Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY CHUCK LEAVELL (ALLMAN BROTHERS/SEA LEVEL/ROLLING STONES) – APRIL 28, 1952 – TIMH

+10 HS
Whoa Nellie's picture
April 28, 2017 at 2:20am
38 Comments

Well, we’re back for another deep dive into the life of a great musician; one who lets his work speak for itself, disinterested in self-promotion and faux celebrity. Most fans of rock, blues, fusion or jazz have heard Chuck’s perfectly played tastiness, they just didn’t know the name of the guy at the keyboard. And, that’s probably just fine with Mr. Leavell. There's a Zelig-esque feeling to the photos below, but Chuck Leavell is a real, live rock and roll animal who many feel should have a place in the HOF.

Chuck Leavell is a southern boy, born April 28, 1952, in Birmingham, AL. His mom showed her pre-schooler a few things on the piano, but he is largely self-taught. In a life full of watershed moments, when he was 13, Chuck attended a Ray Charles concert and immediately knew how he wanted to make his way. Within two years, he was playing sessions at the venerable Muscle Shoals studio, and had already played on his first gold record. In 1970, Chuck moved to Macon, GA, home of then red-hot Capricorn Records. He played on records by The Marshall Tucker Band, Dr. John and Alex Taylor (James' older brother), and caught the attention of Capricorn’s flagship group, The Allman Brothers Band.

In 1973, ABB was coming to terms with the deaths of guitarist Duane Allman and bassist Barry Oakley in motorcycle accidents. Deciding not to try and replace the irreplaceable Sky Dog, ABB invited Chuck Leavell to join and play piano in stride with Dickey Betts on guitar and Gregg Allman on organ. The band smoothly segued to its new sound, without losing the foundation that defined and made it great. Chuck first appeared on Brothers and Sisters, and became famous for his solo on “Jesssica.”

Allman Brothers Band (1973)

Gregg and Dickey left the band in 1976, and Chuck founded Sea Level with ABB percussionist Jaimoe and bassist Lamar Williams, adding guitarist Jimmy Nalls. The highly regarded rock/funk/fusion jam band blended rock, blues and jazz, producing 5 albums over its 5-year lifespan.

In 1982, Chuck began the 35 years-long phase of his career as “the sixth Rolling Stone” (a tenure longer than Bill Wyman’s in fact). Here’s how it came to pass, in Chuck’s words:

“Back in 1981, I did an audition with The Stones. (Stones’ keyboardist) Ian Stewart was my contact and the person who picked me up at the airport. We hit it off right away. They had heard about me and contacted me to come up to Longview Farm in Massachusetts to try out. It went well, but I didn’t get the gig right away. They took Ian (Mac) McLagan out as he had been touring with them before. Then they came to Atlanta on that tour and played an unannounced show at the Fox Theater. Ian (Stu) Stewart, who I had become good friends with, called me and asked if I’d like to come up and jam with them on a couple of tunes.

The moment came and he signaled me to get on stage, and he left me on piano with Mac playing organ. We did a couple of Chuck Berry songs and it was all really rockin’. Mac was so cool, and about halfway through it all he leaned over to me and said, ‘Ah, you’ve done this before, haven’t ya?’ It was such a sweet thing to say and we became great friends after that. We all still miss both Ians: Stu and Mac. Both left some heavy footprints with The Stones and others. It was an honor to know and to play with them.” Jambase, September 8, 2016

Rolling Stones

Chuck has played keys on every Stones album and tour since Undercover, and is the band’s musical director. As such, he cues the band on stage, has created and maintains archives of every Stones rehearsal and performance, including arrangements, and with Mick Jagger determines each night’s set list. Says guitarist Keith Richards: “Without the continuity that Chuck brings to us, the Stones would not be the Stones.”

In addition, Chuck’s incredible discography and resume includes collaborations with these and many other artists: Eric Clapton, George Harrison, Chuck Berry, Mick Jagger, Keith Richards, Ron Wood, Dickey Betts, Duane Allman, David Gilmour, Aretha Franklin, John Mayer, Warren Haynes, John Hiatt, The Black Crowes, Larry Carlton, Gov’t Mule, Miranda Lambert, The Fabulous Thunderbirds, Blues Traveler, Train, Indigo Girls, Montgomery-Gentry, Lee Ann Womack, Livingstone Taylor, Hank Williams, Jr., Billy Bob Thornton and Widespread Panic.

Works of particular note include Clapton’s Unplugged and 24 Nights, The Black Crowes' Shake Your Money Maker, and John Mayer’s Billboard #1 Born and Raised. Chuck’s most recent solo album Back to the Woods: A Tribute to the Pioneers of Blues Piano is a must listen for blues fans.

In 2016, Chuck toured Europe’s castles and ruins with David Gilmour. A DVD of Gilmour’s return to Pompeii, with Chuck Leavell playing Richard Wright’s parts, is due out this Summer.

David Gilmour (2016)

Chuck has also contributed to many move soundtracks. Outside of music, he is an internationally renowned tree farmer, conservationist and environmentalist. For his birthday, he’ll be playing tonight at the White House Correspondents Dinner Jam with Billy Bob Thornton and The Boxmasters.

If you see him, wish Chuck Leavell a happy 65th birthday!

“Jessica” (Chuck solo at 2:30)

“Honky Tonk Women” (Live in Rio -- Chuck solo at 2:48) 

“Grand Larceny” Sea Level live at Capitol Theater

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments