College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Nice work if you can get it.

AngryWoody's picture
May 13, 2014 at 3:23pm
59 Comments

Car starts at 26,500.

OSU069's picture

Not trying to defend Bama but maybe his family could afford it since they didn't have to pay for him to go to college 

+16 HS
OSUpawn's picture

Maybe his parents can afford it because they got a new job/company during his recruiting year.

I believe the SEC players put their pants on one leg at a time like we do.

+6 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

or it he could have won this in a rigged raffle!

+4 HS
Youngbuck85's picture

Exactly my point for why athletes don't need paid...

+3 HS
GoBucks713's picture

Nice ride. I wonder if the Bagman dropped it off?

-The Aristocrats!

+6 HS
AngryWoody's picture

It was this guy:

Our Honor Defend!

+6 HS
osu07asu10's picture

For some perspective,...Teddy Ginn drove a 2005 Chevy Colorado (in 2005). Troy Smith also rocked an 04 Impala...

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+6 HS
Earle's picture

People who live in glass houses should dress in the basement.

Italics are for emphasis.

+24 HS
Osurrt's picture

Especially fat ugly ones.........Now the supermodel type, bring it on sister

+2 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

There's a current prominent OSU player who just got a new BMW a few months back and there's a sweet Camaro (deluxe package just like the car in the original post) always parked in front of the football dorms. Also, my cousin used to live next to DeVier Posey and he said that Pryor always came by with new rental sports cars.

Let's not accuse SEC players of breaking NCAA rules when our guys also have nice cars.

Also, college is hella expensive, and I'm assuming that a lot of the parents had set up college funds for their kids. They're getting everything paid for. Completely reasonable to assume that many families could afford to buy new cars.

Edit: And hey, I see that the tweet was posted from a Tennessee fan account. Guarantee that some of their players have nice rides, too. Glass houses.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+4 HS
Veraton's picture

Curious as to who the prominent OSU player was that got the new BMW?  

I live close to Sawmill in the Dublin/Worthington area and as the gf and I pulled into my parking space parked right next to me was a brand new BMW with a prominent OSU player getting out of it (or at least I believe).  I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be that fan but just want to confirm I wasn't seeing things.

BassDropper's picture

I'll be that guy. When he was a senior, I saw Doug Worthington driving around in what I believe to be a brand new challenger (brand new at the time). It was all decked out with accessories, and right behind him was Nadar Abdullah driving the same car but a different color, and not as tricked out.

DIRECTIONER

-1 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Lol I don't think you are "that guy" in regards to Worthington...

He was arrested for DUI in a Cadillac Escalade.

Oakland Buckeye's picture

Shocker ! Bass dropper being "that guy"

-1 HS
BassDropper's picture

...and?

DIRECTIONER

TheBadOwl's picture

Don't really wanna name drop since I haven't personally seen the new BMW, but I've seen friends tweet about it.

Whenever a college football player gets a new car, I actually don't assume that it's from autograph money or whatever. First of all, it would take way too many autographs. I think it's usually the parents saying "Hey, we're proud of you, so we're taking the money we would've spent on tuition/food/housing and buying you a car." Not always the smartest move, but hey, I'd probably do the same thing.

I don't think there's anything dirty about how this prominent OSU player got his BMW, but I'd still rather not name-drop. We're almost certainly talking about the same player, though.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

-2 HS
BassDropper's picture

First of all, it would take way too many autographs.

1.)Autographs aren't the only source of getting "dirty money." Most of the time it's just an old creeper who is a super fan, happens to be rich and have ties to the university. See the Bama suit guy and the Troy Smith hand shake. 

2.)It may not take as many autographs as you would think. These guys aren't getting $20 an autograph, The higher profile players go through autograph brokers and sign many items for a large amount of money, ala Johnny Football.

You still have cases like the Tat5, usually instead of getting cash, players will trade their signatures/memorabllia for service.

DIRECTIONER

hit_the_couch's picture

Also, college is hella expensive, and I'm assuming that a lot of the parents had set up college funds for their kids. They're getting everything paid for. Completely reasonable to assume that many families could afford to buy new cars.

People in the suburbs may be setting up college funds for their kids, but I believe not so much in the areas where most of these elite high school kids come from. Many of these elite kids come from lower income areas and families. I grew up broke and the few friends of mine that went to and/ or made it through school had no such fund to speak of; we either took out loans or joined the military.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

luckynutz's picture

So you dont believe big ted could afford a new car for junior?

