Anything Else Forum

Anything Else Forum

Offtopicland. Remember: no politics, religion, or hot-button social issues.

Proper perspective on a horrific day - off football topic

+7 HS
Gratefulbuck's picture
September 24, 2016 at 11:37pm
10 Comments

I'm sharing this to remind that there are much, much bigger things in life than football. Today we had a tragic and horrific incident happen in my neighborhood. 

One of my neighbors was out boating today with his wife and another couple on his boat, along with another neighbor and friends on his boat. Both live just a few houses down from me. They went out to an island in the morning and then to get back home in time to watch their FL Gators play. As they were idling down the channel, right near their house, somehow the guy fell off the back of his boat while his friend was driving it. Apparently, neither his wife or friends saw him fall off. The boat started fishtailing, which, caused them to look behind them and saw that he was not on the boat. Details are sketchy at this point, but, my guess is he tried to hang on rather than just fall in. Somehow, he got caught in the propeller of a large outboard motor. It tore his chest up and killed him. Apparently, a very gruesome scene. A freak accident, with an experienced boater. 

I can't say that I was "close" to the guy, we didn't hangout or anything, but, he and his wife were certainly good acquaintance's. He was in his early to mid forties. He and his wife frequently walked around the neighborhood. While out walking my dog, I'd see them two or three times a week. They'd always stop to say hello - maybe not even so much to me, but, to my dog. When we passed his house and if he was outside, he'd come over to see her. He loved my dog, which, made me really him. By all accounts, a very nice guy, and his wife is very sweet. They don't have any children. 

I share this to remind that, of course, there are bigger things in life. Sometimes, crazy shit happens to good people without any explanation  Sometimes, it happens without warning and when it's least expected.

I'm not looking for condolences or anything like that. I just want to remind people to tell those that are close to you that you love them. Everyday is special. Don't sweat the small stuff in life. Because sad day's sometimes come at you from out of the blue without any warning. Fucking crazy shit.

This is a forum post from a site member. It does not represent the views of Eleven Warriors unless otherwise noted.

View 10 Comments