Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

I Get Delirious With Judas Priest - TIMH

+6 HS
WeakSideLB's picture
October 27, 2016 at 11:35am
38 Comments

Prince's seminal album '1999' was released 34 years ago today on October 27th, 1982.

It was his highest charting album to date by far, becoming his first top 10 album, reaching #9 on the Billboard 200 chart. (Rising to #7 this year, after his death).

'1999' was Prince's 5th studio album, but his first to feature the backing band Revolution.  The album produced three singles - '1999,' 'Little Red Corvette,' and 'Delirious.'  '1999' is Prince's second most successful album of all time, preceded by his next studio album 'Purple Rain.'

//////

Today is also the 64th birthday of Kenneth 'K.K.' Downing, founding member and former guitarist for Judas Priest.  K.K. was a member of Priest from its founding until 2011.  Recognizable for his Flying V guitars.

A more bluesy version of Judas Priest was started in 1969 and disbanded.  In 1970, K.K. and some friends took over the band name.  K.K. was with Judas Priest for 41 years and performed on 16 studio albums.  He left the band on decent terms, but felt their live performance was lacking at that point. He lives in Shropshire England on his 320-acre estate. He is developing part of his estate with a championship golf course, a possible hotel, and residential housing.

One of my favorite Priest songs is off their 2nd studio album, 'Sad Wings of Destiny,' called 'Victim Of Changes.' It has this mellow trippy section towards the end that I dig.

/////

Other notable TIMH events today:

Simon LeBon of Duran Duran turns 58 years old today.

Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots would have turned 49 years old today.

Lou Reed passed away three years ago today on October 27, 2013 at the age of 71 of liver failure.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 38 Comments