College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Penn State coach James Franklin denies new allegations against him.

buckeyejma's picture
May 3, 2014 at 7:07pm
14 Comments
kholmes's picture

Is there anything new here? I see article dated april 30th but is there new info updated in article or is this the old article that was discussed already in a few threads.

-3 HS
zoetaite's picture

This guy sounds like a complete douche and is trying waaaay to hard to pretend he is a BIG time coach. Is it just me or is this a little creepy?

https://ca.sports.yahoo.com/blogs/ncaaf-dr-saturday/vandy-coach-james-fr...

Not being one to judge, but his wife isn't too much to look at, so who is this clown.

ZT

-8 HS
BroJim's picture

Leave the man's family out of it. 

I season my simple food with hunger

+8 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Franklin is the one who opened that door:

I've been saying it for a long time, I will not hire an assistant coach until I've seen his wife. If she looks the part, and she's a D-I recruit (one of the nation's best-of-the-best), then you got a chance to get hired. That's part of the deal.

Vandy coach James Franklin is looking for a few attractive wives

+5 HS
hit_the_couch's picture

Him looking at a potential hires wife could also be translated as making sure she's fit, healthy, mentally stable, whatever. If family life for the potential hire is good, then everything else should be OK. I've read somewhere that unhealthy family life can impact work life. I take it as Franklin kinda making a joke.

Or I suppose if one can attract a hot wife, they can get a top recruit to come in; maybe that's what he was going for.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

-1 HS
BroJim's picture

Indeed.

However, we as buckeye fans should take the high road. Just because Franklin "opened the door" does not mean we should take his invitation. 

I season my simple food with hunger

Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Hey db, why do you think you're the voice of reason? Can it, Jimmy

-3 HS
Knarcisi's picture

Good thing he's in Happy Valley where reality does not exist. 

+11 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

"Allegations Against Him" overstates the situation, as it stands.  That he and another staffer phoned the alleged victim to offer moral support, even if it was during a medical exam, is hardly an indictment.  You'd have to believe that he intended the call to intimidate the woman or affect the exam somehow, and that he knew she'd be in an exam when he called.  Bit of a stretch, IMO.

What might constitute an allegation against him is the claim that at another time he encouraged the woman to recruit a team of hostesses, knowing that it was against the rules.  But, many schools seem to have recruiting hostesses, which begs the question: is it a violation of some rule?  It may be; I don't know.  Even if a rule was broken, with the NCAA seemingly gun-shy about enforcement, nothing is likely to come of it.

There was a titillating post the other day, asserting inside information to the effect that this is just the beginning of JF's problems.  No details were divulged, so we'll have to wait and see.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS
HotSauceCommittee's picture

Regardless of a rule infraction, this is slimy, shady and creepy.

+5 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

No argument from me.

Here's an old article about the practice.  ASU's then-AD, Gene Smith, is featured as an advocate of plausible deniability, a la Sgt. Schultz.  Is that our Gene Smith?

http://deadspin.com/5422547/a-brief-history-of-campus-recruiting-hostesses

And something more recent.

http://www.lostlettermen.com/article/get-rid-of-cfb-recruiting-hostesses

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

Buckeye5000's picture

Yes, that is our Gene Smith.

Go Bucks!

hit_the_couch's picture

Found this recruitment poster.

Oh yeah, and the Black Eyed Susans (from the second article) sounds like a great group to get hosted by. They should probably change that name.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!