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Yes, Teddy had a black Colorado

-3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I get the point, but you never know where these kids come from. I know there are current and former Buckeyes with nice cars. This kid just got a new car, he should be happy. He shouldn't have to deal with idiots like me questioning the purchase. 

+6 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

This kid is from Yulee, Fl. What I gather is that the city is half broke, half wealthy. His family could be on either side of that spectrum.

I don't think too hard about college athletes with nice cars because i'm positive it happens at any major program.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

+1 HS
Oakland Buckeye's picture

Who does the research on this stuff?

hit_the_couch's picture

Who does the research on this stuff?

The average incomes of residents? I have no idea; I just find demographics on the internet. I found something that looked like a good source stating that part of the city has money and part is below average income. It's pretty small, just above 11,000 people, so i'm not sure how accurate the data is or if it's actually a city.

Catch 5's picture

I point this out all the time, but these players can apply for, and receive student loans and grants for cost of attendance above what the scholarship provides.  This money can be several thousand dollars a semester.  Per Dodge's website, a 2014 Challenger can be leased for $269 a month for 36 months.

Make their asses quit! - Nick Saban

+3 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I point this out all the time, but these players can apply for, and receive student loans and grants for cost of attendance above what the scholarship provides.  This money can be several thousand dollars a semester.  Per Dodge's website, a 2014 Challenger can be leased for $269 a month for 36 months.

True, but with no income and no established credit, the chances of them qualifying for a lease are highly unlikely.

Bottom line, the used car game is an excellent way for schools  boosters, uber fans, and the underbelly of college football to provide extra benefits to college athletes.

I used Teddy and Troy, but the bottom line (as many have pointed out) is that a lot of the players drive nice cars. As we found out with TP, it was his mom who secured the loan for him to get his car, willing to go broke and bet on her son's future.

I mean for shits sake, Jermil Martin was listed in the NCAA violations as being given a Chevy Avalanche. JERMIL MARTIN! He of 11 career carries! Traded some trinkets for an Avalanche!

Like you said,, it happens here. It happens everywhere. Like Earle said, people in glass houses....

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

All good points, but as long as dad signs his name below his son's, it's a done deal. 

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Haha exactly my point, mom or dad signs for it and therefor it's legit

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

but with no income and no established credit, the chances of them qualifying for a lease are highly unlikely.

Credit is actually easy to get when you're young. A check/debit card works like a credit card and constantly builds credit as it pays off expenses instantly...at least that's what the bank told me when I first got one when I was a senior in high school and it makes sense. It helps build towards bigger goals and he has nothing negative on there either so it seems feasible. It's not to say that is what he did or that he can easily get the $269 a month lease without putting a significant amount down, but, as you've stated, add in a parent/guardian as a co-signer and you have yourself a car relatively easily.

CincyOSU's picture

Your bank lied to you. A bank issued credit/debit card does nothing as far as building credit. Your credit score is determined by several factors including pay history, amount owed, length of credit history, types of credit being used, credit inquiries, etc. Credit cards, auto loans, student loans, and mortgages are examples of the kinds of debt that report to the credit agencies. Contrary to what many people think your cell phone, utility bill, cable bill, etc have nothing to do with building your credit(unless you dont pay and it goes to collection). It's actually relatively easy for a young person to have a good credit score provided they know how to work the system although it can fluctuate wildly since they have such a short credit history.

As far as getting the car loan, provided he had no other debts reporting to his credit, he could show a monthly income as low as $600-$700 and qualify for a loan.

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

Your bank lied to you.

+2 HS
Hovenaut's picture

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

+1 HS
Unky Buck's picture

And you know they won't quit since they are indeed too legit.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Drop the Hammer, UB!

(and stay away from those power drills)

"Success...it's what you do with what you got" - Woody Hayes

teddyballgame's picture

Too bad their hometown reporters won't be lining up to take turns trying to buttfuck the program.  Sound familiar?

+4 HS
ODEEZ330's picture

Derick Henry is gonna be a monster next yr for them. Excited too see him ball n guarantee braxton is riding around in something just as nice. But like i said dude is a beast

O'Deez330
stark county football

-2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Not every high profile athlete rolls around in something nice. Nothing Braxton does suggests that he would be one of the players who takes advantage of their status, nothing at all.

Malcom Jenkins is one of my favorite players of all time. As a sophomore and junior, he used to run around the stadium in the summer and asked to come inside the stadium to take it all in.

