College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

TSUN teacher takes fanbase and NCAA to task

InvertMyVeer's picture
April 25, 2014 at 9:26pm
11 Comments

So step off.  Lay off my student, who is, after all, doing nothing more than what we should all want for ourselves and those we love: imperfectly going about the work of making his real life look like his dreams.  Instead of  stewing in your suburban hole where you stoke the glowing embers of your resentment by bullying those weaker than you and berating the strong from a safe distance, all in the guise of pseudo-objective moral judgments, try to step up and make your own life what you’d like it to be.  It’s not too late for you.  It’s never too late.

Or, you could just light up a j and relax. After all, no one is watching you…

It's a pretty good read - http://yagocolas.com/2014/04/25/on-mitch-mcgary-nietzsche-and-ressentiment/

gumtape's picture

That was a good read. I am young enough to realize that quite a few ncaa athletes probably partake in a little weed once in a while. Probably the ones that are always smiling.

High and tight boo boo

+4 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

they probably do and I'm also more than a little aware that if they break the rules of their scholarship and get caught breaking those rules they will face some sort of disciplinary action(s). If they don't want to face unfair discipline against them then either be smart enough to not get caught or deal with the punishment be it fair or unfair.....

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here its a war room

-1 HS
Jonnferrell's picture

If I really wanted to do something like play a major college sport--especially if my team and I have the chance to play for an NCAA Basketball Championship, I think I'm going to be able to not smoke pot during that time, realizing that the NCAA does random drug testing and I might be the guy that gets tested.

"I miss Brady Hoke."

+3 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

I suppose I agree with the overall message, but a lot of workplaces do drug testing. So yea, people are watching. And no, I can't just relax and light up a j. 

+2 HS
brandonbauer87's picture

NCAA Disclaimer: I'm not trying to consider him an employee. 

skid21's picture

I wonder if he was as outraged when 5 OSU students were punished for selling their own belongings, which is actually legal in every state. As the poster above noted many people are drug-tested and will lose their job if they smoke pot. I don't know anyone who would lose their job for having a garage sale.

M Man's picture

Bleah.

It's not very good writing, and whoever this teacher is; he or she doesn't speak for me.  I don't want any part of that screed.  I'm sorry about McGary.  He was such a great presence and we are going to miss him terribly.  I met him once and he could not have been nicer.  But this is on him.  I am so tired of discussions of abused star NCAA athletes.  None of them are being abused.

+7 HS
southbay's picture

He developed rapidly in his one season under Beilein, and I was not really looking forward to seeing him play against the Buckeyes last season, would have been a matchup nightmare.  Not that I was happy about his back surgery, and I'm disappointed that he got himself suspended for drug use.  I hope he does well in the NBA.  Might take him some time, but with his size and all around ability he should make it.

+1 HS
allinosu's picture

To receive a scholarship is a privilege and he knew the rules. That said I always thought they should be suspended until they could pass a test on the first offense. Then after that your team forfeits the game you played. Coaches, administration and teammates would certainly be more involved then. Peer pressure would be an issue to them also.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

I really like your thought process there ------- All In

+1 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture

Apparently a little MJ is good for "chronic" pain (pun intended).  Might not be too long before team doctors can prescribe it for players.  Roger Goodell is on record as saying he wouldn't object to players using medical marijuana, if doctors find it is a viable treatment for pain.  I'd say that horse has already left the barn.

Viewed in this light, the NCAA's one year suspension seems badly out of step.

“Don’t fear criticism. The stands are full of critics. They play no ball. They fight no fights. They make no mistakes because they attempt nothing. Down on the field are the doers, they make mistakes because they attempt many things.”

+1 HS