College Sports Forum

College Sports Forum

College sports discussion.

Dohrmann on Gibbons Assault Allegations

gumtape's picture
February 14, 2014 at 1:57pm
19 Comments

In one of several poignant editorials published in The Michigan Daily, which has done admirable work holding the school accountable, the paper wrote: "Attempting to broadly -- and potentially inaccurately -- interpret laws or school policies as an excuse for remaining mute is an act of cowardice."

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-football/news/20140214/michigan-rape-case-fallout/?eref=sihp

Worth the read as he also points out some issues regarding Hoke and his handling of the suspension/injury towards the end of the season.

OSUStu's picture

Before I read anything, fuck George Dohrmann.

If you always put limits on everything you do, physical or anything else, it will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.  ~ Bruce Lee

+10 HS
M Man's picture

And I am on record here at 11W, at the height of Tatgate, saying the same thing.

We agree: Fuck George Dorhmann.

However, saying that might put us both on the wrong side of campus sexual harassment policies.  We would both have needed to have made certain that George Dohrmann was in no way intoxicated, and then we would have had to made sure, by explicit and affirmative verbal communication, that fucking George Dorhmann was fully consented.

This article is garbage.  Let's start with the fact that Dorhmann went to Douglas Smith -- retired pathologist and current gadfly wannabe investigative reporter who is a regular presence not just at Regents' meetings but at all sorts of city council meetings, county commission hearings, you name it -- to cast as the star of this dog and pony show.  Doug Smith, who has done nothing but send out routine FOIAs, bother the complainant, and misconstrue some of the most basic facts on his self-run blog.  Just how creepy is it, that this strange man possesses a photograph of the alleged sexual assault vicitm?

It gives Dohrmann far too much credit for me to Fisk his crappy column.  This case was closed by the police.  If they thought that charges should be referred to the Washtenaw County Prosecutor, they would have done so.  They didn't.  If the prosecutor, knowing about this case via the press way back in 2009, wanted to pursue a case aggressively, they could have.  They didn't.  If anyone thought that Taylor Lewan, who by all acoounts never had any contact with the alleged victim, was guilty of witness intimidation, they could have charged him.  They didn't.  if the University felt empowered to act on a police investigation that had been concluded without charges, they could have.  They didn't.

There is one essential point to be made about this case and about Dohrmann.  He's missed the really big story, burying it more than halfway down; the major story is how the University of Michigan, under fairly intense (albeit general) pressure from the Department of Education's Office of Civil Rights decided to reopen this case as a "student conflict" matter.

I have written elsewhere here at 11W; with all due respect and collegiality with my Buckeye friends, you are one bad night involving one star football player (or even a kicker, Coach Coombs!) from having to deal with this situation.  Imagine a hypothetical; a football starter is accused of sexual assault in Columbus.  The Franklin County prosecutor's office investigates, and finds no basis to bring charges.  Urban Meyer understands the whole situation, and suspends the player for two games, just for having been in the wrong place under the wrong circumstances.  But then the University, seeking to protect its federal Title IX funding, refers the matter to a student conflict resolution panel, which finds that while not criminal, the incident constituted sexual harassment.  And the player is... expelled.

+2 HS
Killer nuts's picture

It is George Dohrman of course but I hope to hear M Man's take on this since he has been very outspoken about the entire thing

Scarlet_Lutefisk's picture
I absolutely guarantee you there are no American soldiers in Baghdad, the girl was dressed like a western prostitute and was asking for it.
+4 HS
mh277907's picture

I didn't realize that "Washtenaw Watchdogs" and author Dr. Smith had a pretty strong connection to UofM. It is crazy that he actually spoke to the Regents and President Coleman about this matter. From everything that I had read from UM sites, it seemed like Smith was some crazy guy with a vendetta against the school. Little did I know that he comes from a family of doctors and he himself has a doctorate and multiple degrees. One thing that I will never understand is how people in positions of authority do not research and investigate to the absolute fullest anything as serious and disgusting as these allegations. The fallout is ALWAYS worse than the initial "bad publicity" that the institution fears. Just a very sad situation and I hope that young lady knows that there is help and support out there for her.

buckeyebobcat

+3 HS
Jack Fu's picture

From everything that I had read from UM sites, it seemed like Smith was some crazy guy with a vendetta against the school. Little did I know that he comes from a family of doctors and he himself has a doctorate and multiple degrees.

"Intelligent" does not necessarily preclude "crazy." Ted Kaczynski graduated from Harvard and got a PhD in mathematics at (coincidentally enough) Michigan. 