He drove a busted ass 1990 Mazda 323 rusted to all hell.

+1 HS
TheBadOwl's picture

Not every high profile athlete rolls around in something nice. Nothing Braxton does suggests that he would be one of the players who takes advantage of their status, nothing at all.

And what has Derrick Henry done to suggest that he takes advantage of his status? Just curious.

-4 HS
osu07asu10's picture

I wouldn't extrapolate that from my comment

TheBadOwl's picture

Fair enough, but plenty of people here see that pic and assume that he acquired that Challenger through some kind of NCAA violation without a shred of evidence.

-3 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

Just before last season, I made a forum post about when I ran into Shazier at lunch. 

Anyhow, he drove off in an old ass maroon accord, base model...total POS.  Made me respect RDS even more.

+2 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Not every high profile athlete rolls around in something nice. 

Yeah, I remember seeing Tim Tebow running around in a beat up '95 Ford T-Bird. I almost felt sorry for him.

+1 HS
Colorado Johnny's picture

Calm down. He doesn't play for Ohio State so there must be a reasonable explanation. 

+5 HS
Stoicpaisano's picture

Shoot Corny Greene was driving around in a nice car with "Flam7" license plates 40 years ago.

Doug Worthington's family is well off, Athol Springs, NY is a very nice town.

+1 HS
9Route's picture

I don't think that's his car...I believe the car drove behind him to photobomb the picture.

I'm just happy to be here

+8 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Uncle 9er!

+3 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

After signing 400 players, Tennessee fans have no right to complain about anything.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+2 HS
DJ Byrnes's picture

Wondering how many people would turn down a new sports car from somebody who wanted to give it to them.

Would love for those killing this dude to explain the immorality of it without using circular logic.

The clock begins *checks watch* now...

Californian by birth, Marionaire by the Grace of President Warren G. Harding.

Colorado Johnny's picture

Meh with your rationality

Honestly though, not that it matters. Seems like a lot of guys on here defending him. I wonder if it were one of our guys, would he be receiving the same benefit of the doubt from BAMA fans.

And then I realize...of course not. Not to mention, they don't have a kick-ass medium like 11W on their end

+2 HS
thatlillefty's picture

Glass houses and all that. Let's not act like OSU is above this. Leave it alone.

Osurrt's picture

DO kickers and punters get smart cars?

+5 HS
buckeyes1934's picture

Maurice Wells drove around in a brand new Hummer. Doug Worthington had a suped up Charger. Every big school does this. Does it make it right? Maybe/maybe not. All I know is that Henry is going to make that school a ton of $$, so I don't care if he gets a new car.

Groveport Heisman's picture

Hmmmm...Heisman and National title Winner Jameis Winston has to steal crab legs,craw dads,and butter. Bama star RB drives around in 30k tricked out challenger.Uconns star PG and National title winner Napier also complains of going to bed starving. Something here doesn't fit.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

-1 HS
CincyOSU's picture

Something here doesn't fit

Do you feel the same way about our players that drive around in nice cars?

+1 HS

Nope..Only about sec players. Specifically Bama players.

Mark my words..I don't need acceptance. I'm catching interceptions on you innocent pedestrians.

CincyOSU's picture

lol, at least you're honest.

Im not naïve enough to not know what goes on at every major University and their star players. The culture and amount of what goes on is significantly higher down south. There was a website a few years ago that collected photos of Bama players flaunting very expensive vehicles,wads of 100 dollar bills,very expensive custom suits,and celebrity type custom jewelry. Its like they are allowed to rub it in the faces of all the kids that choose to go elsewhere. If I get a chance I try to throw a dig at them whenever possible.

-1 HS
Grande Gustavo's picture

Definitely not going to read through all of these comments, but the approved housing budget for off campus football players is $2000 a month.  Now I am an OSU student, and with utilities, I only pay about $500 a month in rent.  With $1500 a month left over, I could definitely afford the car payment on a pretty slick ride.  This $2000 is on top of food, their "clothing allowance" that players whose parents can't afford to buy them clothes get (though everyone ends up on the clothing allowance), and any legal prizes that these players are given for making it to a bowl game.

TL;DR: These players get plenty of legal money and means to get these cars and such, just because plenty of players make more after the fact doesn't mean any of the above mentioned players are gaining these cars through nefarious means.

The answer may not be at the bottom of a bottle, but it never hurts to check.