College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Brady Hoke's 4th year pressure

johnblairgobucks's picture
April 8, 2014 at 10:24pm
42 Comments

If Michigan doesn't win their division in 2014, it will be a full 4 years of Hoke's recruits and coaching, resulting in neither a Big 10 Championship or Division title.  

Hoke has a decent chance of going 1-3 against each of his school's 2 biggest rivals ( OSU and MSU).  Wisconsin has regularly outperformed Michigan, with less acclaimed recruits.  Penn State with a new coaching staff and on the brink of coming off a Bowl Ban seems to be building momentum..... How long will Michigan want to wait with Hoke?  Say Michigan produces another 8-4 or even 9-4 type season, will they want to venture into a 5th year and be on the verge of realistically being the 4th best team in their division?

MacG91's picture

All this pressure might cause him to eat a lot and put on some weight... Oh wait..

Mac..yeah

+10 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Lets have a Hoke and a smile. 

God I love hating those skunk weasels. 

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

Shades of us wanting Lloyd Carr to stick around and ttun wanting Cooper to stick around as well. I know it's great for the B1G for both ttun and us to have excellent teams and have it come down to the last game of the season but I want them to retain hoke and have them be mediocre at best. 

It's people like Taylor Lewan and those knuckleheads that surrounded Dontre Wilson that lead me to believe that way.

All we've ever known at Michigan is FAILURE

+4 HS
M Man's picture

Dontrelle Willis precipitated it.

+7 HS
southbay's picture

Beth Mowins wasn't doing that game.   Nice try though M Man!

+2 HS
osu07asu10's picture

Beth Mowins wasn't doing that game.   Nice try though M Man!

You're right, it was Brad Nessler and Todd Blackledge. Blackledge called him Dontrelle Willis so M Man is spot on.  Nice try though Southbay!

"They don't know what they don't know." - Coach Mick

+4 HS
southbay's picture

No kidding?  Thanks for setting me straight.  I'd gone off to the bathroom when the brawl broke out.  I'm like John Travolta's character (Vincent) in Pulp Fiction sometimes.  Something bad has usually happened that I missed out on.

M Man usually is spot on, for that matter.

+1 HS
saltybuck61's picture

Blackledge also called Marcus Hall Maurice Hall. Twice.

+1 HS
mobboss1984's picture

No sir Dontre, Dontrelle didn't do any such thing.

Always be yourself, express yourself, have faith in yourself, do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it.
Bruce Lee

Colerain 2004 G.O.A.T.'s picture

I see no possible way they can justify keeping him with anything short of a title game appearance and win over tOSU and MSU. Maybe if they beat one of tOSU or MSU and fall a game short but it would have to be done with Suga Shane Morris so that there was some promise for the next season. Yep pretty much not going to happen. CYA Hokester the Buckeye Nation will miss ya.

I speak the truth but I guess that's a foreign language to yall.~~Lil Wayne

Statutoryglory's picture

I'm sure the message boards in blueville will be shouting to hire Belichick with Saban as DC and Sumlin as OC come November.

+5 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

If Calipari can move to football as the recruiting coordinator you'd have the entire entourage.  

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

He's keeping his job if they go 9-4. The only way he gets fired with that record is if Michigan gets blown out by Ohio State, MSU, ND, and the bowl game.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
hodge's picture

It certainly helps his case that Dave Brandon's ego is tied to Hoke's fortunes—you saw how optimistic he was about Rodriguez. 

Granted, Hoke's a hit with UM donors and brass; I'm sure that's paying dividends as well. 

+4 HS
M Man's picture

Yeah; I think you've got it right.  Hoke's seat isn't all that hot at all.  You've even got all the reasons right, Hodge.  Hoke = Mattison, and Mattison is going to be running a pretty good defense this year.  (Lots of positional competition there, and nobody knows better than OSU how that intramural competition translates into success in the fall.)  A good defense will keep Michigan in just about every game.

Everybody seems to like Hoke, and yeah he is very much Brandon's guy and -- I can't say it any better -- Brandon's ego is tied to Hoke.

Hoke did the hard thing after last year which was to let his friend Al Borges go.  The Nussmeier thing is going to take some time; the New Nussmeier Offense probably also works to buy Hoke some time.  It is Devin Gardner's third new playbook to learn.