+1 HS
mh277907's picture

Excellent point, Jack. I was just amazed by the dismissiveness that the university and the university's followers showed toward this guy.

buckeyebobcat

CALPOPPY's picture

he himself has a doctorate and multiple degrees

Any idiot can get a PhD.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

Goalscorer9's picture

Is this a serious comment? lol

gumtape's picture

I think he means that any idiot can get online and find this web site:

http://www.diploma-world.com/

High and tight boo boo

+1 HS
CALPOPPY's picture

Yes, I am serious. I'm living proof.

I'm a hurtin' buckaroo.

M Man's picture

Doug Smith, as I have posted here many times, was a guy with an M.D. and postgrad training in pathology, who worked in the blood bank at the U-M Medical Center.

He's retired.  And now that he's retired, he's apparently devoted full-time to all manner of personal campaigns.  He's a fixture at Ann Arbor City Council meetings, and meetings of the county Board of Commissioners.  There's nothing too big or too small for Doug Smith to go off on, if it strikes his fancy.

Here's his Willow Run Tea Party Patriots page:  [Disclaimer; I have nothing against the Tea Party.  I'm never been close to a member.  But I am personally a hell of a lot closer to the Tea Party than MoveOn.]  I think this was old stuff; he seemed to be pretty fascinated with whether China was contaminating our precious bodily fluids.  ( I see you, Hodge.)

http://willowruntpc.ning.com/profile/DougSmith

+1 HS
OSU2002Grad's picture

Need a more credible reporter than Dohrmann for me to read any article, even a negative one about our rival. Screw that clown.

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Regarding The Michigan Daily...

I love the Daily and its staff.  There are all kinds of fabulous alumni of the Daily.  And some infamous.  Playwright Arthur Miller, newsman Mike Wallace, activist Tom Hayden, the original Public Editor of the New York Times Daniel Okrent, liberal columnist Jon Chait, Eugene Robinson of the Washington Post, Rich Eisen, Adam Schefter of ESPN, aaaannd... the infamous Rodriguez-hater Michael Rosenberg, ex- of the Detroit Free Press and now with SI.com.  It is one of the best student campus newspapers I've ever read.

The notion that the Daily has steadfastly bird-dogged this case and done a great public service is silly.  First, let's give the Daily for having reported the alleged incident very shortly after it happened:

http://www.michigandaily.com/content/police-investigating-incident-chi-p...

Scratch all "cover-up" theories.  Everybody, and most importantly the Ann Arbor Police Department, knew about this case from the get-go.  Nobody covered up anything.

Next, the Daily had nothing to report thereafter, and did no reporting of any consequence.  Until they were shown (and not given, apparently) a copy of a letter to Gibbons stating that he was expelled.  That might be "solid reporting," or it might be the journalistic equivalent of having been born on third base and thinking you hit a triple.

It's an extremely dodgy thing; the Daily publishing the contents of the letter.  (The Daily has never shown anyone a copy; presumably the fear is that to do so would expose the leaker.  The Daily might not even have a copy of the letter for that very reason.)  We all know that publishing the name of a sexual assault complainant in a private (non-court) disciplinary proceeding is an offense to decency and the proceedings themselves.  To do so to the accused, when his due process rights aren't protected as they would be in court, is very nearly as bad.

gumtape's picture

M Man, I do appreciate your input here and your explanations of some things that we Ohio State fans don't have a lot of exposure to.

High and tight boo boo

+1 HS
M Man's picture

Seriously, the members of the 11W Forum ought to give themselves a round of applause for running the best and smartest CFB blog message board anywhere that I know of.  I appreciate all the space that is so generously afforded here.  I try to add value.

MGoBlog is a great blog with great content.  Just like 11W.  But the MGoBoard is far too often just a mosh-pit and it is routinely disgraceful the way that rivals are treated.

-1 HS
PittBuckeye's picture

We applaud ourselves daily, don't you worry about that.

+1 HS
Chief B1G Dump's picture

I refuse to click on a Dohrmann link, period. The guy is a hack muckraker.
I will say once again, this story sucks for everyone. Either a girl was raped and no true justice was served as Gibbons played out his career then retroactively was expelled. Or, Gibbons has wrongfully been expelled and shamed. Lose-lose.

Either way you slice it, the vultures are circling and thats not good for anybody.
TTUN is our arch rival and I want to beat them in everything...but this is not the way I want them to go down. If police or someone "official" comes out with info, I will give it some merit...but not from this bozo.

My biggest question is, what about Hoke!? He flat out lied about this from the Iowa game through now!

+4 HS