Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

National Engineers Week - 2017

+7 HS
GoBucks10's picture
February 19, 2017 at 12:43am
78 Comments

Hello there, 11Wers and fellow Buckeyes! In case you didn't know, today marks the first day of National Engineers Week (February 19 - 25), coinciding with the week of George Washington's birthday, considered the first engineer in the United States.

(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Engineers_Week)

If you know an engineer, especially a Buckeye graduate from one of the great engineering major programs at The Ohio State University, thank them for the work they do each and every day. Engineering's influence can be seen all around us, in almost everything we do! From engines, buildings, medical supplies, power generation, bridges, airplanes, cars, gasoline, diapers, food, your children's toys, power plants, nuclear, chemistry electronics, the internet, cell phones, furniture, houses, fabrics, metallurgy, clothing, welding, farming, movies, trains, construction, roadways, sports equipment, boats, and so many more. For those of you with kids getting close to high school or college age who have any interest in engineering (or any STEM field), push them to pursue their interests. There is a great diversity of opportunities in the world to touch almost any field they could think of. Engineering, at its core, teaches problem solving which can be leveraged to nearly any career, even outside engineering. Tell your kids to find their passion, and don't give it up.

Although I was unable to attend the OSU Society of Women Engineers (SWE) Career Fair earlier in the month, I am normally a regular at the career fairs hosted in the Ohio Union.  Couple my career fair connections with extensive on-campus engagement, it gives me great pride to see the continuous improvements the engineering college is making at OSU since I've graduated.  With new majors being developed and the curriculum continuing to expand and adapt, Ohio State engineers are the best in the world.

Thank you to all the engineers working hard to invent, design, develop, and support our world every day! It is, in my humble opinion, the best field in which to work and one that presents me with new challenges to tackle each and every day.

• B.S. Mechanical Engineering, The Ohio State University, 2010
  • M.S. Aerospace Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 2013

https://www.nspe.org/resources/partners-and-state-societies/national-eng...

Also, special shout-out to the engineering majors on OSU's football team.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 78 Comments