Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Trouble staying motivated in college. Need some tips/advice.

+3 HS
PoopOnMichigan13's picture
November 4, 2016 at 10:56am
92 Comments

Im a freshman marketing major at OSU main campus this year(in Fisher College of Business), and Im not doing terrible I guess, but Im finding it very hard to motivate myself to do my work or even go to a lot of my classes, and balance free time with school work. Jus to help you understand my situation Ill give some background.

In highschool I got mostly A's with some B's, and I didnt necessarily have to work very hard, but I did put in a fair amount of effort to keep my grades up. I started highschool similarly to college, in a way, because I went from straight A's in middle school to nearly all B's my freshman year, and now in college Im looking at maybe one A and 4 B's in the first semester after having mostly A's in highschool. In high school I steadily improved my grades each year and ended with a 4.18 weighted GPA(cant remember unweighted) which was top 5% of my class. I do feel like as I get my life more under control it will be easier to motivate myself and get better grades(pretty much hat happened in highschool), but I also know classes arent getting any easier so I will have to put in even more effort/time. Im pretty smart and have never had to put in a lot of effort for school to do well, but I feel less motivation to study now than I used to.

I commute everyday from about 25 minutes away, and I get dropped off because I dont have a car currently, which can make my schedule suck. Since Im not on campus as much as most other freshman, I havent really taken advantage of some of the tutoring centers that I could have. Ive never been someone to like asking for help, mostly because I never really needed it. My professors are all around terrible, outside of one. What are ways I can learn to be successful in a class where I have trouble learning from the professor? What are the best places to get tutoring in various subjects?

I think I have learned quite a bit this semester as far as getting adjusted to college style classes, but I am still adjusting. There are a handful of questions I have that if anyone can answer I would really appreciate it. 

1. What are some ways I can motivate myself more?

2. How important is college GPA in getting a job after graduating?

3. What are good study resources? What are good ways to study for exams?

4. How can I balance getting good grades with actually learning and retaining the information?

5. How can I stay on top of due dates better?

6. What kinds of assignments(and classes) should I prioritize over others?

Also, as a side note Im looking for a job, possibly on campus. Anyone know someplace with a flexible schedule, and a job that isnt going to wear me down physically? Id prefer not to work in food(Ive had my fair share of that crap), but Ill welcome any suggestions. Also, Id prefer someplace within walking distance of campus.

Id really appreciate your guys advice, I figured this would be a great place to talk to some former/current students who can share their experiences. Let me know what you guys did to keep grades up, stay motivated, balance work/school. etc. Seriously, any advice would be helpful because Im typing this as I skip class lmao.

Go Bucks! Fuck michigan! Beat them corn huskers!

EDIT: I just want to say thanks to everyone who commented. I got some great advice and some of you gave some great perspectives that I hadn't considered. Just wanted to clear up that Im not skipping a whole bunch of classes(Ive skipped some), and Im not in danger of flunking out. Ive just struggled to stay organized, and motivated for some of my classes where I feel like Im just teaching myself, and feel overwhelmed with some of the work. My grades havent suffered terribly, but I know they could be better. Im used to school coming very easy, and college is quite different. I havent been sticking to a routine like a used to which has made me undisciplined. This is something Ive been working on and I got great advice on ways to do so. I really appreciate all the comments and advice. Thanks.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 92 Comments