Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XXV

+4 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
June 5, 2017 at 3:25pm
24 Comments

Hey hey, it's me again. Welcome to music.

First up we have a lovely song from French blackgaze (mix of shoegaze (think the Smiths) and black metal) band Alcest. This song "Ecailles de Lune Pt. I" (Scales of the Moon--lovely title in French and English) begins with a gorgeous intro riff that laps up gently like quiet morning waves, giving way to frontman Neige's vocalizations. The song throughout mixes sonic gossamer with more sharp-edged metal tones, threatening to spill into violence but never quite going that far (Part II, which you can listen to if you wish, takes care of that). From what I understand the song is Neige's way of trying to understand the hardship his mother went through carrying him to term when he was in her womb, making it a beautiful tribute to the most important person in anyone's life.

This next one probably needs little introduction. All I'll say is that it's incredible how much Bush accomplishes only using guitar and vocals. You don't even notice that there aren't any drums or bass in this song because quite honestly it doesn't need them. This is "Glycerine" by Bush.

As I've probably mentioned twelve times by now, I've recently gotten into Chance the Rapper, and he in turn introduced me to his Chicago cohort Noname (formerly Noname Gypsy). I'll admit I listen to very little in the way of female rappers, but there's something ineluctable about Noname's flow and her voice. I could listen to her read a phonebook if she did it to a good beat. Luckily she's not doing that here. This is "Mary Jane Love." 

If you're one of maybe twelve people in the world who has never seen this music video by comedy-metal duo Tenacious D (Jack Black and Kyle Gass), then here you go, you're welcome:

Let's bring it back a bit, and by a bit, I mean by about 90 years. Sophie Tucker is a fascinating character in the history of American music, a trailblazer of sorts both for Jewish entertainers as well as overweight women, she possessed a powerful, brassy voice and mixed her musical performances with ribald comedy and vaudevillian entertainment. This song is an old standard by Sophie Tucker called "Some of These Days."

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 24 Comments