Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

2016 Tailgate Fare Week 13

+5 HS
BUCKEYE3M's picture
November 23, 2016 at 2:30pm
32 Comments

Happy Thanksgiving, Dubbers. I believe this is the first time I've ever posted the TGF from the Buckeye State, and I can tell you that there is no place like home for the holidays.

I hope that each of you has blessings in your life to be thankful for. And, as someone who had a less-than-stellar 2016, here's to getting this year in the rear view! 

This recipe comes to you from my sister-in-law, who makes it each year for Thanksgiving. It is absolutely incredible, and even kids who would never touch a sweet potato smash this. It's as much dessert as it is side dish. 

Sweet Potato Casserole

INGREDIENTS
For the casserole:
2 pounds of sweet potatoes, cleaned
4 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup milk
¼ cup packed brown sugar
2 tablespoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon cinnamon
1 egg
1 teaspoon vanilla
cooking spray

For the topping:
½ cup packed brown sugar
⅓ cup flour
4 tablespoons melted butter
¼ cup chopped pecans
1 cup miniature marshmallows

INSTRUCTIONS

• Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line a sheet pan with foil and coat with cooking spray. Prick the potatoes with a fork and place them on the pan.
  • Bake the potatoes until tender, 45 minutes to an hour.
  • When the potatoes are cool enough to handle, cut them open, scoop out the insides and place the potatoes in a large bowl.
  • Add the 4 tablespoons of butter, milk, brown sugar, maple syrup, cinnamon, egg and vanilla to the bowl.
  • Use a potato masher or hand mixer to mash or beat the potatoes until mostly smooth.
  • Grease a 9 inch square pan or 2 quart baking dish with cooking spray.
  • Spread the sweet potato mixture evenly in the pan.
  • In another bowl, mix together the brown sugar, flour, melted butter and pecans until crumbly. Sprinkle the crumb topping over the sweet potatoes.
  • Bake for 25-30 minutes or until topping has lightly browned.
  • Remove from oven, sprinkle the marshmallows over the top then return to the oven.
  • Bake for an additional 3-5 or until marshmallows are just melted.
  • Serve immediately.

PRO TIPS 

As with last week, my only recommendation is to loosen your belt and enjoy. 

My apologies for a lack of links, but again, I find myself posting from my handy mobile device. 

Go Bucks - set the Earth reverberating! 

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 32 Comments