Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Hurricane Matthew Update from Fayetteville, NC - Ongoing Aftermath

+7 HS
dubjayfootball90's picture
October 8, 2016 at 11:39pm
18 Comments

Hey guys, just giving you all an update for those who care about reading. I am going to start from when I had to pick up my wife from working cal at the hospital at 2:00 this afternoon...

2:00 PM: Heading down the main road of my subdivision, and come to the opening to the main road. Flooded. I was in my wife's SUV, and there were 3-4 cars, on either side of the flooded section of road, toying with the idea of going through. Water was about a foot deep for a length of 50 feet or so... A jeep trudged through, stopped at my window of the SUV , rolled down his window and said: "I would not try it if I were you". I thanked him, but then saw a car go through, so I switched my suv to 4wd and trudged through, successfully.

2:05 PM: Hearing reports on the radio "Do not leave your homes. This is the kind of weather than can kill you. If you do not have to leave your homes, then DON'T". Great things to hear when I am going to pick up my wife.

2:15: PM: All the while driving to pick up my wife, the sky is falling. Rain and wind just pounding the car, not speeding at all. Taking my time and making sure I am not hydroplaning. Get to the Highway, and start driving to the exit I need to get to. Pull on the off-ramp, which is a downhill exit ramp to the main road, winding from left to right around a  bend until you see the main road. A woman and a baby were rescued by the police rescue vehicle, where the water was up the the bottom of the windshield on a four door sedan. I turned around and went back up the ramp the wrong way with my hazards on and had to find a new route.

2:30 PM: I found a new route, but it was dangerous with stop lights out, people going through intersections, people just being a-holes. Turned down the rode to pick up my wife, and it was flooded by about 2-feet of water. I pulled a quick u-turn and found a new entrance to pick her up.

3:00 PM: Got home to the front of my subdivision, got to the flooded entrance, switched on the 4wd, trudged through the 50ft stretch and made it home safe.

3:45 PM: Power went out for a second or two, came back

6:00 PM: Power went out for a second or two, came back.

Roughly 6:30 PM: The front entrance to my subdivision has caved in. The road is now impassable and several hundred families are now trapped in this subdivisions unable to get out to main road, and law enforcement or medics unable to get in. A picture of the front of my subdivision is below

7:30 PM: Reports that multliple dams have broken in and around Fayetteville. there have been 96 water rescues, over 200 people have been saved. Over 400 calls still need to be answered. 4 people are missing (prayers with them and their families).

8:00 PM: Water is out. Good thing wife and I took showers right before the Ohio State game. We have enough water for us and the dog, not worried right now. I just peed in an empty bottle and recycled it so I do not accumulate stuff in the toilet so early.

It has been an experience, that is for sure. Driving to get my wife, I was on the highway, which is lifted above the ground, and I looked over the side of the railings down on parts of the city, and houses had water up 5-6 feet up the sides. Several cars stuck and dead in water. Absolutely unbelievable. 

For interesting videos, visit the Fayetteville, NC Police Department Facebook page:
The following video link shows the exit that I first attempted to get off at, then turned around. Around halfway through the video, there is a white car stranded, with a Mom and her Baby on top of the car. That is the exit I came to, then turned around. I cannot remember if I saw that car or not...
https://www.facebook.com/Fayetteville.Police/videos/1238254379538901/                                                                 The video link below shows a random street and the major flooding in fayetteville, NC     https://www.facebook.com/Fayetteville.Police/videos/1238266322871040/                                                                        Right now, my wife and I are fine. We live on a hill and no flooding. But we cannot get out of our subdivision. But so many people are really hurting. Please keep those in NC, SC, GA and FL, as well as Bahamas, Haiti, etc. in your prayers

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 18 Comments