College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

McGary Delcares for NBA Draft After One Year Suspension

Mizzillion's picture
April 25, 2014 at 9:08am
46 Comments

Who knew a first time offense for weed would get you a year suspension? Wow.

Story.

toad1204's picture

NCAA NCAAing. 

Nothing like dancing on the field in 02... 

+2 HS
mh277907's picture

Per NCAA's Mark Emmert:

After smoking pot, McGary spent hours of eating unhealthy food and playing NBA 2k14 where he was able to hone his skills which obviously led to an unfair advantage on the court.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Soggy_McMuffin's picture

Are you hungry Mitch?!

Gooz-fra-bah...

-2 HS
osu407's picture

We are so lucky that we didn't lose spence for a full year.   That was all going down around the bowl game which that article makes it sound like was why mcgary got a year rather than a three game wrist slap. 

+1 HS
MacG91's picture

He was originally suspended for a year but then he said he was unknowingly drugged. 

Mac..yeah

+2 HS
osu407's picture

But if they were ready to uphold it on marihuana we are lucky they reduced it on something more serious like x no matter what he said. 

MacG91's picture

I'm glad to see that McGary is not coming back, but the NCAA is a complete joke. 

Mac..yeah

+4 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

scUM & IU should be turrible next season

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

IU will be, but UM wont. Wouldn't be surprised if we compete for the title again, just like this year when nobody gave us a shooters chance. 

-2 HS
mh277907's picture

UM will be alright but competing for a title is quite a stretch. Walton, LaVert and Irvin have talent, no doubt, but they will have serious issues inside. As Ohio State found out this year, it is extremely hard to shoot from the outside when you have zero scoring threats in the paint. My guess is round of 32 or possibly a Sweet 16 depending on draw. Belien is a great coach but he doesn't have the horses coming in to replace 3 NBA draft picks, a senior center and a graduate transfer (all 5 by the way represented 68% of the scoring or 50+ points/game).

buckeyebobcat

southbay's picture

Did I read that Jon Horford transferred out?  If that's true it's interesting, he would have been one of the workhorses, replacing Morgan in the starting lineup perhaps.  But I would still think it's too soon to count UM out.

mh277907's picture

Yes, he is who I was referring to. He is transferring and will be able to play right away wherever he goes as he is graduating this spring. Weird circumstances as you are correct - he would had to have seen significant minutes next year as they have very little returning at the 4 and 5 spots.

buckeyebobcat

TheTeam16's picture

I'm not sure I would call Jordan Morgan a "scoring threat." What will be awful is our interior defense, Donnal and the other bigs left are all better scorers than MorFord were. 

And put me on record now, but Irving is going to make everyone forget about stauskas. Kid is a freak and has a great drive the basket game he didnt have to use at all this year. Couple that with Walton and Levert, oh buddy.

Again I didnt say we would win the title, I said compete for it. 

-1 HS
southbay's picture

Maybe I missed it, but could you please clarify, were you referring to the Conference title, or the National title?

TheTeam16's picture

I'm sorry haha, conference. I am not delusional, at least...I dont think so. Now some of my fellow UM fans are a different story...

+1 HS
southbay's picture

Well,they did make the Final Four two years in a row when relatively few would have expected them to.  Beilein does a good job with what he has.  But doing that again this year will be difficult, too many guys to replace.

I still think they will do well in the conference but the Buckeyes and Wisconsin will both be deeper.

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Well said SB - The conference ladder will be much more difficult to climb this year. Fans are already saying what a horrible team UM will have and yes they do have to replace a lot but they will be decent. I hope they are just mediocre at best. 

southbay's picture

Thanks, but actually I think I erred, UM's loss to Kentucky last month was in the Regional Final, wasn't it?  Still a very good tournament run.

Seattle Linga's picture

Correct but no one cares about one little hiccup

TheTeam16's picture

I am not saying this because I am a Michigan fan (I can admit when we will be absolutely terrible: see Michigan football 2014-2015), but we will be much better than mediocre. With the recruits coming in and the guys we have coming back we will possibly have a better "Beilein offense" than last years. That being said, our interior D will STRUGGLE...but Beilein is one of the best, if not the best offensive mind in the game. We were terrible on D this year and took the most talent laden team in the nation to the brink before they played in the NC. I honestly predict we finish second in the B1G to Wisconsin, but a lot can happen between now and next year haha.

TheTeam16's picture

The increased production out of Irving and Walton will cover Nik leaving, and Caris will actually play to his potential...something GR3 never accomplished. Inside we will be able to score much easier than we did last year, d/t having a big that is offensive minded. 

jeremytwoface's picture

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

Mortc15's picture

A team's rule is 3 games and the NCAA's rule is a full calendar year? How do those penalties match up at all?

