first year). Unless Purdue gets to at least 4 wins, I could see him getting fired.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

-1 HS
teddyballgame's picture

I think Hoke's seat could heat up pretty fast if they have a disaster season.  They were awfully close to losing to some supposedly inferior teams last year.  If they don't makes some fixes then they might not be so fortunate this year...

+1 HS
johnblairgobucks's picture

4th year, 4 recruiting classes

1-2 vs Sparty

1-2 vs  tOSU

1-2 in Bowl games

if Michigan losses to MSU and the Buckeyes, I'm not sure there will be much support left for the direction Michigan is going in.  For a team that was considered one the the Big 2 over the Little Eight, a lack of a Conference Title in the past decade should have team's sideline boiling over with frustration, instead of sunglasses wearing, short sleave, hand clapping without a headset.

+1 HS

That depends on their record. If they're 9-3(losing the bowl game) or 10-2, I could see Hoke getting another year.

logamaniac's picture

Ha if they're 10-2 hoke gets a long term extension 

+3 HS
route4buckeye's picture

I think Pelini for the most part has won back the fans. They are recruiting well and looked great in their spring game. I think Beckman gets canned. That's it.

+2 HS
kholmes's picture

I think Hoke's job is a little safer than the consensus says. The loud noise from the Twitter/chatroom masses would suggest he is in trouble but I think Dave Brandon really has a much higher opinion of him. While results were disappointing last year, I think Brandon thinks highly of him and he is his guy.

The key is Hoke has definitely stabilized the program if you look at the attrition and academic numbers. While only 7 of 27 recruits from the 2010 class (RR's last class) were still in the program for their senior yr of eligibility, the last couple classes have changed that as 51 of 52 members of 2012 and 2013 classes are still with the team. Additionally the horrible academic APR numbers under RR have increased dramatically to the current 975 level (as detailed in the good article on 11W late yesterday). I think all of these things are really important in Brandon's eyes but not always considered by the yelling masses on Twitter.

That said, obviously won/loss record matters and Hoke would clearly be gone under an 0-12 season as attrition/APR dont matter then. I guess I think the threshold for wins is lower than the consensus since Dave Brandon's opinion is the one that matters in the end and Hoke has stabilized a program that was in disarray due to attrition and other items.

Hovenaut's picture

Countering the downer...also agree BH is on solid ground atm.

But also think it could turn ugly quick - can't ignore the empty seats for too much longer when you're second fiddle to your archrivals.

+1 HS
DCNick's picture

I think the new divisions are going to help Bo Pelini and Kirk Ferentz. Some years the schedule will be harder and some weaker but the easier division should mean 1 more win per year on average.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I really like Darrel Hazel - he's a straight shooter.