College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

ACC Non-Con Problems Solved With... Itself

703Buckeye's picture
May 14, 2014 at 10:25am
9 Comments
Hovenaut's picture

I am not very smart, but I recognize that I am not very smart.

+3 HS
703Buckeye's picture

New sarcasm font logo too?

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+3 HS
TnJoeBucks's picture

Italics are the next generation of logos.

"As the water shapes itself to the vessel that contains it, so a wise man adapts himself to circumstances." Confucius

+1 HS
703Buckeye's picture

Except for the archaic Big Ten.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

BuckeyeNut2012's picture

With 14 teams in your conference, it should be mandatory that you play 9 conference games. The fact that you can go 10+ years without playing a team in your own conference is stupid. You might as well be in a separate conference.

jedkat's picture

"I was tired of trying to work my way around the back, so I just ran him over"

~ Joey Bosa

+2 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

It's not just the ACC:

Despite a move to nine league games in 2016, non-league scheduling remains a challenge for the ADs, especially with the Big Ten prohibiting contests with FCS opponents. Thomas admits the inventory of opponents is smaller, which can increase costs of bringing in opponents that don't require return games. He added that a nine-game league schedule makes it harder to play neutral-site games because of the demand for seven home games every year.

"It's hard for us to move off campus and take a game away from our stadium, that's my biggest issue," Minnesota AD Norwood Teague said. "That was built for a purpose, and $150 million of that stadium was paid for by taxpayer dollars. You've got to serve the people."

Joyner said there has been some talk about Big Ten teams scheduling other league opponents in non-league games, something former Michigan athletic director Bill Martin brought up years ago. "That's a unique concept we could talk about more," Joyner said. "That's a possibility."

Despite the SEC and ACC announcing recently that they would keep an eight-game league schedule, the Big Ten has no plans to ditch its move to nine.

(per ESPN) - Big Ten AD meetings Day 1 wrap

+1 HS
mr.green's picture

If you get to 16 and 18-team conferences, this is the only way you would get to see teams from the other division. Imagine a 20-team B1G with A 9-game division round robin and three games against the other division that are "non conference"  so that OSU, PSU. And scUM could have more home games against better opponents than Buffalo and Kent State. Seems like a win-win to me. 

logamaniac's picture

I mean either way you're adding more quality opponents typically than the normal OOC schedules.  So we would play Wisconsin this year instead of Navy, Kent State, or Cincinnati?  That would be a boon for our SOS at the very least

+1 HS