Buck-I4Life

+2 HS
Osurrt's picture

Isn't the NCAA's role in college athletics to also mold and shape its athletics....wonder how this plays into the program? I have to believe it McGary had appealed, it would have been reduced. From his standpoint....another superior high school athlete and above average collegiate player that chases a dream that won't be there.

buckeyesean's picture

I posted this on another forum, but figured it would be good here too. I agree that the 1 year ban is quite harsh, but I also seem to recall all the high (pun intended) on their horse Michigan Men always bad mouthing the "type" of players OSU recruits, while neglecting to realize their Michigan Men are exactly the same.  I recall the NFL made Pryor serve some sort of suspension for his trouble with the NCAA, doubt the NBA would do the same since Silver is a lot more reasonable in his governance of the sport than Goodell is, but an interesting turn to say the least.  

+1 HS
TheTeam16's picture

There college aged men, I think we can all agree we all did some STUPID THINGS in college. Does that mean that WE ARE STUPID?

Any fan, from any school that busts on another schools student athletes for making stupid decisions is a fool, it happens everywhere.Comes with the territory of being an 18-22 year old male put up on a pedestal.

SavannahBuck's picture

I love how he acts like it was a one time thing. I suppose its possible, but for your first time smoking marijuana, its going to be out of your system in two weeks. Me thinks he was doing a little more smokey smokey than they let on.

elitesmithie's picture

Depends on if its a pee test or hair test. Hair test can track for up to 6 months potentially. 

SavannahBuck's picture

That is true. However, the trace amounts of marijuana that would be in a first time user's system would probably be filtered out before they could seep into hair cells. Besides, hair tests take too long for the NCAA. I'm sure it was a pee test, which is considerably faster.

IH8UOFM's picture

I went to the ESPN article and expected the comments section to be a catastrophe, and it is. 

+1 HS
hodge's picture

How a DUI nets a fraction of this kind of suspension is beyond me.

It's weed.  Who gives a shit?

+6 HS
OSUStu's picture

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+5 HS
TheTeam16's picture

Exactly.

The NCAA just pushed out one of its potential star players due to the fact he smoked weed, a substance that will be legal within the next decade. Bravo Mark Emmert you dumbass.

+1 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

There's a lot of things that are/will be legal but against NCAA rules and smoking weed is just one of them.

LEBRON

Mortc15's picture

Your point is good, however, weed is legal in Colo. and Washington but still against rules of every major professional league as well as NCAA. Just because it's legalized for the public, doesn't necessarily mean it's legal for athletes. 

Buck-I4Life

buckibri's picture

yes, a year penalty for this is excessive.

yet he knew the rules and chose to ignore.

Based off the two above statements my bet is that he knew this would make his decision to move to the NBA easy so he made his choice knowing full well the outcome.

+2 HS
bigbadbuck's picture

If you don't want your future to be determined by an organization that makes questionable decisions at best then follow the damn rules!Seems pretty easy and straight forward to me, but then I'm not a Missagain Man

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

+2 HS
FROMTHE18's picture

meh, don't care too much for punishing players who smoke weed, as long as they aren't committing violent crimes or something comparable to them then I just shrug at this type of transgression…adios McGary.

ab1993's picture

Myles Turner to Michigan...

Class of '16

-1 HS
buckeyestu's picture

This makes my day, the meltdown going on over at mgoblog is funny and delightful. Hey our guys broke the rules by trading "their" stuff for tattoos, I see no problem with Mitch getting punished for a drug. Screw meatchicken.

+2 HS
southbay's picture

I think something had to be done, but a whole year?  Seems to me that's a "harsh toke".

bigbadbuck's picture

coughing...lots of coughing after "harsh toke"

Battles are sometimes won by generals; wars are nearly always won by sergeants and privates. Football is no different, the guys down in the trenches win the games, not the coach.            

Denny's picture

Straight up: whichever power conference is the first to leave the NCAA and its draconian and capricious suspension bullshit behind will have a legitimate recruiting edge. The NCAA is careening towards self-immolation with these suspensions. 

Taquitos.

+1 HS
jamesrbrown322's picture

What a STUPID way to end a career. He should have just declared halfway through the year, and then, who the hell cares if he was smoking weed?

"I can accept failure, but I cannot accept not trying." - W.W. Hayes

southbay's picture

Most basketball coaches do, I suspect, although I really don't know.  Or at least maybe they should if they care about winning.  That's because I think that marijuana use can be very de-motivating, and I think that because a woman I knew who made her living counseling troubled teenagers told me that, and because I knew a few people when I was at OSU who failed because they couldn't put the bong down.

I know, I know, I sound like an old fuddy duddy, but you asked.

+2 HS