Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XXVIII

+9 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
June 26, 2017 at 4:59pm
28 Comments

We're starting this edition off not with a bang but with a whimper. Now, why should we ever "whimper" in music, you might ask, especially in heavy metal which always kicks off this series? Well, there's more to music and to heavy metal than being louder and faster and more amped than the last song. There is always something to be said for diminuendo and subtlety in music. This first song by Swedish melodic death metal band Opeth is from one of their newer albums where their transformation from death metal to progressive rock is almost complete. This song, "Windowpane," is tragic and quiet and brooding and yet contains within its desperation and darkness a kernel of hope. This is "Windowpane" by Opeth. In this live performance, it begins with Mikhael Akerfeldt quipping "Time for the song that will get us chicks backstage."

Up next we have a song from a band (really an artist with a touring band that formed around him) that always wears its heart on its sleeve. This is the impressively titled "Heimdalsgate Like a Promethean Curse" by Of Montreal.

I don't think I need to really do much to introduce this next song, a classic banger by rap icon Ludacris. This song features performances by Disturbing the Peace (DTP) alums Mystikal (great rapper, terrible person) and 2-0, who at the time went by I-20. This is "Move Bitch (Get Out Da Way)."

And last but certainly not least, another song that doesn't need much introduction. This is a song that fell by the wayside in my imagination if not the public consciousness, a song that I didn't listen to much in the last few years but suddenly have been listening to on repeat. This is "Everlong" by the Foo Fighters. For those interested, there is also an excellent acoustic version of this song performed by Dave Grohl that I'd highly recommend checking out.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 28 Comments