College sports discussion.

Penn State has 10 O.O.C. games scheduled through 2016

johnblairgobucks's picture
April 1, 2014 at 9:39pm
34 Comments

2014: U of Central Florida (in Dublin, Ireland), Akron, UMass and Temple

2015: @ Temple, Buffalo and San Diego State

2016: Kent State, @ Pitt, Temple

Now, I admitt tOSU has had a couple of bad OOC years the past 2 with a Vanderbilt renig, and Cal being horrendous, but at least we get 1 BCS Conference school to play a year, at minimum.  Penn State is working on having 1 BCS Conference opponent OOC in 3 YEARS. What gives?

Wisconsin, who is historically bad at challenging themselves OOC, even has a home/home with LSU and a neutral site matchup with Alabama in that time span

Iowa jumps in with a yearly intra state matchup with Iowa State and has a home/home with Pitt

Michigan has Notre Dame, a home/home with Utah, Oregon State and Colorado in the next 3 years.

Sparty has a home/home tilt with Oregon to go along with a 2016 game against Notre Lame

Nebraska has a home/home with Miami, Fla and then starts a series with Oregon

The Buckeyes have a home/home with Va Tech, 2014 Cincinnati, then 2016 at Oklahoma

Not sure what PSU thinks it is accomplishing by not challenging themselves on the field, unless they are willing to become a middle of the pack conference player, which they may, if they don't compete against good opponents

brandonbauer87's picture

My biggest concern is why they would do a home/home with Temple. 

+4 HS

looked it up and saw that Temple plays in a Stadium built in 2003 that holds 68,000+.  Kind of surprised, I always envisioned them playing in a Stadium half that size, unless they shared the Philadelphia Eagles turf.

JakeBuckeye's picture

They definitely do share/use the Eagles stadium... Its Lincoln Financial Field

+3 HS
Maffro's picture

They have been playing Temple almost every year since like the 70s. It's a rivalry, albeit one that's about as competitive as ND-Navy used to be up until the Weis era.

703Buckeye's picture

Michigan has Notre Dame, a home/home with Utah, Oregon State and Colorado in the next 3 years.

That's pretty lame.

"Attack the Strong, Trample the Weak, Hurdle the Dead!"
-Former OSU S&C Coach Lichter

+1 HS
ITWASME's picture

UCF is now a BCS school believe it or not so that's 2 BCS OOC opponents. Still weak though

+3 HS

The American Conference is a BCS caliber conference...... wait, the BCS is no longer........... neither is the Big East...... how are the going to fill in the other "BCS" Bowl Games, after the 4 team playoff field is selected?  The BCS formula?

is the American Conference really considered a Big Boy Conference?  Cincinnati, UConn, SMU, East Carolina, Houston, Memphis, Temple, Tulane, Tulsa, South Florida, Central Florida, yeah I guess that isn't so bad.  It's better than the dumpster fire Conference USA has become and is better than the Mountain West.

+1 HS
ITWASME's picture

Unfortunately I have no other way to describe teams anymore XD

+1 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

Group of Five - B1G, PAC, SEC, Big12, ACC

+2 HS
Buckeyevstheworld's picture

UCF also lost Bortles and Storm Johnson. They probably won't be as good as they were the last two seasons.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

Embarrassing schedule for PSU

+1 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

That Dublin trip is going to be a long one for those parents. First time I saw that game in Ireland scheduled. 

+2 HS
sbentz4's picture
+3 HS
Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture

What gives?

No real secret, PSU was trying to pad the schedule for wins during/after the sanctions.

+2 HS
HilltopHustle's picture

Let's not throw stones, especially after our own OOC schedule last year, which was one of the worst I recall ever having. Yes, our schedule is better this year, but these things ebb and flow at every school.

Ok? That's one year. This type of schedule is typical for Penn State.

"YOLO" = I'm about to do something extremely ignorant/stupid & I need an excuse to do it.

+5 HS
RedStorm45's picture

2012.  2013.  2007 (marquee matchup was at a pretty mediocre Washington)

2012 Ohio State beat a UCF team that a year later won a BCS Bowl.

Buffalo and SDSU aren't great, but they both turned out to be better than we all originally thought.

+2 HS
Maffro's picture

2012 Ohio State beat a UCF team that a year later won a BCS Bowl.

This isn't something that gets reflected on Ohio State's 2012 schedule, nor should it be; it's not really relevant. Should we start giving credit for everyone that beat the 2012 Auburn team?

Did UCF have two different coaching staffs?

-1 HS
Maffro's picture

Is Auburn the only team that I can use to get my point across?

+1 HS

It sure wasn't the best team to use.

AZBuckeyePhan's picture

no disrespect but I feel we are the last fan base to poke fun at someone else's OOC schedule. Our Horses A** of an AD schedules 1-AA teams because they have an entertaining band....oh and he charges $80/ticket to see said 1-AA team with entertaining band. What a joke.

Jeans Smith is a POS!

+1 HS
Johnny-Shane_Utah-Falco's picture

... and that's just the football side of it, the basketball scheduling has probably been worse

+1 HS

Jeans Smith is a POS!

What about Gene Smith?

AZBuckeyePhan's picture

I realize what and how his name is spelled. You clearly don't remember our POS AD wearing a pair of blue jeans and tennis shoes on the air craft carrier we were suppose to play Marquette on. Meanwhile the Marquette AD was dressed in a nice button down and khaki pants with a nice pair of dress shoes.

Perhaps Jeans could have been a little more respectable and actually dress like he is the AD of one of the most prestigious Universities in the country instead of a bum.

+2 HS
tennbuckeye19's picture

If the conference was better there wouldn't be an issue with out of conference scheduling. 

Have you seen Alabama's OOC schedule the last several years? And they get a pass because they play in the mighty S-E-C...

+2 HS
ShowThemOhiosHere's picture

To be fair, Temple and UCF are technically BCS schools, too, since they are in the AAC.  But yeah, nobody of real substance.  Pitt is the renewal of a rivalry, at least.

Class of 2010.

hit_the_couch's picture

Temple is/ was considered a rival for them as well.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!

Floyd Stahl's picture

They're trying to win games that they know they won't win in the B1G.

Calgarybuck's picture

Why is this news to anyone? Their hoping to go 4-0 in the OOC and win 2-4 in the B1G just to remain visible and bowl eligible, it was definitely set up to help O'brien and now it's going to help out Franklin alot as only the Bucks/MSU are surefire to beat them in a weakened B1G.  You build momentum and build a team up from sanctions then schedule tougher teams to build a resume, If you were Penn state with those lost scholarships why would you even schedule tougher teams? you might as well just burn the trust of the coach if your the AD..

hit_the_couch's picture

Pitt and Temple were former rivals. I'm guessing they're rebooting these even if Temple is crap and in the AAC. I think the AAC is still a BCS conference. Pitt is also a BCS school (ACC), so that would mean at least more than 1 BCS opponent they have scheduled.

And then I told her...i'm no weatherman, but tonight's forecast is calling for several inches!