College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Should there be a time limit on official replays?

johnblairgobucks's picture
March 28, 2014 at 11:11pm
12 Comments

Watching this year's NCAA basketball tournament,  most of the close games have 3-4 reviews in the final 2:00 of game time, where officials go to the sideline to view a t.v. Monitor on a possession review.  Some of the reviews take a few minutes to resolve.  During the review process in college football, some take 3 to 4 minutes.  I know it's not a humongous amount of time, in the grand scheme of things, but it does become tedious to watch and sit through. Sometimes these review pauses seem to kill momentum, give teams breaks  or even not get the call correct anyways.

I feel that if a college basketball review takes more than 30sec, or a college football review takes more than a minute, they should go with the call on the court/field.  Splitting hairs with super slow motion and close up/alternate view camera  angles shouldn't be used for great amount of time, when they aren't used consistently throughout the course of the entire game.  If it's important enough to do extra long reviews in the ending moments of the game, it should be done throughout, but it isn't.

Anyone else get bothered by the increasing number of lengthy reviews?

Seattle Linga's picture

I hear ya and I agree with you however I am OK with it taking an extra minute or two to make sure the call is correct instead of a rushed bad call. Just my opinion.

+3 HS
Deadly Nuts's picture

I just hate when they go and check the time with 2.0 seconds left in a 3 point game when the team down by 3 has the ball and no TO's.

LEBRON

johnblairgobucks's picture

As long as it isn't taking five minutes to + or - .2 seconds, when in the course of the game 15 or more seconds of game clock is evaporated due to loose clock operation.

teddyballgame's picture

Why not have an additonal ref who only watches the monitors and is dedicated to replay...

Also, the 35sec shot clock is soooo long.  that's crazy.

+2 HS
Sleepy's picture

Why not have an additonal ref who only watches the monitors and is dedicated to replay...

Take your logic elsewhere.  It has no place here.

~ the NCAA

+3 HS
wojodta's picture

I hate when they take 5 minutes to see if a tenth of a second should be added. Who cares. I'm not a fan of the instant replay at all. It's used way too much, in both football and basketball. Bad calls usually even out so unless something's egregiously wrong, they should just let it go.

+1 HS
BuckFly's picture

Nick Saban agrees with you

+1 HS
RBuck's picture

It's tedious because you get 3 to 4 minutes of commercials.

"It's just another case of there you are". ~ Doc (1918-2012)

+2 HS
Seattle Linga's picture

When I worked for espin - we had the rights to specifics NBA games on certain nights and the commercials where always one minute longer than other NBA games. Why do you think that whenever they carry the redsox and yankees games they last over 4 hours. 

KBonay's picture

I'm just baffled as to why they are not staggering these start times more. Last nights games was a huge example of why they should. 2 games, both 2 point games. Both with a minute to go. 

+1 HS
rdubs's picture

In football sometimes when they overturn a call they have to go back and find the line of scrimmage and the proper time, so it makes sense why there would be a long replay to get all of that figured out.  In basketball I think if it is an out of bounds decision and you can't tell after a minute, you aren't going to figure it out.

+1 HS
KBonay's picture

Regardless of review, the end of Wisky -Zona game was just flat-out awful. The 'charge' call was ludicrous.  And the 10-min review was just terrible. And I don't think they had 'definitive' reason to overturn that. Just botched the ending to what was a great game. #shameonofficials.