Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

MiamiBuckeye's Monday Music Medley XXIII

+12 HS
MiamiBuckeye's picture
May 22, 2017 at 3:27pm
46 Comments

Greetings everyone, time for some more music.

First off, I know from past experiences that there are at least some Lord of the Rings fans here. Well, this first selection comes from a German band called Blind Guardian, who are most famous for their incredible concept album "Nightfall in Middle Earth," an ambitious project which adapted the story of Tolkein's Silmarillion into a heavy metal opera of sorts. This song I've chosen, "Nightfall" showcases the power and range of lead singer Hansi Kurch's vocals as well as the instrumental prowess of the rest of the band. Fun fact: I was seeing these guys live in Ft. Lauderdale last year at the same time that Ohio State was laying the smackdown on Tulsa.

Up next is a song from a band we've seen before, very early on, in this series. This song, from the punk band Fucked Up, comes from another concept album, albeit one with a story I find a little less straightforward that deals with themes of reality vs fiction and the struggles of the working person. What I most admire about this song is the beautiful breakdown toward the end where a new voice, a female voice, chimes in to answer the screams of the protagonist, David. "Do all words can do, David I still love you/ I want you to grow, but never let me go / I'll be a seed in your heart / I'll be with you when you start / to turn and hum again / I'll be a part of your love..." It creates a wonderful complimentary effect of harsh and gentle, light and dark, etc. This is "One More Night."

And because I'm in a sentimental mood right now, how about some good old fashioned Postal Service? This is my favorite Postal Service song, "Nothing Better."

Everyone knows Ennio Morricone, or at least everyone can recognize the distinctive grit and menace in his scores to the films of the Clint Eastwood Fistful of Dollars spaghetti western series. Not everyone may be aware that he also created the score to a comedy western by the name of "My Name is Nobody," complete with an off-kilter, buoyant little main theme that shares the same name. Here is that theme.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 46 Comments