College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

NCAA endorses plan to provide autonomy to five major conferences

BuckeyeRick's picture
April 24, 2014 at 4:47pm
10 Comments

The beginning of the end of the NCAA has officially begun.

Today, the NCAA endorsed a restructuring plan that will give autonomy in several areas to the five major conferences: the Big Ten, ACC, Big 12, Pac-12 and SEC.

Among the areas in which the NCAA generally agrees to allow the conferences to be self-governed: financial aid, including full cost of attendance and scholarship guarantees; insurance, including policies that protect future earnings; academic support, particularly for at-risk athletes; other support such as travel for families, free tickets to games and expenses associated with events, such as parking.

The board is seeking feedback and will vote on the final recommendations in August.

http://www.ncaa.org/about/resources/media-center/news/di-board-directors-endorses-restructuring-process-seeks-feedback

brandonbauer87's picture

All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others. 

+4 HS
bucksk1n's picture

They've learned a valuable lesson.  It's difficult to be held accountable for anything when you pass all responsibility to the conferences and individual schools.  Problem solved from their viewpoint.

+1 HS
jeremytwoface's picture

And they do it a day before the Northwestern union vote... Hmmmm

The first man gets the Oyster, the second man gets the shell.

Norwalk's picture

and when this passes....so does all pretense of players being "student athletes.".We will have officially become a professional minor league feeder program for the NFL. I would rather see us go DIII than join the ranks of The Omaha Nighthawks and other minor league pro teams.

+3 HS
DannyBeane's picture

I honestly wish there was a minor league for the NFL for people to join straight out of High School. That way we can get the people that really do want to both play football and get an education. But then you'd still probably have $EC bagmen bribing in Ringers to game the system.

+3 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Can you imagine playing college ball and getting a W2 from the athletic department for your "work"

+1 HS
BuckeyeRick's picture

I can't believe this hasn't got much attention. This sounds like it's a very big deal.

Brutus1972's picture

NCAA relieving itself from a lot of liability is what it looks like to me. Let the bidding wars for recruits start. This is going to get ugly. I bet SMU is really pissed off right now.lol If only they could have waited 35 years or so.

Danify's picture

Why doesn't college football adopt an similar system to baseball. You can either get drafted straight out of high school which will have you go into an minor league football system from one of the 32 teams or must stay in college for minimal of 3 years.. Only issue is having to have two drafts for "first year" players and college players. 

+1 HS
Norwalk's picture

It's not college football's decision to make. The NFL doesn't allow players to sign a contract with them until they are at least 3 years removed from high school. The NFL knows that minor league football isn't financially viable and they count on college football to be their minor league system.