Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Do You Tell Kids About Santa?

+7 HS
Jumar's picture
December 21, 2016 at 8:32am
148 Comments

It sure is looking a lot like Christmas. There is snow on the ground, Christmas lights up and Santa is everywhere. Growing up in the late 80s and early 90s it was a forgone conclusion that parents told their kids about Santa. Learning that Santa wasn't real was a sort of "right of passage" into feeling like an older kid. Honestly, I don't remember when I found out but I assume it was around 5-6.

There seem to be less people telling their kids about Santa these days. For whatever reason parents just don't seem to play that game as much as they used to. Maybe parents were tired of not getting thanked for the presents, not wanting to put their child on a middle aged man's lap that they don't know or for some other reason.

What side of the fence do you fall on? Do you tell your kids about Santa or do you take all of the gift giving glory?

Disclaimer: We don't do Santa. We considered it dishonest even if it was in fun and decided not to tell them anything one way or the other. We let them figure it out on their own. Our older two (7 and 5) know that Santa is not real and the younger two (2 and 7 months) are too young to know the difference.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 148 Comments