+5 HS
mh277907's picture

I am not convinced that UM will have all that great of a defense this year (I am not sold on OSU either but I believe OSU still holds an overall talent advantage on that side of the ball). With the exception of the cornerback position (which does have talent and will presumably add even more talent this fall), UM is relatively unproven in a lot of spots. The LB position should be improved but outside of Ryan, who is transitioning to a new role, the group has not been much to write home about. The defensive line has some returning faces and some guys like Clark and Charlton that should be pretty decent if not All-B1G players. But there is also a lot of question marks about the safety position. I would imagine that UM's defense is improved but they weren't exactly lighting the world on fire last year. Like I am with Ohio State, I am not ready to say that their defense should be able to keep them in every game.

buckeyebobcat

+4 HS
Run_Fido_Run's picture

This is also the third year in-a-row Michigan is playing a semi-tough schedule.

Obviously, their dream schedule was 2011. That was a 7-5-type team that just happened to play a 11-2 schedule. They had similar quality teams in 2012 and 2013 but went 15-11, which is about what they deserved.

I see them being a bit better this year (Mattison is a witch and his depth-of-talent is upgrading), but that still projects them at about 8-5 or 9-4 against a schedule that is also a slight upgrade over last season. I haven't really looked at them yet, but they figure to lose at ND, at MSU, and at Ohio State. They'll might get all they can handle from Utah, Minnesota, and at NW. If they surpass expectations, they'll be in a second-tier New Year's Day bowl game against a good SEC team.

So, yeah, an odds maker bearish on them would say something like over/under 8 wins (for a 13 game season) and a bull would say about over/under 8.5 wins.

The over/under on the Buckeyes is more likely to be about 10 (for a 13 - 15 game season).

+2 HS

If *ichigan would have kept RRod and just hired Mattison as D coordinator it would have been very interesting t see how that 2011 season would have played out. Im in the camp that thought RR was primed and might have made a run that year

+2 HS
Statutoryglory's picture

Pretty sure Mattison was part of the lure of hiring Hoke.  Doubt he would have gone back to college for RR especially given his tenuous hold on the HC job.

M Man's picture

I'm pretty sure of that too.  Nobody's ever confirmed it, but I'd bet anything that it was a kind of a package deal.  That Brandon was counting on Mattison as being part of the Hoke-hire.  (Nobody's ever denied  it, as far as that goes...)

Nobody thinks we'd have gotten Mattison, without Hoke.  But what some of us think is that perhaps the worst single decision/problem/circumstance during the RR era was that Michigan failed to do whatever was necessary to make damn sure we secured the services of Rodriguez's personal defensive coordinator, Jeff Casteel.  Casteel sat out the Rodriguez-in-Ann Arbor period, remaining as DC in Morgantown.  He promptly jumped ship and moved to Tuscon in within the first month that Rodriguez was hired.

The real story behind Jeff Casteel is in my mind one of the handful of the very best intrigues (and there were a lot of them) of Rodriguez's three years at Michigan. 

You are probably right that the Mattison Hoke connection was  implanted and Matt wouldn't have came on to RRods squad.But what I was stressing was RROD was going to put a offensive squad for the ages on the field that year,and in just hiring a competent D man might have given that team a shot. The schedule was weak and ripe for a shot.Agree? or think Hoke masterminded that great 11 win season?

Dr. House's picture

The only way he gets fired with that record is   When Michigan gets blown out by Ohio State, MSU, ND, and the bowl game.

fixed it for you. dude is toast this year if they don't look like they are improving 

+1 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

ND blowing out Michigan? Haha.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

TheBadOwl's picture

Let's be honest, we expected a blowout last year and didn't get one. It's The Game. Anything can happen.

When I walked in this morning and saw the flag was at half mast I thought, "Alright, another bureaucrat ate it." but then I saw it was Li'l Sebastian. Half mast is too high. Show some damn respect.

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

The last five games in Columbus:

26-21
37-7
42-7
42-39
37-21

+1 HS
hodge's picture

Gotta think that another ho-hum season will put a ton of pressure on the Hokester. Four years into a tenure, in this day and age, you generally know what you're going to get from a guy. 8-4 is perfectly acceptable for a school like Minnesota or Purdue, but it's well beneath the standard that Michigan should be performing at—furthermore, it runs the risk of poisoning the well with recruits, denying the Wolverines coveted prospects. They're not there yet (Hoke's Spring recruiting titles stand as testament to this), but I'm betting its on top of Brandon's mind. 

Hoke's by all measures an exceptional recruiter and supremely decent human being (a trait lacking in many of his contemporaries), but multimillion dollar industries are about "What have you done for me lately?" and Hoke's apparent lack-of-development and ineptitude at times to produce cognisant gameplans have got to even have Brandon hedging his bets. If Hoke doesn't win the Big Ten (and he's got a tough road ahead), he'll need to have a ton of momentum to stick around. Neussmeier was a good call; it might have been his saving grace. 

+4 HS
The Rill Dill's picture

IMO, his 'saving grace' was when he took the Buckeyes to a 42-41 finish, last season.  The program was just about to implode, and we gave them life.  We could've helped them in a MAJOR collapse, if we'd have done what all the experts THOUGHT we would do-----blow them out. 

+1 HS
southbay's picture

That was like watching a different team than the one that had played the previous 11 games, especially if you saw any of their performances against Akron and Connecticutt.  Not just in terms of the playbook but they made very few mistakes too.  Used Jake Butt very effectively.

I saw the thread about TTUN's spring game and some of the talk there kind of bothers me.   Reminded me of "Hey, no problem, they're still Sparty!" before the Conference Championship Game.

M Man's picture

The talk about the Michigan Spring Game here at 11W, was pretty much like the talk about the Michigan Spring Game at MGoBlog.  Everybody thought it was mostly painful to watch.  That there was some interesting action, personnel-wise, on defense.  That the offense looked like a minor clusterfuck.  And that Freddy Canteen was a tiny bright spot.  Most of us miss the days of a Spring Game that is a game.  And a few of us could not help but notice that for all of the hype and hoopla and Era of Good Feelings under Hoke, our Spring Game attendance has been falling since a peak period in 2009-10, and it is just a fraction of what will be happening in Columbus.  The best that the True Believers could come up with was, "It's just practice, no matter what..."

southbay's picture

Off-season injuries are becoming a big problem, so the spring game not being a game might be a smart move.  And who cares how many are in the stands for that.  Then you have a new OC, young players and another five months to work it all out.  And no undertone of overconfidence leading to complacency.  Things could be worse.

I still think the Buckeyes win the division, but I won't be surprised if TTUN comes in second ahead of MSU, with a good enough record for a BCS type bowl.  And yes Coach Hoke stays.

JohnnyKozmo's picture

Lets say they go 8-5 or 9-4, lose a couple blowouts, surprise a higher ranked team or 2, and the Niners and Harbaugh cut ties (realistic possibility).  Then what?  I think that immediately makes Hoke's seat smoking hot, but  how much $ can TTUN throw at Harbaugh to make him consider coming back to college, if he would at all?

tussey's picture

That's a really big "If."  I don't see the Niners getting rid of Harbaugh anytime soon and if they did, there are plenty of teams in the NFL that would hire him in a heartbeat.  I think there is 0% chance that Harbaugh is hired at TTUN for the 2015 season. 

gobucks96's picture

If they have another offensive season like last year, I'd imagine a lot of folks up north will be getting rather annoyed. They are not a very fundamentally sound team on that side of the ball. 

+1 HS
Zimmy07's picture

TSUN has 9 seasons now w/ no B10 championship.  If they don't win one this year that will be the 2nd longest drought in their history.

Here's to that happening.

+1 HS
Hovenaut's picture

Hoke leave?

+1 HS
Horvath22's picture

Hokester forever.

buckeyeEddie27's picture

The OC hire bought him two years.   His ass in on the street without a bowl win and a win in The Game by then.  My $.02

I know there's a game Saturday, and my ass will be there.

+1 HS
buckguyfan1's picture

Hoke fat smells like Canadian Bacon with the heat on. 

johnblairgobucks's picture

I hope to never get close enough, to confirm this.

buckguyfan1's picture

My source tells me thats what Denard was mumbling when he was laying flat on his back at the end of The Game.

Fort Seneca Steve's picture

Has it really been four years since that fat piece of crap "rolled" into town?   My how time flies when we (OSU) are having fun!!  I vote:  STAY FATTY!

Before there was Larry Bird, there was "Hondo" John Havilcek! The Pride of Martins Ferry, Ohio!